[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I made the wrong choice for college. Im a second year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: ColumbiaNYUCoat.svg.png (162KB, 1163x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ColumbiaNYUCoat.svg.png
162KB, 1163x1024px
I think I made the wrong choice for college. Im a second year at Columbia and it really blows. I applied here early because of the increased chance of getting in as well as a substancial amount of pressure from my dad. I really wanted the chance to apply to Princeton (and was originally going to apply early there first) but I couldn't since I got into Columbia early. For better or worse I'm stuck here the remaining 2 and half years. My question is how can I better live with my decision?
>>
>>17938558

Too little information. What is your major and what are your goals?
>>
What's bad about Columbia?
Your degree doesn't matter after you get your first job with it. Why do you care what university you go to?
>>
>>17938558
I would kill to have gone to Columbia.

But why can't you apply to transfer?
>>
Its not so much the education as I think it is fine although too Grad focused. It is putting me on the path to a great career that typically requires an Ivy League degree and that I think I will enjoy. My problem is the social life of the school which in my opinion is quite bad. I also haven't found my people at this school and the overall feeling of the school does not really fit who I am as a person. I have plenty of friends but I just do not care for them that much, atleast not as much as those in high school. I'm also a big football fan and Columbia's team is absolutely awful. I know I should have researched some of that area more before I applied but I feel like I wasted my shot when I could have gone to other great schools that fit my personality and interests more (i.e. Stanford, Northwestern, Princeton).

As for transferring, I have a decent GPA but not a great one so I don't think I would be able to transfer to comparable schools.

I'm planning on taking advantage of NYC more this semester but I would like some more advice because this has been keeping me up at night for awhile now.
>>
>>17938664
Elaborate on the social situation if you can. What are you interested in and what about the social life at the school disdains you.
>>
>>17938664
You're in fucking NYC. Go find your people.
>>
The school revolves around a bar scene which gets really old really quick. The living spaces are tiny which doesn't leave a lot of room to party. The frats are really not impressive but that is to be expected in a city school. It is overall the people and the overall fit of the university. I'm not a social recluse or anything like that and have been actually pretty active but it just is not that fun. I recognize education definitely comes first but its starting to get hard to overlook the other facets. What I'm struggling with is getting over are the what ifs of going to a different school. Im almost certain I would be happier at the places I listed before although those opportunities are gone now. I just want to get over that and not be miserable where I am.
>>
>>17938681
I'm trying :(
>>
>>17938558

Maybe just realize that college is not really that important in the grand scheme of things and after your first job it's not really going to matter at all

You know, undergrad education is almost entirely the same anywhere you go, it's just teaching the basics of whatever field regardless of your pursuit. You should have gone to state school full ride and saved the money for grad school
>>
>>17938688
Transfers are a black mark on your record, even if you finish at the next school you bounce to. It hints at some type of instability in your personality. The point of college is to complete a degree at the school you started in four years, not have fun. Just suck it up and keep on chugging along.
>>
>>17939046
this is 100% bullshit, nobody cares if you have a transfer

honestly nobody even cares where you did your undergrad
>>
>>17938760
This isn't helpful at all, this is the opposite actually.
>>
>3.2GPA at University for History
>178 LSAT

Should I even bother with a top law school?
I don't even know what I could write in the personal story area of those applications despite taking some years off to work, 26 right now if it helps.

What kind of things do these places want to hear so I can get woo the applications process and not be dumped out to someone with a 4.3 and took eight classes a semester and fed the homeless and read to the blind three days out of the week?
>>
>>17939046
No one will even know if you transferred, enjoyment wise. And grad schools won't care. Don't make shit up.
>>
>>17939712
Isn't that 2 points away from perfect?
>>
>>17939722
Employment-wise
Fucking swype keyboard
>>
>>17939725
Yeah, but apparently that doesn't really mean much application wise. You still have to show the school why you'd be a good fit.
Came from math major but I left halfway through that to work and figured it would be harder to start in the middle of a math degree with a 2.7GPA and not fuck it up more than just go into a new degree and better my grades.
>>
File: IMG_7213.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7213.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey anon,

I go to Columbia University myself. If you're down, we can meet up sometime after break is over.
>>
B u m p
>>
>>17939315
How so?
>>
>>17939998
That is a generous offer but I'd rather not let people know I use 4chan. I do have some questions for you though. How has your Columbia experience been so far? I've found it pretty underwhelming and wish I stuck to my guns when deciding on applying to schools. NYC hasn't been all that since I'm from the tri-state area and was already aquainted with it before coming here.
>>
>>17938558
>substancial

We really gonna let this slide? Kid fucking blew it.
>>
>>17941418
Didn't do too hot in my writing course
>>
>>17941400
>>17941400
I applied ED without every visiting Columbia or really any other schools besides the local university. My mom heard about Columbia and she saw some smart people on TV and thought it was a good school to apply to lmao.

Social scene is meh, you really have to put yourself out there in my opinion. Parties are shit too and I don't really drink also. There's a lot of shit here, but that seems to be the case at most universities when I've visited and talked to friends at other Ivies, but I think there's some good stuff to be found. NYC has grown on me, but I never bought into the NYC meme really and never had that high expectations for it like lots of kids coming in who thought they'll be going to downtown all the time. I'm not from the Northeast, so it's been an eye-opener to get an idea how things work in probably the most important area of the country.

I hate most of the kids though, especially all the SJWs, but I've found some decent ones here. I wish sports were more popular honestly, kind of blows the lack of enthusiasm.

How are you planning to take more advantage of NYC?
>>
>falling for the college meme
>>
>>17942347
It gives pretty good job opportunities in the Consulting and Banking.
>>
>>17941855
I'm planning on volunteering more through manhattan and hoping to meet more people in NY. Also I really haven't taken advantage of all the things to do in NYC like museums, broadway, Central Park. I think I'm going to start running more in the park since I really miss nature while at school. I'm just mad at myself for picking a school that gave me the best chance at getting in rather than taking my chances at other schools that are better fits for me.
>>
>>17938688
Try joining some of the student clubs or attending some of their events, lots of them have small friend groups that do more interesting stuff aside from going to Mel's or whatever.

While I happened to find a group I clicked with, I also knew quite a few people who didn't. A lot of people at Columbia actually feel the way you do. Like >>17942474 said you have to put yourself out there.

I agree that the typical social experience and SJWs suck.
>>
>>17943647
I meant like >>17941855 said. Whoops.
>>
Is anyone else here /iveyleague/? I'm not but just curious
>>
should've went to yale faggot
>>
>>17944734
Are you saying that because the school shows Hebrew on the seal?
>>
>>17944668
There are these two other Columbia anons
>>17941855
>>17943647
>>
>>17944668
>/iveyleague/
can't even spell "ivey" right baka
>>
>>17944925
why are you guys on 4chan

i thought you were all suppose to be Chad Thundercocks
>>
>>17943647
What do Columbia students usually do for hanging out? Has to be cool to be a college student in NYC
>>
>>17942347
Bad news, anon. Felipe couldn't make it to work today because of the snow. Looks like you're going to be covering the fryer as well as washing dishes
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.