[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roommates. I don't even fucking know anymore.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1429731137720.jpg (137KB, 615x820px) Image search: [Google]
1429731137720.jpg
137KB, 615x820px
So I recently moved out on my own and had a stint of really awful roommates right after another.
>Mike
>friend of mine for three years, in a hard spot with his ex and is looking for a place to stay
>quit his job a week after moving in
>cooks every single meal with dishes and just tosses them in the sink for me to deal with
>went through 18 of my 24 beers that was still sealed that was for a BBQ the same night that I was taking there
>after six weeks I told him he needs to pay and he just ups and gets out
>Tim
>advised he was signing lease prior to move in, but never did after three weeks of dealing with tomorrow I just said fuck it and didn't want to even speak to the asshole anymore
>complaints over the cost of everything, "WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE?" "Internet is 50 bucks a month.. and between two people that's 25 dollars each. BUT WHY IS IT ALL SO EXPENSIVE? It's 1/2 of all the costs. We went over this." "YOU JUST DON'T FUCKING GET IT."
>his girlfriend stays over for a straight month
>leaves on two weeks notice, after advising he was supposed to stay a full month AFTER the current month
>tells me he now remembers that conversation
>leaves in 2 weeks without paying utilities or rent
>Jeff
>moves in on the 12th of December
>goes to jail on the 7th of January
>tells me he isn't going to pay this month's rent, because he's in county 45 days and not staying here
>have all of his things to deal with here

I don't even fucking know. How do I get a not shit roommate? I had a fucking lease agreement with the previous one, but I looked into having it enforced by the courts and it was more of a hassle than it was fucking worth.

I'm lucky I make more than enough money to cover the place on my own, but I could really use the secondary income to help with savings. But fuck roommates are awful.
>>
>>17963552
Roommates usually suck.

But seriously you gotta screen these dudes better and get first and last.
>>
I take it you don't have the luxury of getting a roommate you already know and can trust?
>>
>>17963568
Correct. Thought Mike would be that someone I knew and trust, but he proved me wrong first.

>>17963558
I put up an add asking for a deposit this time and it's comical that three people I've spoken too so far have already told me that they couldn't or wouldn't pay a deposit.
>>
>>17963552

Trust me i have been there, in a situation ten times as worse. It ended with one roommate being arrested and the other evicted, no joke.

Long story short is when you take applications for rommates you should at the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM

1) Run a background check and credit check (typically you can charge the roommate for this when they apply)

2) Call and talk to at least three forms of reference with a pre-set list of questions (good resources online)

3) Call at least the last two landlords they stayed with (again appropriate questions can be found online)

4) Call there current employer (again questions online)

5) When they see the home there is a long list of questions you should be asking them along the lines of where do you work, how much they make, why they left the last place etc...

6) There should always be a thorough application including much personal info (found online)

7) Absolutely no one should be moving in without signing a contract first, signature, then key.

8) Have enough money saved up to cover unpaid rent and an eviction lawyer.
My mistake was not taking these steps, if i had i would have avoided the situation. This is bare minimum, and if you dont have all this ready and prepared you should not be renting.
>>
>>17963558
>>17963590

Yeah first, last and deposit should all be taken before a key is taken as well. Many states allow up to 3 months of rent being required as deposit. If you can afford to pay all the rent yourself then you absolutely have the luxury of being picky and taking your time as to who lives in your house.
>>
>>17963552
>>Jeff
>>moves in on the 12th of December
>>goes to jail on the 7th of January
>>tells me he isn't going to pay this month's rent, because he's in county 45 days and not staying here
>>have all of his things to deal with here

To deal with current ass hole, evict him, plain and simple. You dont need to give notice if he never paid rent. Contact a lawyer and get him out. You may not even need a lawyer in court as it is pretty easy to evict with lack of rent so long as you do your research.
>>
>>17963552
Also you should have eviction notices on hand to dole out the second your roommates dont have rent on time, really sets the tone about how serious you are.
>>
>>17963601
Let me rephrase, sorry.
>He paid for Month #1.
>He goes to county jail.
>He's now not going to pay for the next six weeks because he's not living here. He's living elsewhere.
>now have all of his possessions in my home.

>>17963590
Thanks. I'll use those.
>>
>>17963630
>He's now not going to pay for the next six weeks because he's not living here. He's living elsewhere.
>now have all of his possessions in my home.

Yeah, same thing still holds. You can absolutely evict him for not paying rent regardless of circumstance. And he does not sound like a consistent individual i would trust to keep living in my home (not necessarily for safety but practicality)

There's a lot of good resources online if you're willing to dig through it all. And make sure the advice is tailored to your state in particular.

Also keep in mind that regardless if anything has been signed if you had a verbal agreement to have someone stay in your house for a certain sum of money each month you must evict them. In almost all states it is illegal to throw away their things, place their things outside, change the locks, etc... which could result in you paying him for you breaking the law (though with eviction you could do all these things but never before)
>>
>>17963662

So long story short, if you can afford it, get these lame-o's out of your house legally asap and start over after doing many hours of research and consideration over the general laws in your state and of each individual potential tenant.
>>
Question if you all are still around, anybody know about withholding items until paid?

He's still behind on utilities and now rent for the month. And apparently my state requires a full month's notice for the tenant to terminate the lease.And his was a total of 5 days. And his cellphone, ipad, and laptop are all here alongside all of his clothing.
>>
>>17963586
well that's pretty simple. obviously toss those first thing. Then find people who will pay, get a couple of references (job and residential), google them, and pick the best. Your intuition is obviously useless so go on facts and history
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.