[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I plan to propose to my gf this year. Not sure when or how or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8058.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8058.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
I plan to propose to my gf this year. Not sure when or how or where but it's going to happen. I'm worried about getting a nice ring. I can't afford anything crazy but I will save up and hopefully by this summer I can purchase something nice. In May we will have been dating for 5 years. I'm 26 and she's 24 and we're ready to make this next step.

How much should I spend on a wedding ring? Where should I go? Jewelry store? Walmart? Online? How do I prevent myself from getting ripped off?

I got her a promise ring after 2.5 years of us dating. It's a small 1/4CT diamond on a 14K yellow gold band. Looks really cute on her and she wears it everyday. I went to a jeweler and he said it's worth $400 but gave me a deal for $225. But I want to get her something bigger but have no idea what's a nice size or price ring. Anyone have any experience with wedding ring shopping?
>>
I believe one month's salary is the standard.

Of course, that isn't an option for some people, especially if they have debt or trouble making ends meet. You've gotta go with what works for you.
>>
>falling for the diamond ring meme
>>
>>17973775

dont waste your money on a useless stone. if she cares, then simply dont waste your life on a useless trophy
>>
Around the $2000 mark or more

>jewelers

You've been dating for 5 years so you should know what she likes

>Go to Jewelers
>Pick ring you like
>"can you do any better price?"
>Keep haggling
>?????
>Profit
>>
>>17973786
Okay thanks. Now I have a general understanding of what I should be saving up for. I'm planning on getting a better job soon so I'd love to add to it or make it larger.

Is a jeweler a good place to pick one up? I heard Walmart has good quality stuff for cheap? Overstock.com any good?
>>
>>17973816
Should I go to a well known jewelry store with lots to select from? Or try a local one in town? I'd imagine I'd be less likely to get ripped off if I went to a well known one, am I right?

Yes I know what she likes. She like yellow gold and doesn't like square cut diamonds. So I'm good to just pick one out and buy it? I always heard you're supposed to go ring shopping with your gf? But I guess that's only after you propose? But I'd like to propose with a ring already for her.

Also how do I know what size to get her ring? What's a good way to size up the promise ring she has? Any tricks on how I can get her to take it off momentarily?
>>
>>17973775
my father was a jeweler for over 30 years and I apprenticed for him for 4 years. where do you live to pay the much for a quarter carrot and 14k gold that's really low quality gold. you should look at reviews for smaller jewelers in your area, the bigger shops have higher mark ups.
>>
>>17973775
This is a good thread.

Congrats OP, I wish the two of you luck on your journey.
>>
>>17973796
>>17973808
I'm sure as hell not gonna pick something out of a quarter machine. Have some class
>>
>>17973832
no the well known ones are like dubbed the price just for a name brand, they say there rings are designer but really that just means over priced.
>>
>>17973834
Pennsylvania. This was a smaller town shop that I went to. This was actually the better of the 2 cause the other one I went to had a smaller size for a higher price. But this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm gonna roll up in there with a couple grand and say I want a nice wedding ring and the jeweler is gonna lick his chops and say here you go best deal you'll get anywhere and I'll buy it and then later on someone with more knowledge is gonna laugh in my face. Where can I increase my knowledge? Are there books or websites I should read before I make the purchase?
>>
>>17973832
tell her you want to get her ring cleaned and then take it to a jeweler to be sized. or go to Walmart and have her try on one of those cheep 8$ rings that are just on a stand. they have sizes 5 through 10 and you could see what fits her while acting like your just casually shopping
>>
>>17973848
yes there is, mostly just look at more then one place. it seems like prices are higher then where I live around you but I'd ever look at some online jewelers. if you get one see if it certified, see about insurance and cleanings. some places will include sizing and cleaning and even free retipping or side stone replacement
>>
>>17973849
Good idea! I'll have to wait until closer to the time I make the purchase in case she loses or gains some weight.
>>
>>17973858
Awesome I'll look into all of that. Thanks!
>>
>>17973862
ring size doesn't change that much, not unless she's going to be gaining like 100lbs. otherwise we'd have to resize rings constantly. she's never had to have her promise ring changed has she? also this might sound silly but as a girl who is married and has a ring on 24/7, bigger stones might be nice but you should get her a lower profile setting. like don't get a ring thats sticks up and is always going to be getting hooked on shit. it's annoying for the girl and they get damaged more easily. I'm always fixing broken settings and bent prongs at work because the ring is pretty but poorly designed. it's best for a ring that's going to be on all the time like that to feel natural on the had. and it will save you money not having to get it repaired all the time
>>
>>17973876
Come to think of it, I don't think she ever got it resized. Sometimes she says she's bloated from her period and the ring feels really tight but it goes away when she's back to normal.

Should I ask the jeweler for a lower profile setting? Or is this just something I should look for? Does having a couple small diamonds on each side make it a lower profile setting cause now it has something around it? Or are you talking about the length of the prongs themselves?
>>
>>17973893
you can just ask if you'd like, it's a specific style. this is a low profile, you can still have side stones, it just means the center one doesn't stick up real high
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 265x190px
>>17973893
the prongs are just the little bits of gold that come up to hold the stones in place. also look for a thicker shank, that's the band that goes around your finger. some jewelers will make them to thin and gold is so soft the ring will bend really easily.

here's a high profile ring so you can see what the difference is
>>
>>17973913
Oh okay I see the difference now. That high profile ring is way too big and flashy. I want to get something that looks great without it looking too bulky and cumbersome. I'll look for a larger shank. Thanks for the tips
>>
>>17973938
yah no problem. and yes the higher profile settings usually look gowdy in my opinion and like I said they brake really easily. good luck with you girl :) I'm sure she will be very happy with whatever you pick
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.