[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I find what I want to study/work with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1480322047060.png (102KB, 251x249px) Image search: [Google]
1480322047060.png
102KB, 251x249px
I'm on a year long break since I graduated high school this summer. I didn't know what to study in college so I took a year off to figure it out. Half my time is up and I've still not come closer.

How do I figure it out? There are so many subjects and jobs and I can't possibly make a choice with the little info I have.

I'm not even sure I wanna go to college and waste 4 years for something I may not even want. But the alternatives seem even worse. I don't wanna be a plumber or something, that seems horribly boring.

I just wanna study something interesting and get an interesting job, but I don't know what's interesting.
>>
File: 1433564629406.jpg (39KB, 732x628px) Image search: [Google]
1433564629406.jpg
39KB, 732x628px
>>17969173
>How do I find what I want to study/work with?
>I just wanna study something interesting and get an interesting job, but I don't know what's interesting.

Hint: It has to do with repeated numbers
>>
>>17969173

Usually people just pick something they believe they'd be reasonably good at and would tolerate. College is some boring shit, no matter what you study, but while in there it's easier to figure out what you might want to do. Swapping majors and picking minors is easier when you know what you're getting into, so getting into a college is the start. You'll die of old age waiting for enlightenment about this and still your expectations probably won't even match reality. Pick something and figure it out along the way. I didn't know what I wanted until I was doing my master's in a field I didn't give a fuck about and now I'm on a semi-pomising job with career prospects anyway, because I made some smart choises on internships and such. Picking the major isn't half as an important choice as people think, what matters more is what you once you're in.
>>
>>17969193

This. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to land your dream job immediately or your life will be miserable.

I wasted 4 years of my post-high school life in your current state. I was trying out so many random jobs. Tried glass blowing for a while, music shops, etc. Eventually I just decided "Hey, I tried welding in High School. That was kind of fun, and the pay is good."

I went to a TIG welding program at a local Community College and got certified in five months. Two classes a week, 6-9PM.

After I finished I went to an agency and they got me a job within fifteen minutes of walking in.

Been working there for almost a year now. Good money, great schedule, good benefits, and it's only my first welding job. After I get another year or so of experience I'm going to apply to somewhere better. For now this is great.

I agree plumbing sounds super lame. But don't waste time, keep moving forward no matter what. Don't become a kid trying to figure out his future before his brain is even done developing.
>>
What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? 20 years?
>>
>>17969211
I'm kind of interested in engineering. Working in a team to create something that works. Aerospace or software mainly.

But I don't know, I feel like I could get stuck in a meaningless job designing boring things and writing reports most of my time. That would not be so fun.

Physics is interesting but I don't think I have the drive and patience and passion to become a scientist.

I'm also kind of interested in economy, but I have no idea about jobs.

So I don't know.

Ideally I want to work a job that I believe in and that is interesting and having an actual impact on something. Or running my own company.
>>
>>17969192
What do you mean?

>>17969193
That seems really risky. High chance of getting stuck with something I would hate for the rest of my life.
>>
>>17969206
I don't really want such a physical job and be a "worker". I want to decide things and create things, I think.
>>
>>17969237

Unless you're on the top of the mountain, you're going to be a worker in some shape or form.
>>
>>17969235
>High chance of getting stuck

You know what has even higher chance of getting you stuck? If you try nothing and sit on your hands and hope for inspiration. This is exactly where career NEETs come from.
>>
File: 1439151866153.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1439151866153.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>17969235
>What do you mean?

Have you considered the huge advantage that comes with being an engineer?
>>
>>17969173

go to a career counselor & take the tests, answer lots of seemingly dumb questions and it will provide a list of career choices

go to public library get book on ASVAB take a few practice tests to see what your skills are
>>
>>17969246
It's a gradual scale. You can be an employed engineer and still be free to make decisions and not just following instructions and doing what you are explicitly ordered to do.
>>
>>17969259
What are those advantages?
>>
>>17969266
I mailed and got an appointment now, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
Not op but I have a somewhat related question. I'm thinking of changing careers and I get really jealous of guys who get to wear suits to work. That dignified look is what I crave. That attire that lets me feel important. I actually wouldn't mind sitting in an office 5 days a week. What careers tend to have this direction and where should I start?
>>
>>17969173
Dont think in studing something you like. You choose anything you dont find boring and do it well, study it hard. Thats the way to do things, dont think just do it. Then think in something to like and proceed alike.
>>
>>17969173
You are wise, anon, to not rush off to college like the rest of the idiots. Find a decent job you're comfortable with. Take your time to grow and learn about yourself. You'll find your way, and you're already halfway there by not being a follower.
>>
>>17970022
>Find a decent job
>No education other than high school

Good luck with that, OP.
>>
>>17969246
But that doesn't mean you can't work your way up. Unless you're a tard, then no one can help you unless you're a major ass suck.
>>
>>17969972
I get what you mean. But I sometimes wonder if they get sick of wearing suits every day and dressing up for something that is just routine.

But banking and law is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>17969173
Find out what you absolutely hate and do that for a week straight. Shit will break you and show you what you do like.
>>
>>17969237
And earn money by doing it? There is a ton of creative projects where you can fullfill your desire, but earning money by working on this ?
>>
>>17970028
I'm in a similar situation as OP, i work at a tree care company for 15/hour, which is pretty good where i live. Im 19, only have highschool diploma too
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.