[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should I go to college if I can't afford it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 22sun2web-master768.jpg (123KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
22sun2web-master768.jpg
123KB, 768x512px
In short, I cannot attend college without taking out massive amounts of loan debt because my family simply does not have the money to spend. Education is very important to me so I hope to continue it in some capacity but I am not sure a college degree is worth the price, unfortunately.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm American, if that even needed to be said.
>>
>>17991087
>should I go to college if I can't afford it?
Of course you fucking shouldn't. Get a job and get to a better financial position before you do. You don't even seem to know what you want to study, meaning it's even stupider for you to go.
>>
>>17991087
if you can't get a hold of scholarships and are dead set on college consider the military. it's 4 years of paid service then you get schooling for free. granted the pay isn't great but while active you don't pay rent and such so take that into account with the low pay grades.
If you don't want to do that consider just going to a trade school. education takes many forms.you can become a welder, electrician, or plumber in under two years and make good money. with the option to maybe get a degree later in life.
>>
>>17991096
Yeah, I know it seems like an obvious answer but I know so many people who seriously would not be able to afford a higher education if they had not taken out loans. However, I have even less money than they do.

>You don't even seem to know what you want to study
I don't know a single person who said they definitively knew what they wanted to study except one who wanted to go into business. That's what most 4-year-college students are like here in the US.

I suppose I would be fine just working to save up money but there certainly is a stigma.
>>
>>17991122
>I know so many people who seriously would not be able to afford a higher education if they had not taken out loans.
You're going to have that option later too, you know.

>I don't know a single person who said they definitively knew what they wanted to study except one who wanted to go into business. That's what most 4-year-college students are like here in the US.
Okay, so let's pretend you choose to study say, engineering, now. Two years in, you're struggling, or you hate it, or you're just not interested in it. Then what? You've wasted two years' worth of time and money on something that's going to make you miserable. Does that sound worth it to you?

>I suppose I would be fine just working to save up money but there certainly is a stigma.
So? What's more important, ensuring you have a roof over your head for the foreseeable future, or impressing people?

It's good to have values, but it's stupid as fuck to prioritise them above everything else. I'm not saying don't go to college, I'm saying go when you can afford it.
>>
>>17991102
Even for community college it would be a hefty cost although I could afford it with some loans. However, the community colleges in my state are very poor quality and out-of-state CCs are too expensive since I would have to pay out-of-state tuition.

I'm actually not too bothered if I have to delay a college education. I knew I wouldn't get any sensible responses from those in my community since everyone here sees a degree as absolutely essential so I thought I would ask you guys.
>>
>>17991127
Okay, so let's pretend you choose to study say, engineering, now. Two years in, you're struggling, or you hate it, or you're just not interested in it. Then what? You've wasted two years' worth of time and money on something that's going to make you miserable. Does that sound worth it to you?
No, I know. I'm not agreeing that it's okay to have no idea of your plans for study. I'm just saying it's something that's normalized.

>I'm saying go when you can afford it.
Thanks. That is how I feel too. I feel like it would be remiss of me to not avoid going down a path of copious loan debt since I can forsee it whereas most seem to only discover the rut they have put themselves in later on.
>>
>>17991143
meant to greentext that quote
>>
>>17991087
How much do your parents make and which state do you live in?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.