[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

my boyfriend acting strangely - please help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: twin peaks.jpg (7KB, 126x122px) Image search: [Google]
twin peaks.jpg
7KB, 126x122px
So I have begun noticing some weird behavior from my boyfriend lately. I guess he's always kind of been this way but I have started to notice it to a greater extent lately as we spend more time together.

He talks to himself incessantly. He goes over conversations and topics in his head over and over, just repeating them on a loop. Sometimes it sounds like he is on the phone, actually addressing another person, but then i'll walk in and he wont be.

At first he tried to hide this I believe, but now I don't think he's really trying to keep it a secret. We'll be in a movie and i'll see him whispering to himself and making strange gestures with his hands. I will come over and see him pacing back and forth in the hallway. Sometimes when you walk in on him doing this, he just continues for a few seconds before acknowledging you, like he can't break it or something.

When I bring it up he just flat out denies it or coughs it up to stress over college, even though he manages school excellently and is never actually talking about that when I hear him.

So am I overreacting about nothing or is this actually odd/concerning? It doesn't make me uncomfortable, it is just really fucking strange.
>>
>>17980529
how old is he? 20?

that's around when psychosis rears it's head

could be a phase?
>>
>>17980529
>>17980537
Yeah. This sounds like psychosis and it's triggered by stress usually.
>>
>>17980529
Symptoms of schizophrenia.
>>
File: 20170111_070811.jpg (247KB, 714x739px) Image search: [Google]
20170111_070811.jpg
247KB, 714x739px
>>17980529
I do this exact same thing. Am I crazy?
>>
>>17980529
he's fine don't worry
>>
>>17980529
My brother does this and he is genuinely mentally ill. It will only get worse.
>>
I've done this since I was a young child, was always able to break it and never knew or realized what I did was not normal, but once I got into highschool I hid it from people and would do it when I was alone. I would mouth words and make gestures in bathroom stalls or whatever wherever I was alone. Now sometimes I do the hand gestures and fiddling behind my head, I still do this full on but only alone, in the shower, bathroom, car bedroom etc. Idk I did a lot of that when I played with toys, I played with toys til an awkwardly late age ≈14-15. Then again I have aspergers. So meh figured I'd give my input.
>>
>>17980537
Yeah he is 22. Like I said, he has been doing this since I have known him, and I would assume longer than that, but he is really uncomfortable talking about it.
>>
>>17980610
What mental illness does your brother have?
>>
>>17980639
Autism
>>
>>17980570
You know, that is kinda what I thought too for a little bit but he does not appear to have the delusions that go with it. But I suppose I wouldn't really know.

Oddly enough, I remember him mentioning a long time ago, in regards to a separate topic, that his mom was diagnosed with depression and OCD, but they always thought there was something more because she suffered from hallucinations.
>>
>>17980529
I do this and have had a therapist, psychiatrist, and have had psych evals done. Had my therapist and psych for over ten years now.

I was ruled out for schizophrenia and mood disorders. They told me I have general anxiety disorder and just had "unhealthy" ways of self-soothing.

I do it either to prepare for social interaction. I do it when I feel like I had a good social interaction, and I repeat the conversation because the conversation made me feel good. And I also do it to vent. When people made me angry and I start saying all the things I wanted to say but weren't socially acceptable.

I generally restrict this self talk to when I am alone. I literally put aside time in my day to do this. However, it does slip out when I am preoccupied and even if there are people in the room, but we are not communicating.

I've caught my dad doing this and my grandpa does it too. My mom does something similar, but she usually just sings to herself or talks to herself about what she's doing.

A lot of it has to do (at least what my therapist told me) is not being "grounded" to reality. Basically, I slowly escalate into this high stress state throughout the day. I slowly become less aware of my surroundings and pay more attention to my racing thoughts. Which causes me to just think and express things outloud.

I would not say off the bat your bf is schizophrenic or even any kind of "crazy". I've been told repetitively that this is just a self soothing thing we do to relieve stress and anxiety.
>>
>>17980642
Hmm, I didn't know people with autism had these kinds of symptoms. These responses are kind of scaring me though
>>
>>17980639
Schizophrenia and he also has aspergers.
>>
>>17980580
absolutely
>>
This actually sounds kinda similar to how my wife acts. She is in her late 30's though, but she has literally always done this.

She'll talk to herself all day and night (I mean actually whispering in the bed in the middle of the fucking night) and do this weird thing with her hands to "cut it off".

She is more vocal about it to me than it sounds like your bf is. She said that she gets these urges to come up with three -has to be three- reasons for everything she sees, as mundane as why whoeverthefuck did something on a t.v. show, to why she loves our kids. And if she can't think of them fast enough she has to repeat them in her head until the urge goes away.

She did therapy a few years ago for it but that went nowhere. She says that it doesn't interfere with her life so it is okay. I guess it doesn't do any harm and I've gotten used to it, but damn was it creepy back when we were younger.
>>
>>17980529
I always hear my mom whispering to herself when she passes the door to my room and I catch myself mumbling conversations when others aren't around, just running over old conversations in my head and they eventually move to my mouth. I wouldn't say either of us are mentally ill, just socially isolated.
>>
>>17980656
Sorry, that was a troll answer.

>>17980659
This guy was the serious answer.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.