[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

today is my first day of college what advice could you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 88r.jpg (20KB, 439x780px) Image search: [Google]
88r.jpg
20KB, 439x780px
today is my first day of college

what advice could you guys give me? im going into engineering
>>
Just bee urself :)
>>
Hope you like math.
>>
>>17965325
GL man.

What kind of engineering?
You NEED to know (and preferably enjoy) math, you're gonna be using it for the whole degree.

Symbolab//Wolfram alpha will help you a fuck load.
>>
>>17965348

im looking at electrical. but im curious about mechanical as well. as far as i can tell the first year wont matter as much. but im pretty sure im going to be getting into electrical engineering

ill check out those two things you suggested
>>
First year engineer here too. But over on the mother land we start in September.

I'd say try and find your social group asap. Join the societies that are relevant to stuff you enjoy. You'll find a lot of people who enjoy the similar things quickly. Try and make as many friends the first few weeks. Sure they might not end up your best friends but you might need them, and you're gonna be around for 4 years so better be sure you have people you can speak to whenever. Be charismatic.

For maths try and Google tools that will solve it for you if you don't know it. Theres integration calculators that do all the work for you and will show you the steps to show you how to do it
>>
try to make friends with everyone ,
and stay on top of your studies
>>
>>17965358
>>17965360

this is something that i absolutely cant stand

"trying" to make friends. last time i "tried" to make friends i felt like a needy puppy, or something. i dont know if i can go out and specifically start talking to people with the intentions of befriending them

math is fine. i do math for fun. but making friends for the sake of making friends? i hope they dont grade me for that lol
>>
>>17965366
you don't have to be pathetic or do anything sycophantic , just be open to the idea of meeting new people even if they don't necessarily share your exact interests or whatever
>>
>>17965325
>engineering

study study study

almost all the engr classes are sequenced, which means what you learn in class 1 you will need in class2 and then in class 3 etc

so if you fuckup early on it will snowball
>>
>>17965357

mechanical engineering master race here

study a lot, don't fall behind
force yourself to love math if you don't

fuck bitches get money
>>
>>17965325

Attend every club and event that even slightly interests you. Life is more about who you know than what you know. Even if you get your degree in Engineering, you may end up in a career that's far and away from it.

Get a part time job.

Don't skip classes. You'll form a bad habit if you continually do it.

College isn't as hard as people like to say, but that doesn't mean you can blow off your classes/material and get A's in every subject.
>>
>>17965325
Find part time work at a nice local restaurant even if it's just bussing tables.. Save the money you make. You will be earning real world experience, saving money, and networking with others while your peers are blowing a semester of tuition over-doing it with drugs and alcohol.

Oh, be ready to change majors if you find that you're not enjoying your classwork.
>>
>>17966053
Don't listen to this idiot, go ahead and try everything your youth has to offer you and dont be afraid to spend the little money you might have, i used to be really stingy with money and now i regret it.

After all when you are old you dont even have the time or the energy to spend it
>>
If you have problems procrastinating make checklists of what you need to do, or make a schedule and stick to it.

Join clubs you're interested in, even if you're worried you might look like a fag. Who's the bigger fag, the kid having fun in the a capella club, or the kid sitting at home alone on 4chan? I met some friends in the dungeons and dragons club, shit's fun.

Do your homework. You should have plenty of free time, use it to your advantage.

If you've done your homework, have studied enough, having fun socially, and you STILL have lots of free time, get a job ON CAMPUS. It's important to get it on campus, because your boss will know you're in school and will be more lenient with giving time off to finish a project or to study for finals. Off campus jobs can be alright, but nothing beats being able to walk to work.

If you can't get pussy, go on /soc/ and post your tinder profile in the tinder general. They'll tell you what to fix.

Give yourself a day or even just a period of time where you can do one of your hobbies. Read in the library, play video games, ride a bike, etc.
>>
>>17965325
I went to college for engineering (nuclear) and dropped out. My best friend completed an electrical engineering degree and has been working in the power production industry for 6 years now, I also have several other friends who are engineers as well.

First things first, just go to class. I know that should go without saying but that is the downfall of many college students. No one is forcing you to get up in the morning and attend classes, you MUST do it. Don't ever think, "eh, I'm tired / don't feel like going to that class today, it won't matter if I skip it this one time". No, just go to fucking class, if you start skipping occasionally then it's a slippery slope and you'll eventually start skipping more regularly and might even stop going altogether.

Don't procrastinate on homework or studying. Work on that stuff as it comes in. If you don't understand something then make use of your professor's office hours and ask questions there. Get some tutoring if you need to. Grades are your #1 priority, never forget that.

Take summer internships. You probably won't get one your first summer but for engineering, it's absolutely critical that you have summer internships your final two summers. Engineering internships also pay pretty well from what I've seen.

Join a club that will look good on a resume. My best friend was in a club focused on recycling, they did trash pickup on campus and at parks and community outreach trying to get people to recycle more. They'd go out and pick up trash at a park for a while and then go a club member's house that evening and drink beer and recycle the beer cans afterwards, they'd have booths and pass out flyers with tips on how people could easily separate and recycle stuff at home.

It's alright to do some partying now and then but only if your grades are good, your homework all caught up, and you have a good grasp of the information you need to know for your upcoming tests. Make friends with other engineers to study with.
>>
>>17966136
cont'd

Make friends with other engineers and hang out with them. Hold each other accountable and have study sessions instead of partying on the weekends if you need to. It's much easier to study like that than if you've made friends from other, easier majors who have the luxury of partying every weekend and doing a minimal amount of studying.

Take a full course load, At least 12hrs per semester but ideally 15hrs, don't overdo it and try to take 18hrs a semester. Don't be afraid to drop a class occasionally and re-take it the following semester if you're hopelessly lost and need to focus on other classes to make good grades. Don't make a habit of dropping classes at the first sign of hardship though, it's a last resort but every engineer I know has dropped a couple of classes and had to re-take them during their college career. Take advantage of winter mini-mesters to knock out easy bullshit classes that you're required to take.

Stay on top of group projects, don't be afraid to confront other group members and call them out if they're slacking off. If they refuse to carry their own weight then don't be afraid to talk to your professor about it. Dead weight sinks ships, you don't want to sink because of some other slacker.

It's fine to date and have relationships in college but don't get too serious and sacrifice homework or study time to maintain such relationships.
>>
Don't spend too much time on that PC that isn't homework related. Don't procrastinate or party too much.
>>
>>17966075
My point wasn't that he should completely prevent himself from having a good time. You're right to call me out on this.

But he has his whole life to learn and grow. Developing healthy habits now will enable him to enjoy life that much better in the future.

Hopefully to the point where he doesn't end up "old and [not having] the time or the energy to spend it." You regret being stingy? Having a job now will teach him how to manage money. He'll be able to spend his money when and how he sees fit simply because he earned and saved it responsibly.

A little work and discipline now will enable him to grow and mature in a much more healthy way that will not include the kind of regret you are experiencing.
>>
How did your first day go OP?

I went through my first semester a fucking wreck, didn't really socialize, didn't keep up with my grade, made a habit of missing classes, and eventually failed like 3 courses.

This semester, i'm playing my cards differently. Socializing and keeping on top of my grades.

First of all, grades, stay on top of em, don't let your assignments accumulate. And due at 11:59 sunday means due at 11:59 sunday. In highschool I could turn my grade from a D to a B+ in a single day by doing all my missing work, that doesn't happen here.

Second of all, socialize. If you want friends, just talk to people in your class, lots of professors make you introduce yourself or some socializing event on day one. Usually Uni's have a welcome week where all the clubs go looking for potential members. If you like videogames, join the videogame club, why play vidya alone when you can play it with others?

If you want women, well same thing, clubs, class, or cold approach, all of those have worked for me in the past.

Use all the resources provided to you, tutoring, free food events, free software on campus, etc.

You would be surprised how easy going most Uni kids are, my ride bailed today at school, so I offered a stranger a joint to give me a ride home, made a new friend.

In highschool it was so hard for me to find people who liked the same things as me, but in Uni its all fair game, I found out today the people in one of my groups for a class are also trump supporters. (Generally taboo on college campuses)

For me, I just approach people who might be cool, talk to them, if they are cool I might make a new friend, if not then no harm done. There is a spot on campus where people go to smoke cigarettes, I quit a long while ago, sometimes i'll bum a smoke off someone just to talk to them, or i'll go to the campus cafeteria/coffee shop and strike up a conversation based on anything really.

Oh, make friends with your professors/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.