[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you figure out what sort of career you want to follow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: industrial_worker_PNG11423.png (270KB, 392x717px) Image search: [Google]
industrial_worker_PNG11423.png
270KB, 392x717px
How do you figure out what sort of career you want to follow?

Everyone says "do what makes you happy", but I don't know how to apply that to myself. During school I liked math and physics more than anything else, and in my introspection I decided to try engineering (more specifically, EE). And almost 4 years later I've made little progress and I'm now a borderline college dropout. That was a huge mistake.

Outside of school/uni, there's not really a whole lot that I do for fun. I mostly play video games (and occasionally do other forms of entertainment in much smaller degrees). And yes, I've considered several times looking for a career that could be applied to that field, like programming or arts. But heck, my field has strong correlations to my favorite thing, and it hasn't helped motivating me at all.

All my friends who are close to graduating, have graduated or are already employed give me the impression that there's no such thing as "doing what makes you happy". Even if that's the case, I just don't know what to do with myself.
>>
>>17985015
try different stuff
unless you get cancer or run over by a truck, you will live to 80 anyways
>>
For me I knew what JOB I wanted but it turns out its just my dream career. Like literal passion. I only put effort into one job and was pissed at myself for this. I then decided not to take the aforementioned "dream" job and just still look within my career for a similar if not identical position at another place. That's really all I can say about it.
>>
Wish I knew.
>>
It's bullshit. You will never be happy working for someone else. Find something you can tolerate that pays decent and acquire the skills and capital to have some other suckers work with you, or find fulfillment outside of work.
>>
>>17985020
I doubt I'll live half of that without job skills and college entry level knowledge.

Looking for a job (despite no training or real life experience) or doing something else all require going through the same decision first: quitting my current school. Hard choice to take when you're old enough to be already graduated and employed.
>>
>>17985015
I always enjoyed being outside and didn't want to go to school until I knew what I wanted to do so I joined the military. Slogged through that, got out and typed "tree" into Indeed on a whim and saw a local company had positions open for climbers. Got that job and now I'm working that and going to school for a degree in natural resource management.

My first advice would be to drop video games. As fun as they are they're a huge time sink and don't give you any skills. In my case I replaced video games with brewing mead and climbing trees
>>
Working on games or entertainment in general is pretty much an 12 hour job, 16 with tight deadlines.
Being passionate about playing video games doesn't mean you're passionate about creating them.
You probably enjoy watching films and series, too. But working on one? Would you do that without the greatest passion?

Happiness is just the consistent struggle to keep your passion alive. It's not a point where you stop and say "ahh, now I'm happy and comfy and won't do anything else anymore". Then you stop feeding your passion and stop growing and that's why you're unhappy, because you want the easy way out, but there is none.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.