[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend one film to everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

Let's get a positive thread around here, recommend one film you think everyone should watch before they die. A film you would be confident putting on for a random group of people in hopes they would like it.

I'll start off with Good Will Hunting.
>>
Locke (2013)

Good Will Hunting was awesome !
>>
Persona
>>
>>17987544

Cheers man downloading it now, I knew I'd find something if I made this thread
>>
Repo! The Genetic Opera
>>
>>17987531
Blue Valentine
literally femanons - the movie
>>
>>17987531
Zootopia

Provide me with criticism my dudes
Idgaf
>>
>>17987565
This movie is cringe incarnate.
>>
>>17987576
If you have literal feces for taste buds, sure.
>>
Man I'm not usually a picky viewer but

>>17987545

1966, can't get over that 50 year time gap

>>17987565

Musical horror, I thoroughly dislike musicals

>>17987571

This looks okay, but from what you said I'm guessing the girl in it is a soul sucking whore, I'll give it a watch if I'm in the mood to feel depressed.
>>
>>17987573

That movie was great, I'm a 25 male and I'd proudly admit that. Solid contribution if others haven't seen it.
>>
Imdb has a list if the 200 greatest movies already.

Just look there.
>>
>>17987586

A lot of them are obvious "classics" voted by older generations. I would rather hidden gems suggested by people on 4chan.
>>
>>17987590
Classics are great for a reason irrespective of what generations are watching.
>>
Just putting this up in case some haven't heard of it yet.

The Green Mile
>>
File: 1466054428241.jpg (15KB, 249x280px) Image search: [Google]
1466054428241.jpg
15KB, 249x280px
>meanwhile on /tv/
>>>/tv/78729439
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (204KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
204KB, 800x1200px
This is the most feelgood movie ever made
>>
La vita รจ bella
life is beautiful

you'll laugh, you will cry. You will be happy and sad. Beautiful film, even if you are sick and tired of holocaust movies i'll guarantee you'll enjoy it nevertheless
>>
>>17987573
Overwhelmingly formulaic. Average at best, definitely not something I'd put on a bucket list of films.
>>
>>17987544

Just finished with that movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Simple plot but effective, somewhat cathartic.

Thanks for the recommendation!
>>
>>17987662
oh god, why did you remind me of that movie... this is awesome. definitely a rollercoaster for your feels.
>>
Requiem for a Dream
>>
on my list for such occasions there would be

it's kind of a funny story
a beautiful mind
awakening
lars and the real girl

guess i'm mentally ill... those are all movies about autists or actual tards. oh well
>>
>>17987531
Cloud Atlas, the only good thing those "sisters" made and they were smart enough to not fuck it up with sequels.

Favorite of all time would have to be directors cut of Watchmen.. that shit is amazing and Dr.Manhattan is one of the only fictional characters I have truly related too. Sad about Alans attitude towards it though.
>>
>>17988085
10/10 this
Only one of 3 movies Jared Leto was actually good in. Requiem for a Dream, Mr. Nobody and American Psycho..
>>
>>17987545
>>17987545
Nice pick. I will watch this today in honor of you, anon.
>>
The film Hereafter is really good.
>>
>>17988096
Cloud Atlas was awful.

Big fan of the book though.
>>
Bride of Frankenstein

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Shop Around the Corner
>>
It happened one night - vintage romance film
mysterious skin - hipster movie with nice music
taxi driver - everyone knows this one, but still good
Buffalo 66 - listed as crime,comedy, drama. don't be discouraged by the title. it's a very nice movie in my opinion
>>
>The Act of Killing
OR
>The Hunt
>>
>>17987531
last airbender
>>
Menace II Society
>>
>>17988119
see the book is always better, but for those who have not read the book it is quite a beautiful movie, see with a book you interpret what context the writer puts each character and situation in, forming your own biases page by page. It is your own private world forged by the author but colored by you, the reader. Thus another persons or peoples, interpretation of the book would not please you as they leave or change aspects they dont believe are important yet you might find are. Books will always be superior to movies, and adaptions always leave someone disappointed... But I digress this isn't the discussion here.
>>
>>17987544
Locke was quite cool! My only criticism of it is that it's visually BORING. The story and the performances are great, but you could literally watch the whole thing with your eyes closed and not miss anything. It's still totally worth watching - I just wonder why they bothered to film it. Make it a podcast or something.
>>
>>17988085
Yeah ok, a very good movie, but you can't just recommend it without pointing out that it's fucking brutal. Def not for everyone. If you've ever known anyone who's had a serious drug abuse problem, this movie might fuck you up.

>>17988160
The only book I've ever read that I enjoyed less than the movie was The Shawshank Redemption. The book wasn't bad by any means, but the movie was pretty much perfect.

Ok, I'll give you 2 recommendations. 1 classic and 1 hidden gem.

Classic: The Big Lebowski (1998)
Hidden gem: Starbuck (2011, in French) This one was remade a few years ago with Vince Vaughn instead of Patrick Huard in the main role, but I recommend the original.
>>
>>17988211
>fucking brutal

The parts that fucked me up the most all involved the mother. Everything else was just bad consequences for bad decisions.
>>
Blade Runner.

If you're into neo noir, cyberpunk or retro futurism, or even just action / adventure / romance this is essential. Plus the new one comes out this year, and its being directed by my favorite currently living director, Denis Villeneuve so it should actually be pretty great.
>>
File: moskva_d6.jpg (251KB, 1341x1540px) Image search: [Google]
moskva_d6.jpg
251KB, 1341x1540px
Check out Donnie Darko. Really makes you think.
>>
I'd like to do two since one is really hard to watch and one isn't.

Irreversible

Magnolia
>>
>>17988316
Magnolia is hard to watch?
>>
>>17988326
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to this
>>
1 - Suckerpunch
2 - Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
3 - Philadelphia Story
4 - Apocalypse Now
5 - The Three Amigos
6 - Dead Man
>>
>>17988343
I remember there was a movie where Tom Cruise is a doctor and a wife of a patient is hot for him, is it Magnolia or some other movie??
>>
>>17988357
Cruise isn't a doctor in it, he plays a pick up artist guru. There is a nurse in the movie but it's played by Philip Seymour Hoffmann.

Really recommend all Paul Thomas Anderson movies
>>
>>17988357
oh wait apparently it's Eyes Wide Shut

Add one to the thread :D
>>
arrival
Watchmen
Lego movie
Layer cake
Big fish
Sleuce
Cashback
>>
>>17987571
>>17988378
Eyes Wide Shut and Blue Valentine
for interesting romances, featuring characters that would probably make threads on /adv/ if there is 4chan in their universe
>>
>>17987531
The Man From Earth
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

It is a good story, it will grab your attention, and you will think. Don't watch it with someone who talks during movies.
>>
Perfect Marigold Hotel
>>
>>17987662
My favorite sci-fi movie
>>
It's typical but you need to have seen these by now

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
Mr. Nobody
I origins
>>
>>17988424
kek
>>
File: youth2.jpg (34KB, 615x347px) Image search: [Google]
youth2.jpg
34KB, 615x347px
>>17987531
Youth (2015)
>>
>>17988352
Three amigos is fucking hilarious. Don't make comedies like that anymore.
>>
>>17987531
The grand Budapest hotel
>>
What Dreams May Come

Waking Life
>>
File: nim.jpg (53KB, 674x1000px) Image search: [Google]
nim.jpg
53KB, 674x1000px
Nymphomaniac: Vol. I and Vol 2

Also wouldn't recommend it if you're close to suicide or feel hopeless with women
>>
>>17988085
Requiem for a Dream aka Stone Cold Bummer (however well-made and orchestrated SCB

other (excellent) SCBs:
The Days of Wine and Roses
The White Ribbon
Sid and Nancy
Pennies from Heaven
>>
>>17988943
All Lars von Triers are awesome SCB films
>>
Das Boot
>>
Mulholland Drive
Mulholland Drive
Mulholland Drive
Mulholland Drive

Quite possibly the most fully cogent truly metaphysical film ever made
>>
Empire of the Sun
The Last Emperor
The Beach
>>
Great old foreign films:

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)
The Nights of Cabiria (Frederico Fellini)
Raise the Red Lantern (Zang Yimou)
The Moral Tales (Francois Truffault)
Ran (Akira Kurosawa)
Red (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
Y Tu Mama Tambiรฉn (Alfonzo Couron)
>>
Boondock Saints
> ultimate bro's kill maffia to make the world a better place
Lilo and Stitch
> witty and quick, very unchildish for a disney movie
Death Proof
> undervalued tarantino, sexy chicks galore
Moonrise Kingdom
> cute sperglord kids run away, indie film with pop actors

Ps: also agree with before mentioned Lars and the real girl and The Green Mile
>>
it has some implausible plot points but Truman Show is awesome.
>>
This isn't a film, but if you were like me and feel like you missed out on relationships and your youth in highschool (or if you just want to enjoy a GREAT love story,) check out the anime Toradora. Im a 24 year old male who will never admit this, but cried at the end.
>>
>>17987531
If you like horror films, Suspiria is one of the best I've ever seen.

Chronos by Guillermo Del Toro is also good, and Ken Loach is great, if miserable.
>>
File: Upstream_Color.png (355KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Upstream_Color.png
355KB, 800x800px
>bizarro /tv/ is /adv/
That's a twist.

Also this.
>>
>>17987531
Annie Hall (1977) dir. Woody Allen

Considered one of the best romantic comedies of all time. I really fell in love with this movie and with Woody Allen's films in general after watching it.
It's by far the best romantic comedy in my eyes, and is probably in my top 3 for sure (if I had a top 3).
Why I'd pick this above any other, is the it's uniqueness. I've never seen such creative thought go in to a romantic comedy.
The way Woody breaks the 4th wall, the way he conveys the different characters thoughts. It's really different.
I also really enjoyed that it was centered around Woody's character, as few romantic comedies give you as much insight from the male counterpart's perspective as this film does.
I think it really holds up as far as humor goes, and how relatable it still is. After 40 years, it's still relevant in a lot of ways.
What I find really charming about this movie is that: while it still holds up, it has that classic film look, and it's set in the 1970's NYC, which gives it a really great backdrop.
It's definitely a classic, and I hope everyone decides to watch it someday.
If you like comedies in general I think you'll love it. Even if you don't think of yourself as a romantic comedy person; I still think you'll really enjoy this.
>>
File: p7349_p_v8_aa.jpg (446KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p7349_p_v8_aa.jpg
446KB, 960x1440px
>>17990719
>>
Memories of murder, its a korean film , really good
>>
Private Parts was on TV last night, and I tuned in.

I forgot how good that movie was, the Howard Stern story is really easy to relate to, and funny.
>>
Look whos back,
This movie was very funny. The ending was a bit cheesy but all in all that just made it better, edgy comedy is great also its in german
>>
The Shawshank Redemption for sure
>>
What we do in the shadows
>>
>>17987573
Loved that movie.
>>
File: 4351441-filth-poster.jpg (117KB, 350x517px) Image search: [Google]
4351441-filth-poster.jpg
117KB, 350x517px
i know of nobody around me who has ever watched this.
>how would one describe this sort of humour?
>>
City of God is really intense. A friend of mine showed it to me a few years ago, and it was the last time I remember being really impressed by a movie. I usually don't like movies much, but I loved this.
>>
>>17990567

Suspiria is arguably the most interesting horror film I've ever seen and I'd agree it is an absolute must-see for fans of the genre. That said, it's hard to give it a recommendation as a good film.

Its good parts are just phenomenal, but there is so much dull filler and the ending was a mess.

Eh, you know what? I'll agree anyway. It's definitely worth it.

Best in Show: Apocalypse Now
Comedy: Animal House
Non-English: Behind the Sun
Horror: Suspiria
Mindfuck: Memento
Traditional Action: Roadhouse
Martial Arts: Fearless
Drama: Field of Dreams
>>
The movie named Kids (1998)? is pretty damn good, but shows a very cold world of tennage life in NYC

I watched it and made me feel empty inside, but rather good that I'm not in that situation.

Would recommend.
>>
>>17991735
Bittersweet Life KOR, Oldboy KOR version trust me, whiplash US, slumdog millionaire US, Gifted Hands KOR
>>
Lars and the real girl
Yes man by jim carey
>>
Okay, how come the vent thread is not allowed but this is?
>>
>>17988112
I was going to recommend Mr nobody. Instead, I'm going to choose Don Hertzfeldt's Everything Will Be Ok, I Am So Proud Of You, and the third part: It Is Such a Beautiful Day.
>>
File: 91DBCbrQPCL._SL1500_.jpg (306KB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91DBCbrQPCL._SL1500_.jpg
306KB, 1060x1500px
>>
'Life in a day', which is actually a documentary but made in an unusual manner
>>
>>17987531

/pol/ was right 2; electroshock jewgaboo, the Mike Pence story.
>>
The film 'A Field in England' is an interesting experience, and is very fun to discuss as there are many implied meanings
>>
Night of the Hunter

Do the Right Thing

Wings of Desire
>>
>>17993196
Kids made me vomit but Larry Clark's other film "Bully" was awesome.
>>
>>17993081
You're welcome Birdman. ;)
>>
Jagten
Fantastic danish movie about a kindergarten teacher being accused of sexually abusing the children
>>
synecdoche new york

wow tons of garbage suggestions in this bitch.
>>
>>17988085
ASS
TO
ASS
>>
laurence anyways
>>
>>17987531
I have several, but I'll roll with my favorite:
>Falling Down
One guy has the shittiest life you can have in NY, no job, got divorced, lost kid, and trying to come home when suddenly, traffic builds and heat worsens.

He flips his shit and decides to take revenge on his shit town for his shortcomings (For example: 89 CENTS FOR A STINKIN' SODA!? HE'S THE THIEF!). He slowly worsens but gets awesomer until the climax...where he meets up with his family at the docks.

I won't spoil the ending, but I will say it's expected.

Remember Beecher from OZ? This is if he decided to have a bad day while sober.
>>
I recently saw a South Korean Zombie movie called Train To Busan. It's zombies. On a train.
>>
File: mist_jane_gun21.jpg (27KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
mist_jane_gun21.jpg
27KB, 853x480px
>>17987531
The Mist
>>
>>17988235
Yes, a masterpiece.
>>
Moon.
>>
Harold and Maude. It's a life changer.
>>
If someone is interested in the effects of childhood trauma and abuse I'd recommend Mysterious Skin, it really got to me.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.