[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth starting new things when you're an adult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

What's the point in pursuing a new skill, taking up a new sport, or whatever in your 20s and older?

It's been proven that if you actually want to be good at anything, (programming, sports, music), you absolutely must start when you're like 5.

The 20s are the prime of your life, physically. Nobody gives a fuck about a balding 30 something doing quite literally anything. It's not impressive when you're 35, 42, 55. It's impressive when you're 18. When you win at 28.

Am I wrong?
>>
While you're right that to be great at something you have to start it young, I feel like you're missing quite a big factor: enjoyment.

Sure, nobody gives a fuck if a 30 year old started a new sport, but if the 30 year old enjoys it very much, and gets something out of seeing improvement, then surely it is not a waste of time.

Much better than trying nothing new by the time you're 20, anyway...
>>
A lot of famous people only started the career they were known for later on in their lives. Van Gogh is a prime example of this. he only really started painting in earnest after he was 30.

I'm the child of my mother's second marriage, and my father's third marriage. Both of my parents are quite old. But both of them have completely turned around their lives or tried completely new things that they are now getting recognition for at over 50/60.

It's never too late. Only people who are younger than 30 think that life ends at 30.
>>
Technique isn't everything, you can still move people and make them feel something without being a virtuoso.

Maybe you won't impress people, but honestly who cares if you play the piano like Jordan Rudess ?

You can still convey meaning in what you do. One could argue that conveying meaning is a skill, but i wouldn't be so sure, we all have something touching to say that will resonate with somebody else.

Mediums are just that, a way to express yourself and to communicate with others. It's always worthwile.

Sorry, i don't know if what i said is very applicable to domains such as sport or programming, but that's my stance on arts in general.
>>
>>17947343
Lol. You're dead after 35. Looking back on your younger days is the universal sign of "I shouldn't be alive".

Modern technology was a mistake. People weren't meant to live past 45.
>>
>>17947335
Jon bones Jones started wrestling at 14, and became a national champ short after. Then an MMA world champ in his 20s
>inh4 hurr nigger genes I'm a loser I made this thread so anons could talk me out of living my life
>>
>>17947428
So cancerous teenagers weren't meant to live more than 16 years ? So stillborns weren't meant to live at all ?
>>
>>17947335

Generally doing anything just to impress people seems incredibly immature and shallow. Not doing something that could contribute to personal growth because it won't impress anyone is even more immature, even sort of sad. Gaining new skills and becoming good at something at later age is about impressing yourself and becoming something better than before. Personal achievements don't become somehow less significant just because a person is older. Besides, how boring would it be to remain exactly the same for the rest of your life after certain age x?
>>
>>17947448
Nope
>>
>>17947462
You do not live in a vacuum.
>>
>>17947467
ok ok
>>
>>17947446
>literally cherry picked a celebrity
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.