[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What career can I pursue with a geology degree? I'm finishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3153.jpg (130KB, 450x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3153.jpg
130KB, 450x366px
What career can I pursue with a geology degree?

I'm finishing up my junior year of undergrad, and plan to get my masters (not sure in what though). I love my major, the subjects are very interesting to me which is why I'm doing it. Problem is I just don't know what I'm going to do with the degree afterwards. Everything I find from google is outdated stuff saying that the oil industry = money, or message boards of bachelor degrees complaining that there's no work.
I'm hoping to find a nice paying job that's enjoyable, but of course I'd be willing to make less if I really loved the job. Obviously you guys wouldn't know what I do or don't like, but I'm hoping you might be able to open my eyes to some of the possibilities. I really hope I haven't wasted my time with this degree.
>>
>>17978425
Oil and pipeline.
Depending on how much environmental stuff was in your studies - alternative energy, etc.
Politics, lobbying, thinktanks

I don't necessarily recommend this, but if you're considering grad school, think about combining a science degree with a business or law grad degree.
>>
>>17978458
I definitely look into this option, thanks! All my major-related courses are environmental related, and we often use real world examples. I imagine I should take some more classes that focus solely on those topics though.
>>
>>17978425
Definitely pursue grad school if it's a possibility; I'm a geology major also, and work in the university to help students meet recruiters.
Yes, most common and high paying jobs are in oil, but they're in high demand. Does your university have a career department? Talk to them. They're going to have more ideas and will advocate for you.
>>
>>17978516
If I were to pursue a job in the oil industry, what would you recommend I get my masters in?
>>
Depending on where you live, if you live in a geologically active area (I would hope you'd know if you do since you've managed to get this far) you could go into research or risk management
>>
>>17978813
I don't haha, but I've known from the start I'd have to move to get any decent job anyways
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.