[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

texting ettiquette

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: asian_man_texting.jpg (27KB, 378x400px) Image search: [Google]
asian_man_texting.jpg
27KB, 378x400px
I don't understand Whatsapp, I'm new to this shit.
>Is it normal if I send a text to someone and they don't reply to acknowledge that they got it?
>Do I have to end conversations with "bye" or "talk to you later" or just stop texting?
>Is texting in any way an indicator of the other person's mood or is it just that everyone has slightly different texting habits?
>Are emojis only supposed to be used by girls?
>Is that only 1 text to reply to 1 text rule important? Should I keep my text as short as possible?
>>
I don't know how this subject is still in question. We had an entire instant messenger generation that doesn't tell anyone how to text properly.
>>
>>17940032
It's like it's something people are born knowing how to do. I feel like an outsider.
>>
>>17940039
No, it's not. The entire thing is a recent invention because people weren't able to send letters to eachother so quickly. At one point, you actually had to think and prepare everything you were going to say before you sent it to the person; now you're expected to treat the screen just as you would the person in real life, even though you can't hear the person laugh at your jokes or anything.

So, yes. One response for each message, don't stay on topic of anything for too long, don't type extremely long messages. People like having a conversation, not being talked at. There is a very large difference between talking with someone and talking at them.
>>
File: frodo.jpg (22KB, 395x300px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
22KB, 395x300px
>>17940025
>Whatsapp

Why not just use Snapchat
>>
>>17940025
I would offer advice but i do all the wrong things anyways. good luck anon
>>
>>17940200
It's too awkward and silly, I don't like taking photos or videos like that, it feels less like a real conversation than whatsapp to me.
This judging from the little I know about Snapchat because only one friend of mine uses it.
>>
>>17940200
Because Snapchat isn't meant to be used for IM'ing. It's just random, temporary pics with captions.

If you mean the chat function of it, that's even worse because it deletes what you said as soon as you close the app.
>>
I'll actually answer your shit OP
>Is it normal if I send a text to someone and they don't reply to acknowledge that they got it?
No one ever acknowledges getting a message unless they want to respond in 5 minutes or something and can't do it right now.
Not replying for some time happens often. Some people see that as the other person ignoring them but take my advice OP: Don't be a faggot and don't question if people don't replay at first. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
>Do I have to end conversations with "bye" or "talk to you later" or just stop texting?
You mostly barely ever "need" to. If you had a drawn out conversation with some purpose and possibly a conclusion and clear ending it probably makes sense but if you're just asking something quickly you don't need to say goodbye. For greetings it's enough to write Hey or Hi nearly all the time.
>Is texting in any way an indicator of the other person's mood or is it just that everyone has slightly different texting habits?
It obviously can be an indicator, in some way, but it can also be very deceiving, so I suggest again that you aren't a faggot and don't interpret too much into a text message. Just not spamming emojis doesn't mean someone is in a bad mood.
No but there are tendencies
>Is that only 1 text to reply to 1 text rule important? Should I keep my text as short as possible?
Never heard of it, it's BS
>>
>>17940563
Excellent, thanks!
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-09-23-21-57.png (292KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-09-23-21-57.png
292KB, 480x854px
Dont make such a big deal out of it, it's just texts. I use it to send random shit with my mates.
>>
who the fuck has room for all this bullshit

I don't even want facebook's messenger app on my phone, let alone some other bullshit I've never heard of.

wtf is snapchat and whatsapp?
>>
>>17940025
Yes. The two blue ticks indicate the person read it.
It's fine to just stop. It's kind of an endless conversation.
Mostly of habits and how they feel about you.
Formal conversartions will likely have an end. People you always talk to rarely care if you say goodbye or not because they know you'll be back soon.
Don't overthink. Do you like them? Use them. Don't like them, don't use them.
>>Is that only 1 text to reply to 1 text rule important? Should I keep my text as short as possible?
Why are you playing texting games with your friends? Have a genuine conversation with them.
>>
>>17940608
I didn't want to get whatsapp but my friends had a hard time contacting me to arrange meetings. Idk about snapchat but what's app is like an app to chat instantly with people on your phone, like old SMS but way more like a "real" conversation. It's like being in a constant neverending conversation with your friends that takes pauses. And I guess it works because with WI FI it's free.

If it were up to me I'd go back to the times when people only sent texts rarely and when it wasn't an important form of communication. Now everyone is staring at their phones and relying too much on it but at the same time pretending it's not a big deal.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-09-23-33-46.png (138KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-09-23-33-46.png
138KB, 480x854px
>>17940608
>only like 1/7 of worlds population has downloaded this applclication
"What's whatsapp?"
>>
>>17940613
>Why are you playing texting games with your friends? Have a genuine conversation with them.
Well some of my friends act really weird to me when I text them, like they are different people. I meant that one part mostly for texting someone I'm interested in dating though since I've seen threads here speaking about how sending more than one text as each reply seems way too desperate.
Thanks for the reply btw! I guess I'm being too autistic about texting although I still have trouble seeing it as a normal everyday thing like everyone else does cause I'm not used to it.
>>
>>17940624
you kinda have to get used to texting with every person. Especially when you don't know them really well. It changes though if you talk more. So it might feel weird at first
>>
>>17940624
>Well some of my friends act really weird to me when I text them, like they are different people.
I think this is a bit of a red flag in a friendship... you'll know when you text more people, some really do behave strangely, trying to play too cool or even treating wpp conversations as their facebook profiles. I personally prefer to avoid them since they're horrible to talk to in text anyway.
It's fine to be uncomfortable with a communication method you don't often use. But you'll get the hang of it, soon, I assure you.
>>
>>17940634
>>17940637
I see, alright, thanks!!
>>
>>17940624
Yes, stick to one text, one reply. If your friend doesn't reply to your text confront them about it, if they do it again cut them off or kick their ass.

Never let anyone treat you like shit.
>>
>>17940025
>everyone has slightly different texting habits?

yes
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.