[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Right major for relocating to the US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: earrings.png (80KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
earrings.png
80KB, 500x281px
So heres the deal,
I'm looking to get a degree that will get me into the United States on a work visa one day. So it has to be in demand, ideally STEM.

However I'm really fucking stupid, awful with numbers and the only science I have any understanding of is Biology (which as I hear is at the lower end of STEM majors). No programming/cs knowledge either sadly.

People recommended me nursing, however that is not something you got to university for over here sadly and as such wouldn't qualify for a work visa even if I worked here as a nurse for some years.

Anything else? Any STEM major I could still manage to get into without a lot of brain nor prior knowledge? I wouldn't mind putting in a lot of work while studying, its just that with the big majority of majors I do not have the required foundation of knowledge to even give that a shot (and trying to get on level would take years at this point).
Any other degrees that are in high-demand and that people do tend to forget about?

Not here to start discussion on the (US) Immigration system or laws, so please spare us discussion on that if you can.
Also I know that chances are fairly high that no such major exists and that I should feel bad for even making this thread.
>>
>>17956933
>People recommended me nursing, however that is not something you got to university for over here sadly
Student visas are a thing too, right? Would it be possible to apply to colleges in the US and relocate if you get accepted?
>>
>>17956943
Sadly I do not have the necessary funding to study abroad in the US. International students tend to pay more than locals (and even more than out of state US residents) and scholarships usually aren't open to them.

Furthermore I would need to leave the US post graduation - unless I would be able to line up a job afterwards (which I wouldn't be able to do unless it was an in-demand degree).
>>
>>17956949
Do you know anybody in the US who would be able to help you find work? I think it's very difficult to get a work visa unless there's an employer in the US who really wants to hire you.
>>
>>17956955
>Do you know anybody in the US who would be able to help you find work

I do know plenty of people that would go a long way to help me get hired somewhere, however given the amount of work and money necessary from an employer to get me a work visa it usually is not possible for most small (or even medium sized) businesses to hire immigrants.

>I think it's very difficult to get a work visa unless there's an employer in the US who really wants to hire you.

it is unless you got an degree that is very sought after, if you do things do get manageable.
>>
>>17956962
I think you'd do much better by studying something where you have real skill and talent, then trying to force yourself into a "sought-after" career path that doesn't come naturally or easily to you. Like, the US might have a high demand for brain surgeons, but not for half-rate brain surgeons with shaky hands. Know what I mean?

I'm not saying that to be cruel, I've just seen many friends go through college with a very similar mindset to yours (minus the need for a visa) and they've really struggled to make things work in the professional world. Because they ignored their skills and passions, and let their parents push them into career paths where "there's lots of jobs."

So is there something you've always been good at, something that's really fascinating to you that you'd LIKE to learn about? Don't plan your future around what you think other people want you to do. Take the time to get exceptionally good at something you like doing, there's ALWAYS demand for passionate, skilled people in any professional field
>>
>>17956976
>So is there something you've always been good at, something that's really fascinating to you that you'd LIKE to learn about?

Not really. I am very into History and Political Science though I have found myself very disappointed with it once I did actually start taking it at university.
One of the reasons I am looking for something else, something that would actually involve work from my part.

>there's ALWAYS demand for passionate, skilled people in any professional field

Right, but the United States has enough passionate, skilled Liberal Arts majors to fulfill their needs in that field.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.