[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So-so relationship with parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 298.jpg (40KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
298.jpg
40KB, 600x600px
Let me start by saying that I am a 34 y-o single male, employed and living alone.

My parents never beat me, always provided for me and my brother/sister. Typical childhood in a 80s/90s white suburb, happy, nothing weird ever happened.

I know you guys will probably look at me as an edgy manchild, but I have such a hardtime connecting and having deep meaningful conversations when I'm alone with them. It honestly saddens me, I truely wish I'd have a better relationship with them. They live 20mins away from my place, but I never call them and only see them once a month or less. There are just too many awkward silences and I'm rarely enjoying myself around them. My mother is one of the most naive and least educated person I have ever known. I love her and care about her, but it's impossible to chat about anything meaningful, since her usual topics of conversation are absolutely mundane and women-knitting-club type of stuff that doesn't interest me That also means I can barely talk to her about anything, since she will simply nod and fake interest in a very obvious way, while I know very well she has absolutely no clue what I'm talking about.

And with my father, well it's a bit better, but he's absolutely beta and bluepilled, while I am the opposite. We used to often chat about movies and videogames (he's still a gamer), but I don't play them anymore, nor do I really go to the movies.

If they invite us (me, brother, sister, boyfriends/girlfriends) to have dinner at their place, I behave totally differently, as I engage into conversations with everyone around the table and never stop talking. Absolutely night and day than when I'm alone with them.

Also, my brother and sister get along really well with them and call/see them often. Though I gotta say my sister is just like our mother, while my bro is just like our dad. Sometimes I believe my mother slept with the mailman or something.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone out there in a similar situation?
>>
>>17986644
I love my parents but they have their own life and i have mine. When they need me they call me and they know that is a two way street. Conversations with them are rarely long or deep because we are all interested in different things, its still ok we all know that there is love and appreciation.
>>
File: engine.jpg (69KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
engine.jpg
69KB, 550x412px
I'm a bit older than you. I see mine about twice a year because they live a few hours away.

Similar situation. I find it best if there is something to do. I took dad to see some vintage machinery show and that went well.

Its always harder with mom. That probably says a lot about why I am foreveralone women wise.
>>
>will simply nod and fake interest in a very obvious way, while I

>know very well she has absolutely no clue what I'm talking about.

great thing about being a grand autismo is that this never occurs to you. just keep rambling long past when everyone else has lost interest.

anyway, op, that doesn't sound like such a bad situation.
>>
but that does kind of suck. my parents can hold a decent conversation.
>>
>>17986644
You don't have direct contact with your parents often which is ok, but it just seems like your connections have died off.

If your bio of your parents, it just appears that you point out their annoyances rather than the contents of what you talk about. If you look at it from their perspective (especially your Dad's), it just appears you once held similar hobbies and interests as a child and those connections died once you became an adult. It is alright for your interests to change, and it is okay to expect your parents to be understanding, but you can't just sit here and complain that family time is "awkward" when you haven't shown to us that you make an effort to talk to them about your interests.

Your Mom loves you and will listen: as long as you're not annoying about it. Your comment about her being blue pilled shows that you talk to her about politics / social ideas. Here's a tip: don't talk to your parents about politics / social issues unless they bring it up first. Talk about hobbies that you are pursuing, potential dates, funny work stories, MEMORIES OF THE PAST. They're your parents, they care about you but they want to be reminded that their child is succeeding. They don't want to hear about topics that aren't about you or someone close to you
>>
>>17987111
Also, just to add to my comment: try and do things with your parents. I think your conversations are awkward because your old connections / shared hobbies died off with your parents and you have little connections left with them. You should try and build more connections.

Talking to them about your current life / past memories and avoiding stuff like politics is one way to build connections, but another is to do stuff with them. Take them somewhere, do something with them. Activities like that help connections, as it gives you new experiences to talk to them about in the future.
>>
>>17987136
Thanks bro
>>
>>17987149
Just... don't talk about politics unless they ask you. Yes, it is sad that they're blue pilled but you should be able to refrain from talking about politics, especially to your parents. Talking about politics to your parents just makes you seem bitter and resentful.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.