[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hard decisions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: air force.jpg (94KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
air force.jpg
94KB, 1024x1024px
I was offered a contract by the Air Force. it leaves mid-February. the job sounds great, but has very stressful training for about 2 years, and the contract is for 6. meaning i cannot leave until i'm 30. so if i hate it, i pretty much have to deal with it. yes, there are a lot of great benefits, but i don't know if i want to give up the freedom i have for them.

i'll have limited to no free time nor privacy for years, a lot of stress from training, i'll leave my friends behind, and worst of all, my mother has cancer.

her doctor thinks she only has a few weeks to live. it's unlikely that she will live to see me graduate from basic training, and i really want to be here for her while i can. my father passed away a little over a year ago, and she's the only parent i have left.

she tells me to go. she tells me the future is important. she's right, but that doesn't change the fact that i love my mom and want to be with her while she's still here.

i just don't know what to do. any input would appreciated, especially if you're in the air force and love it/hate it.

thanks.
>>
>>17961516
Have you talked to a recruiter about pushing back your job due to family emergency?
>>
>>17961516
A job vs. the last time you might see your mom.

Fuck the job.
>>
>>17961519
yes. i did it in november when she suddenly got worse. he offered me this contract and said it would be fine if i needed more time. but i have second thoughts about joining anyway. delaying for a new contract just delays this decision. if he doesn't give me a contract by april i will need to go to MEPS again, which honestly is a pain in the ass for everyone
>>
>>17961516
pararescue?
>>
>>17961543
cryptologic linguist
>>
>>17961516
Take it from a veteran: don't do it. It's absolutely not worth it.
>>
>>17961553
elaborate why, please?
>>
>>17961516
>>17961545
details on the contract m8?
gonna grad in June in linguistics and planning on going to military after
>>
Crypto linguist is a sick, sought after shred. I was interested in it years ago when i enlisted. The wait was something like two years. So yes, you'll be passing up this oppurtunity most likely. Read that sentence again. Its just a position in honestly a wealth of cool possibilities. I imagine you're going to regret picking it over what could be the last bit of time with your mom. Your ASVAB score is obviously very high. There will be plenty of oppurtunities each month, maybe two during a bit of dry spell. Sorry to hear this.
>>
>>17961516
OP, this will sound shitty but if you do decide to go make sure you have the address for the base you'll be training at. Don't worry about the specifics of where you are in regards to it the mail will find you.

If you're in basic and your mother dies they'll need the letter from the hospital as proof to release you for the funeral and all the related stuff. I don't remember how long they give you away but they'll explain it all to you.

They'll seem like assholes but they will be human enough to let a recruit see their dead immediate family.
>>
>>17961555
Zero privacy or peace of mind at all times; you basically don't get to disconnect *at all* and that wears on you. Young enlisted tend to marry the first thing with a pussy that'll touch their penis after basic, not only because they're generally pretty dumb, but also because they're so desperate to get out of the barracks.

The culture loses it's charm very, very quickly. When you get to your first duty station you'll see that the military was nothing like you imagined. You'll get to enjoy the experience of answering to shitbag NCOs. You'll get to destroy your legs because the military still thinks running 6+ miles a day is a good idea.

I could go on. It's hard to give specifics without knowing your reasons for wanting to join. Suffice to say it's not worth the headache.
>>
>>17962257
>>17961516
Other veteran here.
They're right.

The military isn't like you imagined it. Hell, it's not like anyone has ever imagined it. I was with Army brats in Basic and they were still surprised.

There are three good reasons to join the military:
>I want them to pay for college.
>I have no other options in my hometown.
>I wanna to do my patriotic duty 'murrica yee-haw!

Otherwise you'll find out it's a trap. Having been in for over four years, I can tell you that's the maximum amount of time you'll be OK with it: four years max.
Anything else will see you hating life. It's good for a change of pace, a guaranteed place to live, and some schooling, but that's about it.

You will be worked to the bone some days and more bored than you believed possible the next.
They will get you into shape, then keep trying and break down your body and give you to surgeons payed per the operation.
You will be given under 2000 dollars a month, then have over 500 of it taken away, and then told to go buy a duo set of 200 dollar uniforms.

There are some weirdos that absolutely love it. From reading that I can promise you're not one of them. Nothing wrong with that, because I'm not one of them either. Over 95% of the people in right now aren't one of them.

The military sucks. It's just how long you can stand it sucking for, and what else you're leaving behind to deal with it. It wears you down blisteringly fast.
>>
>>17962319
Vet you quoted. Thanks for putting it much more eloquently than I did, I'm running on caffeine at the moment. Pardon me while I shamelessly expand on some points you made.

>I can tell you that's the maximum amount of time you'll be OK with it: four years max.
Anything else will see you hating life. It's good for a change of pace, a guaranteed place to live, and some schooling, but that's about it.
Agreed. If one has no prospects or direction the Military is a great place to find a heading and not piss time away. That is it's sole purpose. If you have anything that resembles an education, skill, or plan, stay away.

I also agree that 4 years is about as long as most people can take it before they start to lose it; there's a reason re-up bonuses are so generous and you can retire at 37 if you enlist straight out of high school. There's also a reason you almost never hear of people doing that.

>You will be worked to the bone some days and more bored than you believed possible the next.
This. Fuck, this. And OP you really don't know the fuckery of this until you've experienced it. Garrison duty is a special kind of hell. God help you if get on some shitbag NCO's shitlist.

>They will get you into shape, then keep trying and break down your body and give you to surgeons payed per the operation.
The one guy I know who was in from age 17 to 38 (oh right, forgot to mention, they'll drag their feet processing you out) is finally living his dream of living abroad in Asia... he also needs a knee brace and a cane to get around on days when it rains. That's what happens when you run 6+ miles every day for 20+ years. He's not even 40. And he needs a cane. I cannot stress this enough.

>You will be given under 2000 dollars a month, then have over 500 of it taken away, and then told to go buy a duo set of 200 dollar uniforms.
Want internet in your barracks room? You'll have to pay for it. Want to eat remotely healthy? You'll have to pay for it and

CONTINUED
>>
>>17962434
CONTINUING

figure out how/where you'll cook it. Want to spend some of it on a video game console/books/personal effects? Better hope you don't share your quarters with anyone or you can count on people helping themselves to your shit while you're out of the room, and of course the occasional theft.

>There are some weirdos that absolutely love it. From reading that I can promise you're not one of them. Nothing wrong with that, because I'm not one of them either. Over 95% of the people in right now aren't one of them.
The other 5% are some of the most insufferable people you'll ever meet.

>The military sucks. It's just how long you can stand it sucking for, and what else you're leaving behind to deal with it. It wears you down blisteringly fast.
This is pretty much /thread, OP, you're talking about giving up your last days with your mom; pardon my fucking French, but are you out of your goddamn mind?

Stay with your mom. Go to school. Travel. Do something better with your life.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.