[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life plan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1472379320670.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1472379320670.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
I'm currently in the National Guard and have the option to go active if all else falls through, but I need a degree to get as shot at most worthwhile police departments. So I'm thinking: Study English (my dream is to be an author) then publish and enlist in a PD, and if neither of those happen reclassify regular Army.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 4975-meme-8211-in-soviet-russia.jpg (50KB, 491x362px) Image search: [Google]
4975-meme-8211-in-soviet-russia.jpg
50KB, 491x362px
>>17952120
Good idea. As you know DESU Always have a plan b in case plan a doesnt work.
>>
File: 1482551982346.gif (2MB, 488x291px) Image search: [Google]
1482551982346.gif
2MB, 488x291px
>>17952138
My loved ones just aren't thrilled about the English degree. I've been told all my life how talented of a writer I was, probably because since elementary school I've made military/law enforcement my goal. I guess people always assumed I'd be a Criminal Justice or another comp sci lackey. I feel almost foolish for demanding more.
>>
>>17952120

definitely focus on getting & keeping a paying f/t job and do writing on the side

authors are like artists - about 10,000 of them for every 1 that makes $$
>>
You can look into technical writing
>>
>>17952120
im planning on doing a similar thing
>finish school (get a bachelors in communications, already have an associate in Criminal justice)
>join the military (maybe, im still not sure)
>try to join a police department, maybe even work my way to state/Federal level
>work in film making/production on the side
>either do both, with film making as a second job/hobby and police work as a career
>or if I get the chance work in film making full time
>maybe even go back to school for film making just to get connections,but ive been told its not necessary

I talked with a few people about it. Professors mainly, they said it wasnt too unrealistic of a goal and if anything more of a smart move to plan it out with a stable profession/military experience first rather then just wing it and try to make it as a director (or writer in your case).
So long as you have a stable job and plan, then youre at least being safe with following you ambition
>>
>>17952120
bump

>>17953358
i'll look into that
>>
>>17952120
its a pretty smart move to be honest, more thought out then just winging it and being a free lance writer or trying to find yourself or some bullshit. Ive seen lots of people that are actually talented go about it to nonchalantly and low and behold dont make it, then loose the dream. Just a few tips
>going from Nat guard to active, while not impossible and easier then going from active to guard, can still take time and might not happen. Be prepared for that and maybe look at part time jobs to do while in the guard
>police departments are fine too, but (though unlikley) you still might not get in right away, depending on the department. Military helps, so look at reserve deputy options
>if you do make it, you'll be overwhelmed while in the rookie phase, keep up with writing and making contacts for it but dont get discouraged if you put it down for a while
>>
>>17952120
Skip the English degree that's a fat waste of money and has very very little to do with being a successful author. If anything get a PR major so you can learn to sell your work
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.