[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Social Anxiety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20140914.jpg (88KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
20140914.jpg
88KB, 640x424px
Hey anons, how do I deal with social anxiety? I just watched iDubbbz's recent vlog of him going to PAX and it made me realize I could never do anything like that, socialize with people in that manner. I'm just not equipped to handle social experiences and I always end up reverting to just being "that shy dude that never talks unless spoken to" whenever I go into one.

My girlfriend loves going to cosplay conventions but just the thought of interacting with her friends makes me pussy out because I don't want them to think she has a "weird boyfriend". So I guess in addition to my question above, what do I do when I'm in the company of her friends? I'm not talkative, nor am I that much into cosplaying. I feel like I'm just going to be following her around quietly like some scared dog which I probably am. I think this is related to the social anxiety bit too.
>>
Get drunk
>>
>>17988818
I have alcohol allergies, like I get really itchy and red when I drink. It's also one of the contributors to my social anxiety I think. Because I couldn't go out before when people go out to drink
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 500x568px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 500x568px
Pretend that you are in a higher position than anyone else and stuck beneath you in authority, pic related. I can comprehend that this may be considered rude to do so, but having that sort of mindset just for social interaction is what helped me gain a sense of confidence in a quick fix way - of course, though, since that is a quick fix, you will have to work on your actual self-confidence as a whole. Acknowledge the entirety of your personality: the good, the bad, the neutral. Fix what you don't like about yourself, this goes for appearance too. Become someone that you yourself can fall in love with. Slowly, you'll start to gain an actual decent view of who you are and not feel inferior to others, constantly having the "what if" thoughts ("what if they think i'm weird", "what if they laugh about me behind my back", etc.). As someone who used to have social anxiety too, that's all that helped me get rid of it.
>>
>>17988867
*they're stuck beneath you
>>
You have a gf, what more do you need normie scum?

Fuck off.
>>
File: dieyoufags.jpg (14KB, 353x352px) Image search: [Google]
dieyoufags.jpg
14KB, 353x352px
How do you learn what to say, when to say it, how to say it, and why to say it?

I'm doing self improvement in my life with lifting, reading, music, etc... but I still feel like a sperg, and I hardly know how to connect without trying to hard to make a corny joke. Plus I habitually laugh a lot, even at inappropriate times to cover nervousness.

Plus, whenever I talk to a girl that is interested, I get deflated and feel inferior when I see other guys who were/are interested in her. No matter how good I' doing, I think they're doing better and have been doing better far longer than me.
>>
>>17988867
>>17988907
>How do you learn what to say, when to say it, how to say it, and why to say it?
You hit the nail on the head. I can pretend to be above everyone else as >>17988867 said but I still don't know what I should say and when I need to say it. How to say it, etc.
>>
>>17988930
They always say have interests and be passionate about them and it should flow naturally... but all my long term interests have been nerdy (read: empty consumerist media) like vidya and animu. Only 4chan would readily sit and listen to my autism rants about it. And when I think back on how much time I sunk into it throughout my youth, I feel so ashamed I want to die. I could never explain that to someone, but if I dont, I might as well not have a had a childhood. Or teen years.

Starting to develop more interests, especially actual productive and creative ones. But I'm so new at it, that most people either wouldnt care or be wholly unimpressed.

How can I be funny?
>>
>>17988930
Learn from observing others; mimic their actions when it comes to speaking - for example: ever had a random stranger passing by give a smile to you, nod their head in acknowledgment, or give a quick "hello"? That's how one typically initiates contact, whether it be just a quick gesture to kindly acknowledge or them wanting to begin a conversation with you, you can already see the difference in behavior if you compare that stranger to someone speaking to an old friend. Strangers are for small-talk. "Hey", "how are you?", "I like your (x)", the list goes on and on for lighthearted remarks in chitchat with strangers.

You need to identify what kind of setting you're in and what kind of person you're talking to in order to know what to say, when to say it, and if it would be appropriate or not. Now, let's say this stranger isn't just some old lady you're chatting with as you wait in line or something, let's say this stranger is someone you're getting to know - like getting to know yor girlfriend's friends as you said. Lighthearted chitchat still applies, but if you have similar topics you're interested in as them (you mention going to conventions, so I assume you're into anime and video games, things like that) then bring them up. Talk about what kind of anime you like, compliment them on their cosplay, whatever. Being at places and doing things (walking around a convention, checking out the booths and event) gives much more content for you to talk about.

All in all, it takes time, trial and error - you'll be cringing at yourself and wanting to punch yourself in the face sometimes over thinking you conversed awkwardly at first, but you need to take those things and learn from it. Don't let it discourage you, let it be that push for you to move forward and improve. Learn, learn, learn. You can do it anon.
>>
>>17988985
>but all my long term interests have been nerdy (read: empty consumerist media) like vidya and animu. Only 4chan would readily sit and listen to my autism rants about it
we're on the same boat, friend
>>
>>17989004
Sounds like good advice, thanks anon!
>>
>>17989042
Happy to know I'm not alone.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.