[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being Sued

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ca Maguire 944jpg.jpg (16KB, 512x342px) Image search: [Google]
ca Maguire 944jpg.jpg
16KB, 512x342px
So my old roommate is suing me for unpaid lease stuff.
He prefers to power-trip rather than accept my offer to pay him what I owe him minus the security deposit he's still in control of.

He has a solid case and I'm pretty sure he can get a favorable judgement, but I don't think he can actually get any money from me?
I have my computer, my car for work, a chair, and a mattress, plus $1,000 in savings.

If I just move my money into my dad's account I don't think there's really anything to take?

I live in Texas, and did some research, but thought I'd ask here in case some lawyer was passing through.
>>
>>17938275
OP again, also nobody has any idea where I live.

I use my Uncle's address for important mail, and my job is a mobile business that I basically work from home.

Don't they have to serve me to do anything?
>>
>>17938285
>Don't they have to serve me to do anything?
Not necessarily, if they can't serve you it's possible to get a default judgement entered against you
>>
>>17938285
If he takes you to small claims court, then yes they have to serve you. If they can't contact you though and he has a solid case like you said then there's a possibility they could just drop the unpaid lease on you. In which case a credit company will probably have taken over the payments at this point and they'll try and contact you. If they can't contact you then it will go on your credit and I don't think you want that.

Who do you owe money to? Him or a company? What documents are there are that bind you?
>>
>>17938294
That takes like a month of no-contact though, right?
I'm still trying to reason with the guy, and he says he hasn't submitted the paperwork yet.

>>17938300
It would be small claims I think?
The amount is $626 (or $426 minus the deposit).

I would owe money to him since the actual lease is a lump-sum type thing where everyone on it is considered a single entity.
He has a roommate agreement that I signed that says I would pay my amount.

For backstory, I moved out but payed a months rent to give him time to find another roommate, but he wasn't really looking so I told him I would pay him a month's once he had found someone.
Nothing in writing though, so I can't argue it.
>>
>>17938300
Oh and I'm not concerned about my credit.
I'm basically on the poverty line anyways, and I just got financing for a vehicle before all this happened.
>>
>>17938338

Lawyer here, argue he has a duty to take reasonable steps to mitigate his damages, and he didn't do so. Its worth a shot
>>
>>17938348
Someone else mentioned this to me.

Should I show up to the court date to do that?
Or should I wait until he tries to collect?
>>
One bump to see if anyone else has input.
>>
>>17938361
Court obviously, that's the whole point of court, a place where you can argue your case.
>>
>>17938275

he will have to sue you in small claims court, if you think you can win, then go & talk it out

if what you typed is accurate then who knows
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.