[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a millennial, should I just kill myself? My boomer parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: 1426707186932.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
1426707186932.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
As a millennial, should I just kill myself? My boomer parents and their generation anally fucked every generation that followed. I can't get a job, I can't pay off my debt, I'm stuck with a useless degree because "it doesn't matter what degree you get, anyone will hire you!".

This is fucked up and I don't see any hope for the future. How do I get the balls to an hero?
>>
Why do you feel like killing yourself just because you're being held back from joining the rat race and sitting in a cubicle answering phones for eight hours a day, five days a week, for the next 40+ years of your life?

To me that sounds like pure freedom, but then again I also have enough money saved from running the hamster wheel for five years in a lucrative field to live a comfy life for at least a decade, before having to worry about running low on funds.

> TL;DR
Get rich or die trying, I guess.
>>
>>17953971
You make the best of your circumstances. Don't let them tell you what gives your life meaning. Most all boomers are ignorant of just how badly they fucked up the country.

If they tell you it's a marriage/family know that they are talking through their asses after destroying the institution of marriage by legalizing no-fault divorce.

If they tell you it's getting a fulfilling job, remember that it was they who have outsourced unparalleled numbers of jobs to foreign countries.

If they tell you to buy a house, look at the house that will be about 10-times your annual salary after taxes for the same kind of home they got for 1.5 years of their then salary.

They are the last people in the world to be telling you what you want, and yet, my fellow millennials continue to lap up that they say should be our dreams. Don't buy into the long-term relationship, job, and house delusions. Those were amazing prospects for your parents, not for you. Do what you want to do. The casual sex market has never been better, travel you countries who love whites is still within most budgets, and video games are still fun as hell. So, while others chase bygone dreams, I'll be here playing games like Twilight Princess and Dark Souls after lifting to improve my Tinder matches. You are your own happiness.
>>
If your parents were successful and you were able to attend university I can understand these feels. It is unlikely you've had to struggle against anything tangible and now you've had a 'decent upbringing and education' you are wondering where the world that was sold to you is.

Thing is, you've had it easy. Your biggest issues have been emotional ones concerned with meaning, purpose and finding something to pit yourself against. It is only now you've found something hard and you are giving up at what is the first hurdle?

First off, I'd take comfort in the fact that the world you've been prepared for and sold on was the world that worked for your parents generation. They might try to hold you to their standards, but ironically their world is the one that is losing relevance and fading, it is our world and experiences which are actually coming into relevance.

So don't feel bad that you aren't a success by their standards because their standards were only really appropriate in their time. Be a success by the standards of those around you. I'd argue that old people didn't exactly make a good job of the world and didn't leave a positive legacy so success is kind of a subjective concept.

Like the old dude at world who keeps badgering me about pensions. Just because he is invested in that ponzi scheme he has an interest it getting everybody else on that bandwagon. I'm a bit more like "does a pension account for migration, climate change, instability in the labour market and the ever increasing pensionable age?".

My parents are kind of irritating. They are retired and spend all their time travelling and eating and drinking and basically complaining about the world while being detached from the realities of it. They have no stake in a workplace or a community, they are just walking wallets. I'm not taking life advice from them.

Look man, once the old people are dead we'll just vote all that shit out of society within a couple of generations and it'll be a bad memory.
>>
Yes, please become an hero and relieve us the burden of dealing with your whiny ass. Or, y'know, stop making excuses for failure before you've even tried.
>>
honestly just kys. Buy some helium and just give up, u fuck.
>>
>>17953971
Sounds like natural selection.

You have no idea how easy you have it. Rather than work to fix it you take the easy way out. Typical millenial
>>
>Lol anon just find a job
>You have a stem degree you'll be fine
>Just keep looking! Something will come up!
Meanwhile the local engineering firm has fired 100s of employees over the past year and it's only gotten worse. A lot of them have been with the conpany for decades and they're still let go without a warning.

I'm not even a hard liberal, but I'm ready to just move in the middle of nowhere and start a commune. Anything is better than dying in my parent's house.
>>
>>17954069
I'm genuinely interested in how it might or might be easier. Try picking a life goal, any life goal, and explaining how it was easier to obtain that goal as a boomer than a millennial. Please no void goals like 2017 college degree or student loans.
>>
>>17954088
a life goal that was easier to do as a boomer than as a millennial*
fug
>>
>>17954088
Stop falling for the "baby boomers had it easier" myth. The white picket fence thing is a myth.

For most of human history you worked on a farm. You grew up knowing you would work on a farm and die doing that. The baby boomers are the only generation (that you think) had it amazing.

Anyway, ignoring economic progress that you're whining about. Our technology is amazing. 30 years ago they would never believe the stuff we have it now.
>>
File: 1448777501763.jpg (32KB, 598x465px) Image search: [Google]
1448777501763.jpg
32KB, 598x465px
>>17954034
Pretty fucking solid. Is that copypasta?
>>
>>17954097
>Stop falling for the "baby boomers had it easier" myth. The white picket fence thing is a myth.

Oh yeah, totally a myth. My parents definitely didn't just walk in and find a job that pays well with benefits with nothing but a high school diploma, and get a nice house and raise a family on a single salary. They had it just as hard as we do!

Besides, we have TECHNOLOGY! Oh, but you can't afford a $600 phone? You're clearly just lazy and not working as hard as everyone else.
>>
>>17954097
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've internalized that life goals are harder to obtain now than for the boomers. Still, I thought it would be interesting to hear from someone who thought differently. Oh well, back to more labors for less rewards than they got. Nothing we can do about it.
>>
>>17954115
>Stop falling for the ... myth
I think he conceded that it was easier back then. Goals wise, anyway.
>>
What is happening here is this kind of weird revolution like a second industrial revolution.

Huge companies develop and exploit labour in order to grow. Labour demands better pay and working conditions and equality for both sexes. Jobs introduce multiple layers of management, marketing, process control, health and safety, human resources etc. They demand everybody be educated to a high standard and hold certifications and training on the most basic things. The margins become razor thin as a result and we start to lose manufacturing to countries who have lower labour costs. These companies start to fail over time and their business model cannot adapt, plus management and ideas people who are good at thinking of things, but not getting them done naturally consider themselves the vital part of the business and drag it out. This is what I'm seeing happen here.

So what is left? People still need jobs. People still need goods and services. So here it is like for every huge company that fails a bunch of smaller start up companies enter the market.

The workers I'd label as generally exploited by modern standards because these companies offer zero hour contracts or no contracts, they expect people to be self employed and provide everything themselves. They skirt around health and safety and legislative requirements by being a small business and having next to no proper procedures. You need to be able to get shit done for terrible pay and plenty of it wouldn't be suitable for women, disabled people etc which is illegal.

In return is an exciting opportunity to work where you are touching things you'd have had to be in a role for 40 years to get at previously. The pay sucks, the physical aspects of the job suck, the job insecurity is real, but don't you want to make a name for yourself working at the cutting edge of an industry being involved throughout all levels from start to finish, tested by the ultimate judge? (basically all out of work if this one batch doesn't sell)
>>
>>17954115
You're really proving baby boomers right about the beliefs they hold about millennial.

So what if things were better for them? Grow up and plow through it. Instead you would rather complain and kill yourself because you are supposed to have the highest standard of living.
>>
Travel to somewhere you'd not usually want to got.Use The Hero's Journey by Joseph Cambell and you will come back ready for your future
>>
>>17954115
>Besides, we have TECHNOLOGY! Oh, but you can't afford a $600 phone? You're clearly just lazy and not working as hard as everyone else.

Wow, tell me about the time baby boomers had affordable smart phones?
>>
>>17954139
>Smart phone
>Life goal
?
>>
>>17954142
You brought that up faggot

So tell me, what are life goals?
>>
>>17954139
My dad was handed all the newest tech for free, from the job he basically walked into. This is back when calculators cost over a grand.
>>
>>17954130
You're right. I need to focus on what I want, not what they want, like >>17954021 advised.
>>
>>17953971
>As a millennial, should I just kill myself?
Yes
>>
>>17954148
You can get a calculator better than what he had for nothing. Unless you want your own hoverboard and LHC working at McD's
>>
>>17954097
I don't think it is a myth. My parents came from isolated farming backgrounds and studied 'trade' level jobs after leaving school at 14. They got married at 16 and bought a house immediately having my sister and me about 3 years later.

We moved house three times by the time I was 10, each time a decent 'upgrade'. My father earned £400 a day repairing mining equipment and my mother rose up through ranks as a nurse to become the head of a hospital department. They had two cars, we had international holidays at least twice a year and both my sister and I were sent to university.

In my first proper job I was earning less than £6 an hour. My father said "if you can't earn at least £400 a day you've done something wrong, I won't get out of bed for less than that".

Both benefited heavily from union involvement, something which was completely denied to me. When I left university houses cost around £30k. Within 5 years the same houses were £120k. On paper my parents are property millionaires despite knowing nothing about property or having done anything extraordinary to accrue such a sum. That alone colours their thinking and behaviour.

They both retired on good final salary pension schemes. Something which will never happen to me. I'm not saying they didn't work hard, but they weren't exceptional in how hard they worked or how smart they played their hand.

For me I had to stay at school until 18. I was encouraged to go to university until I was 21-22. My parents were raising two children, progressing nicely on a planned pathway in unionised jobs which were a product of paid training from the age of 14 and had just about paid off a house at this point.
>>
File: 1437788272982.jpg (43KB, 597x960px) Image search: [Google]
1437788272982.jpg
43KB, 597x960px
>>17954088
How about you fuck off and pretend you're "every millenial"? I'm a millenial as well and I'm not sitting here complaining about how the world didn't give me everything I ever wondered, Go fucking kill yourself, along with every other pampered coddled fucking millenial there is.
>>
>>17954171
oh my god so many errors in that post I'm really tired I'm gonna go now

BTW you do have it much fucking better now though, you're just fucking lazy and entitled is what I meant.
>>
>>17954155
Yeah, and in 30 years you'll be able to get tech better than today's best smartphones for nothing. What the fuck is your point?
>>
>>17954180
What is your fucking point?

Really, just kill yourself my man. You are not cut out for this world
>>
People aren't necessarily lazy, there has been a huge change in the way the world works.

One is in the about of labour required to perform jobs. Automation has revolutionised agriculture, military service, manufacturing and is continuing with online shopping, support, AI chat bots and other developments to reduce the number of people required in service, health care, retail, sales, so many fields. Meanwhile the world population has gone up massively.

So what do you do when a factory that used to employ 500 people now runs on 20 staff? While the area it is within increases its population from 50k to 250k?

They can't all be lazy.
>>
>>17954182
I think his point is about what 'cutting edge tech' represents. Calculator or smart phone if it is considered top of the line and it is valuable then it has meaning as 'cutting edge tech'. You are going to feel like you are doing well in life if you possess it. It has status.

Almost like social mores are subjective and dependent upon their time. Which is another good reason to not focus on how good others might have had it in the past and instead focus on what you've got here in the present. After all the whole issue is an inability to accept the reality of that spilt milk.

I wouldn't argue that someone had it better, I'd instead seek to accept things for how they are and look to do better with what I have.

I'm sure in 50 years time while we'll be skulls stuck on spikes overlooking a radioactive wasteland we'll all be laughing internally at youngsters who are complaining about how they've got rat for dinner.
>>
This is not the place for you to ask this question.
You came into the world nonexistent anyway
>>
Rule 1 in life is not to take advice from the older generation seriously. It has nothing to do with "boomers", it goes for everybody in all countries. You can't blame someone else for every stupid decision you make.
>>
Sounds like you made some shitty decisions and now you have to live with them. Stop blaming everyone else for the situation you put yourself in first and move forward from there.
>>
>>17954182
This world is changing and adapting far faster that the ideals of the previous century can handle. This is the age of lightspeed information transfer, immense automation, and total computerization. The thought that the ideals of yesterday still apply is laughable and it is high time that we as a species oust the primitive politics, economics, and mentalities of yesteryear and replace them with something more robust and adaptable. The rising cost of living coupled with stagnating incomes points to a broken and obsolete system. There are thing in this life that we NEED to live in this modern world. Food, water, shelter, electricity, healthcare, and, hell, even the internet. We have to pay for these? Why? Is the best we can do? Really? Right. We possess the power and technology to do away with poverty and hunger. We can remove the want in the world and gibe EVERYONE the freedom to truly live their lives. Yet we still are squabbling over petty ideology differences like religion and what rock we call home. It's fucking asinine.
>>
>>17954303
Or we all could build a better world. Together. For our children and their children. We Don't have to live like this.
>>
Hell, our money is backed up by DEBT of all things! A concept! Not even something real and tangible! All of this will come tumbling down around us unless we DO something!
>>
>>17954332
You sound like some edgy teenager my man. There's no way you're above the age of 23.

I know this sucks. I'm tired of living with my parents despite making $40k a year. That's just the way it is. Stop bitching about it
>>
>>17953971
You should just kill yourself... You sound like a bitch. I'm incredibly ashamed to be technically called a millennial, because there are so many whiny little bitches like yourself. You make us all look bad. I was born in the mid 80's so yeah I'm a millennial. I will say that people like you make me look like an all-star though for just doing what I do because most people get the impression millennials are poor workers. I wonder why? Oh it's because you little shits don't understand respect, responsibility, and company loyalty then on top of that you expect everything to get handed to you. When it doesn't you throw a fucking fit.

I've worked my entire adult life since I was 15. My first job was pushing carts for a box store in South Texas and boy it sucked but I did it and did it well. I worked hard every day at every job I've ever had. Which has only been 5 so far because I don't jump ship like most millennials do when something upsets them. I've never been unemployed and I've never been debt.

You're just an idiot if you can't find a job. You're either not trying hard enough or you expect a higher salary. It's probably the latter and so you totally are an idiot for thinking you are owed something. YOU AREN'T OWED SHIT.
>>
>>17954484
Ha! You simpering mongoloid. I work my forty, I live a good life, and I pay my bills. You're the type of person who would see it all burn. You missed the ENTIRE point of what I had said but oh well.
>>
>>17954451
I'm 26 and live on my own. I'm not bitching about what's happening right now, it's the future that is at stake.
>>
>>17954553
Oh, and I've worked my entire adult life too, fuckface
>>
>>17954558
If we keep up with what we're doing now, we'll all die horrifically. When the vaunted nations and economies come crashing down around us, when there's no good soil to grow on, when the oil is gone, you'll see exactly what I mean.
>>
>>17954171
See
>>17954119
>>
>>17954572
We can't afford to waste time with money, borders, or ideologies. We have one shot to save our species from itself. One shot. The private sector won't, it'll devour us. The government won't, it'll control us. We can't waste time on the dreams of the past. We need to move on for the sake of everyone alive and everyone who will ever be alive.
>>
>>17954602
Dude, move on from this "sky is falling because capitalism" mentality.

Things are getting better. Get off reddit
>>
>>17954602
>>17954622
>America
>Capitalist after FDR
Also, your ideals will never come to pass without incentive. People will continue to live in the moment and make decisions that benefit them but not their children, like the boomers passing the immigration act of 1965.
>>
>>17954622
Missing the point. Yet again. Things are only getting better for the moment. Another crash WILL come. Just ask the economists of the world. Tell me, would you put your faith in a car that only worked half the time? Would you trust a police officer who only followed the rules part of the time? Capitalism, communism, all of the isms have SERIOUS flaws that leave too much room for poverty, hunger, disease, and war. We can beat these enemies and we can do it NOW. We have the technology to reach to the stars for fucks sake! We are a magnificent species that can do SO much BETTER. All of us, each and every one, are little balls of potential that can achieve so much and yet we're dragging ourselves down every day. There's so much we can do! So much we can provide! The dream can happen if we set aside our differences and LISTEN for once!
>>
>>17954638
Don't you think I know that? We're breeding a generation of greed and weakness.
>>
File: religion.jpg (508KB, 780x3690px) Image search: [Google]
religion.jpg
508KB, 780x3690px
>>17954602
Government might be the only option. It's the only entity without a primary profit motive. Losing more freedoms will suck, but how else can we push aside religious freaks for the common good?
>>
>>17954700
Maybe. Not this iteration, though. We need something new.
>>
We live in a brainwashed society, they programmed us from birth to want things we don't need. Take the time and evaluate everything you have, and eliminate what doesn't truly serve you. Minimalism is a beautiful thing, but it's difficult to become used to. What you need to do is to get back in touch with nature. Go out, try living off the land, get back in touch with your ancestral roots. Materialism, greed and manipulation is destroying us from within. Stop listening to everyone else, and take the time to find yourself. If you don't do this, then end your life right now, be a fucking coward like the rest of our generation.
>>
>>17954700
Did someone just read Das Kapital?

Listen man, I can tell you're new to this. You're acting like some revolution is right around the corner
>>
>>17954721
I Don't know about him but I'm not. I've watched people devour each other over such primitive and backwards ideals every day. Religion, greed, politics, all of that divides our species and will continue to push us towards the edge of doom. Don't get me wrong, if we can figure out how to fix this path we're on I'm all for it. However, I Don't see this happening. We need change, we need progress, we need to get off this rock and into the stars! Think of what we could become! Think of what our species could be!
>>
>>17954719
I like the way you think. Nature needs preservation. Just like our species.
>>
You are a US citizen, and can afford to go to college.

Fuck off
>>
>>17954736
>>17954736
Woah, way deep man.
>>
>>17954744
Sarcasm. Yet you can't give me a single reason why this isn't the case.
>>
>>17954553
>You missed the ENTIRE point of what I had said but oh well.
"I can't get a job, I can't pay off my debt, I'm stuck with a useless degree because"
>can't get a job
>can't get a job
meaning you don't have one or you at the very least you have an incredibly shitty job.
>>
>>17954721
No, there is no revolution around the corner. I think we're fucked barring some technology breakthrough/miracle. Overhauled, outreaching government just seems like the only proactive solution to me. What's your solutions?

>>17954736
It's cringeworthy thinking of all the money the US wastes on a standing army and coventional weaponry they'll never use. That money should be going to space/ocean/general research.
>>
>>17954748
Why bother? Even kid fresh out of college thinks he's got the world figured out.

You'll grow out of it eventually.
>>
>>17954741
College does not guarantee a wealthy job. Some people Don't have that option, either. Some people have families to feed. Some people have been forced into our inhumane prison system. Don't assume that your experience is everyone else's.
>>
>>17954752
I have a good job, thank you very much. Do not presume my life.
>>
OP is an insufferable faggot lol
>>
>>17954756
Fresh out of college? Ahahahaha! Idiot.
>>
>>17954761
Then do no reply to a post that wasn't directed at you stupid fuck. I referenced OP in my original post you obtuse motherfucker.
>>
>>17954755
I completely agree. We Don't need more war and death.
>>
>>17954764
Oh, you haven't moved past that phase yet.

Don't worry some people take longer :)
>>
File: patty_melt.jpg (137KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
patty_melt.jpg
137KB, 1280x800px
>>17954719
100%. We're brainwashed to buy luxuries. The more shit you own, the more it owns you.
>>
>>17954769
Erm, it is labeled as a reply to me. Mongoloid.
>>
>>17954772
Ahhhh. Idiot. I see the big picture! We can't sustain this shit! Really! The resources of the world are FINITE.
>>
>>17954778
>>>17953971 (OP)
Learn to read.
>>
>>17954772
I graduated just fine and now I'm a sous chef that holds down a fine job. I pay my dues but I Don't think that the way things are going is the only way or the is it the best way!
>>
>>17954786
Learn to post properly.
>>
>>17953971
How about you choose to act smart OP and spend all your time studying and workout out and earn an academic or sports scholarship to a respectable university, then major in CS and get a 6 figure job like I did
>>
File: Untitled.png (54KB, 3400x1913px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
54KB, 3400x1913px
>>17954798
You really are a dumb motherfucker huh?
>>
>>17954084
>Meanwhile the local engineering firm has fired 100s of employees over the past year and it's only gotten worse.

move
>>
I'm only 20 years old and I make more then $20 in an hour, I'm in zero debt and have done no college courses. I have tons of leisure time which I use to indulge myself in whatever way I like. Fuck, I love this generation.
>>
Career is a meme.

"lick ass and work your own off until you have enough money so you can play with your old ugly off-worked ass all day"

Just get a "shitty" job, in a storage or whatever with some chill colleagues and fuck around so you can pay your bills, play some sports in your spare time and go out during the weekends, get fucked up on whatever you can get your hands on, screw some pretty girls, hell why not some guys as well.

By the time the other kids finish their masters and are knee deep in debts you'll have life figured out and enough life experiance/cash to do whatever the fuck you want.

The world is a mess, falling apart more for every passing second, adapt and be a reflection of the world and you will thrive.

t. nihilist
>>
File: Sad days.jpg (405KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Sad days.jpg
405KB, 480x640px
>>17955972
>need money to move
>need a job to get money
>need to move to get a job
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.