[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some advice concerning my future.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: what-to-do.jpg (31KB, 266x384px) Image search: [Google]
what-to-do.jpg
31KB, 266x384px
Hello folks. I'm in quite a pickle, and i'd like to hear your input on my situation, if you want. Sorry for any mistakes in my english, and if the sotry is too convoluted.

I am (?) a medstudent. You see, i've entered medschool for 2 main reasons: to please my parents, and to feel proud of myself for a change... but, ever since the first semester, i wanted to quit it and do something else (like biology, which i prefer over medicine).
But, since my parents asked me several times not to, and because there were some complications in my home, i didn't, and i kept pushing it as far as i could, but showing little interest in the career.
Don't get me wrong, i do love helping people out, i'm just not that interested in the medical career itself... my plan was always to just graduate, have a superior education degree certificate, and attempt to join the Federal Police of my country.

Well, now here is the real problem: i've started failing the semester. I've already failed twice, and i'm sort of ashamed, both concerning my parents and family, and to return to the same uni and see the same teachers again... also, i kind of just want to earn my own money, instead of depending on my parents for everything, which made me go ahead and try to apply to a career at the Military Police of my city... it is a respectable job, with a decent enough salary, so i could survive on my own, and think better on what i should graduate on.

In your opinion, what should i do? I know that i'm the one responsible for my failures, but i've lost the little interest i had in medicine when i felt that i was 'forced' to do it by the situation i was in.
>>
> i've entered medschool for 2 main reasons: to please my parents, and to feel proud of myself for a change
>I know that i'm the one responsible for my failures, but i've lost the little interest i had in medicine when i felt that i was 'forced' to do it by the situation i was in.

You responded the question yourself already. Feeling no interest, being forced to study something for X motives and failing is a clear indicator to reconsider your career path and also what really interest you.

I recommend you to read Cal Newport blog :http://calnewport.com/blog/archive/. He often deals with students with the same problems as you and he has a lot of articules about it.

This article for example is similar to your case: http://calnewport.com/blog/2009/12/17/the-grade-whisperer-karens-overbearing-parents/
>>
>>17956959
This article deals with the topic when other people influence your choices: http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/08/08/the-unconventional-scholar-dont-discuss-your-major-with-your-parents/
>>
>>17956959
>http://calnewport.com/blog/2009/12/17/the-grade-whisperer-karens-overbearing-parents/

thank you for your reply, and for indicating that article. I will read it.

I want to clarify something: i don't mean to throw the fault of my failures on my parents... afterall, it was me who applied to all those tests to enter medschool in the first place, and it is my fault entirely that i am failing so much, since i didn't apply myself enough, but i just find to be excited and interested enough, you know? everyday that i had to go there was a complete drag, even more so whenever i thought about the tuition fee they had to pay.

Also, giving more detail about the police career i've applied to... i've already passed the mental test, but the rest of the entry exams (medical and etc) are only going to happen on the 2nd semester of this year.. which kinda sucks, since i don't know what am i supposed to do until then.
>>
>>17957037
And how did your lack of effort manifest? For example: procrastination, depression, lack of sleep, etc..?

Also, i don't feel that the reasons you applied to medschool will take you on the long run. This self blame you have will not help you either. Why do you need to prove yourself? And if you really want to do it anyways, why do you need to do it by going to medschool (or by having a career)?
>>
>>17957240

I procrastinated a lot. I was so pissed that i had to go to that place everyday that, whenever i got home, i rarely had the patience to revise what had been teached during classes. It doesn't help that my university used a method that forced group discussions, and i've always hated discussing in groups, especially when everyone is trying to look smarter than the other (which happened frequently).

The proof i had to give was to my family and high school colleagues... i felt, back then, that they looked down on me... although maybe that was just me.

I kind of just want to not feel like a weight to my parents, you know? i want to finally earn my own money, to be free and do the stuff i want without having to ask for it, but i hate having to wait all this time to only then maybe try getting a job... to me, this is more important than the career itself.
>>
>>17956920
Severely stupid people like yourselves is not suited to study medicine. Fuck off before you retards kill somebody.
>>
>>17957432

Fair enough, i have been told that already... by my own mother, no less.
>>
>>17957406
As Cal Newport says: "procrastination is not a character flaw, but instead evidence that you don’t have a believable plan for succeeding at what you’re trying to do."

We all tend to procastinate at some level, but when it starts to greatly influence our work/life, it may be something more deeper than the usual "i'll do it later". If you don't have any real interest about medschool, then you'll experience experience hell.

I advise you to clarify yourself: about your life, career and educational goals and seek to do something beyond pride, money or satisfy other people expectations. We're talking about your hapiness and desire to be free so think this very carefully. Keep doing research about the things you're experience, talk to someone close to you about this or a counselor; anything will help. If your goal is (financial) indepence and feeling in control with your life, then take the first step, the step that you may be afraid of taking.

Wish you the best, anon
>>
>>17957520

Thank you, anon. It does mean a lot to me. Thank you for listening, and trying to help me out. I do wish you the best, as well, whoever you are.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.