[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lease law - Acceleration of rent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: izAWJfd.gif (43KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
izAWJfd.gif
43KB, 256x192px
I've been renting an apartment since mid-June. After living here a while, there are several things I find annoying as hell about this place. I want to find a new place, pack up, and leave early.

But I was re-reading my lease and this caught my eye

>Acceleration
>All monthly rent for the rest of the lease term or renewal period will be accelerated automatically without notice or demand (before or after acceleration) and will be immediately due and delinquent if, without our written consent: (1) you move out, remove
property in preparing to move out, or give oral or written notice (by you or any occupant) of intent to move out before the lease term or
renewal period ends; and (2) you've not paid all rent for the entire lease term or renewal period. Such conduct is considered a default for which
we need not give you notice. Remaining rent also will be accelerated if you're judicially evicted or move out when we demand because you've defaulted. Acceleration is subject to our mitigation obligations below

>Mitigation
>If you move out early, you'll be subject to
paragraph 11 and all other remedies. We'll make a reasonable effort to relet and minimize damages after we learn of your early move out or abandonment. We'll credit all subsequent rent that we actually receive from subsequent residents against your liability for past-due and future rent and other sums due.

What does "reasonable effort" entail? Can these people just jerk off for a month and slap me with half a year's worth of rent?
>>
>>17967662
>What does "reasonable effort" entail?
It means they can't sit there on their asses and demand you pay up what you owe them

>Can these people just jerk off for a month and slap me with half a year's worth of rent?
Depends on what they do when they jerk off for a month.

Either way, you owe them the rent for the rest of the lease immediately if you move out. If there's 6 months on the lease left, then you owe them 6 months' rent immediately
>>
>>17967662

have you EVER rented an apartment before ?

i'd say NO

that is standard clause in USA and the apart mgmt could care less how quickly they rent it out because you are responsible for the rent $$ until end of lease

unless something like hurricane destroys unit or serious mold infestation etc
>>
>>17967692
Yes I have, but I've never had to move out early.
Guess I'll have to find my own replacement renter or just tough it out.
>>
>>17967696
>my own replacement renter

yikes be careful with that too because even with sublease you are still responsible for the rent, so if your sub-tenant does not pay you then you have to do the eviction stuff, if they trash the unit then you have to pay for it, if the neighbors complain about noise, then you have to deal with it, you have to run credit check etc etc

possibly you could talk to apt mgmt you've been there 6 months they might let you go early if you agree to pay some extra rent based on what the lease rate would have been for 6mo instead of 12
>>
>>17967696
>>17967733
Not to mention, some leases do not allow subletting
>>
>>17967733
>>17967739
But subletting is different from a notice of intent to vacate and finding a new renter, isn't it?
>>
>>17967808
Yes. The latter still means that you've left early and broken the contract (lease) though, so you're still bound by the terms of the lease. The lease is between you and the landlord, and a new tenant would have a lease with the landlord too. As far as the landlord is concerned, you have invoked the acceleration clause and are bound to pay the remaining rent. Some landlords might be nice if you just talk to them, but they have a legal right to go after you if you leave, even if you find a new tenant.

If your lease allows subletting then that's an option for you, but if it doesn't, you're stuck here unless you're prepared to pay the remaining rent immediately.

Why do you want to leave?
>>
>>17967832
Loud neighbors upstairs (have complained, no change)
Dogs shitting everywhere
No A/C
Comcast only unless I want to be limited to 7Mbps
Spiders
No cabinet space in the bathrooms (my own fault, should have caught that)
Far too many inspections (3 in the ~6 months I've been here)
Location of this particular apartment makes it hard to bring in new furniture
>>
>>17967877
None of that stuff is really enough to warrant it being the landlord's fault, really. You're stuck there until the end of the lease.
>>
>>17967882
Never said it was, I just want to leave.
Like I said, might just have to tough it out.
Oh well. I get a bonus soon. Maybe I can swing a down payment on a nice condo.
>>
>>17967892
>Never said it was, I just want to leave.
No, but I asked because depending on what was wrong, the landlord might be in breach of their obligations and could give you an out.
>>
>>17967898
Oh well, guess I have to find a stalker then I can legally move whenever
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.