[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i fucked up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1430267614899.gif (36KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1430267614899.gif
36KB, 720x720px
>college
>got a B- in precalc
>needed a B or higher to move into Calc
>advisor recommends I score higher than a 74 on the online math placement test
>out of fear of retaking a course and getting left behind by fellow classmates/friends I used Mathway to check my answers for problems I did on paper and for the difficult questions I had no clue on
>got a 94, A-, on the test
>huge wave of guilt and fear hits me
>can't sleep
I'll never cheat again guys I promise. It ain't worth the pain. What do I do /adv/?
>>
Look, it would be fucking stupid just because of a B- instead of at least a B not to get further ahead in your plans.

Our school system is fucked anyways and you clearly have the ambitions and skill (imo) to get further. Also, you should not be panicking about cheating in your life, it's just bad when it becomes a habbit. Everyone is cheating, to get further ahead in your life you will most likely have to do some shady or "grey zone" stuff again or you will get trampled by other people or cheated on in life. It's not a cake walk.
>>
>needed a B or higher to move into Calc
You're soon going to find that they have this requirement for a reason
>>
>>17968112
They didn't have you take the test in a controlled testing environment? Jesus christ, they kind of deserve to have people cheat.

How badly would you say you cheated? How much of it was "checking answers" that you got right anyway and how many were out and out cheating?

In any case, I would not report myself. That could possibly get you kicked out of school (what is the policy?) and that really wouldn't do anyone any good.

If you want to make it up and be right with the world, instead of turning yourself in, I would spend extra hours each week doing Khan Academy or working through workbooks to get yourself to a point where you would have scored a 94 on that test for real.
>>
>>17968112
Just study harder if you need to and ask someone for tutoring help. Don't feel bad
>>
>>17968140
It's not like he got a letter grade difference. There's not much of a difference between a number grade of 85 and a number grade of, say, 82.
>>
>>17968112
>What do I do /adv/?

Dont cheat again. Some colleges use cheating as automatic expulsion.
>>
>>17968150
Generally when they have these sorts of minimum requirements, the people at the lower end struggle. Even if he had got a B, he'd probably have trouble, but *might* have been able to do okay. Considering he couldn't get that B, he's going to have an even harder time
>>
OP when you get into Calc, you need to start studying and a lot.

I honestly think Precalc algebra and trig are harder than Calc. Calc 1 is all about derivatives and Calc 2 is all about derivatives backward. Not sure what 3 is about as I only took Calc 1.

I fucking love Calc, but it requires a lot of studying to understand the formulas. They're really easy if you study and have a good teacher like I did.
Just know the only hard part about Calc is trying to find out what the fuck the question is actually asking. Knowing the formulas and derivatives is easy, but knowing what and which one they want out of a backward ass question is difficult.
I made a B in the class. Almost made an A. Forgot to turn in a few assignments.
>>
>>17968133
>>17968144
>>17968146
Currently watching khan academy videos and I'll study a lot more.
>>17968153
Never again. I'm through with cheating.
>>17968156
I'll have to work hard to make up for the large gap. Luckily the requirement to pass Calc I and move on to Calc II is a C- or higher.
>>
OP on the cheating all I can say is that time will put distance between you and it and it'll get easier to rationalise to the point where you never even think about it.

But what I did want to say is when you get into these classes you need to study your ass off. I fucked up at university because while having above average intelligence, I never had a great deal of experience of being challenged and I just decided that calculus and quadratic equations were stupid and beneath me and clearly I was destined for greater things in some other field.

Really I should have just studied hard and recognised what I need to do to apply my intelligence because I was average at it, I wasn't naturally 'gifted' like I'd appeared in everything else so far which was easier and was actually more than likely working at the upper limit of my intellect, but not my potential.

So don't make that mistake, if you are bright then you will take this as a lesson to apply yourself in an intelligent manner.
>>
>>17968156
As someone who has taken PreCalc and Calc, I don't really see why a B or a B- PreCalc student couldn't do just fine in Calc.
>>
>>17968177
>Luckily the requirement to pass Calc I and move on to Calc II is a C- or higher.
Yeah, but you've struggled this far and it's just going to get harder. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but you just need to be aware so that you're super clear that you're going to have to put in a ton of work to get further. I know from experience that it's possible to improve grades, but it does take effort.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.