/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Therapy and Medication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1483057019182.jpg (223KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483057019182.jpg
223KB, 960x960px
In short, I want to look into the differences and pros and cons between cognitive behavioral therapy and medication as treatment options

I'm currently in therapy right now for anxiety and depression issues but I don't feel like I'm getting much out of it. I think I might also be some type of bipolar but my shrink wouldn't even consider it because, according to him, the only type of bipolar that matters is the manic psychotic type otherwise known as type 1.

I'm curious about other people's experiences in therapy and what it was like for them since I don't have anything else to compare to in terms of what good or bad therapy and therapists look like

I also want to know people's experiences with medication as a treatment option for mental illness. I was originally opposed to the thought but recently I wanted to look deeper into it since therapy isn't as effective for me as I hoped.

My main concern are the side effects and the trial and error nature of the process.

If anyone could share their experiences, I'd appreciate it greatly
>>
For starters, get a new therapist. If your current one is failing to recognise your issues, he's useless.
>>
>>17936681

even general practicioner doctors can & do prescribe zoloft & those kinds of pills

poke around here - nami.org
>>
Hi OP, I struggle with recurrent major depressive disorder, anxiety, suicidal ideation, and an eating disorder. I'm currently on meds and have gone through DBT therapy. You know you the best out of anyone. If your psych's answer is to say that tyoe 1 bipolar is more important than the other types out there, it's time to get a new psych if possible.
As for my experience with DBT therapy, I really appreciated it. Being able to interact with others like you and I in group therapy was the best thing for me.
When it comes to meds, I wasn't too keen on taking anything. I really hate I have to take meds but, after having done it for three weeks now, I feel clearer in my thinking.
>>
The medication is all a sham. They don't work and are dangerous. They sometimes cause permanent damage and don't give a shit about it. Any studies proving they "work" are specially designed studies to get the best possible result, it's all tampering and adjusting, you'd be surprised what you can do.
>>
Well the best way is obviously CBT assisted by medication.
I was lucky that the first meds I got worked without major side effects, but still meds without accompanying therapy to teach you how to improve long-term is pretty worthless imo.
Especially with anxiety, meds are often counterproductive since as soon as you quit them the symptoms resurface most of the time if you didn't solve the deeper issues causing them.
>>
>>17936721
Your opinion sounds like green jade to me. I know some people personally can't function without the meds to help the chemicals in their brains communicate more effectively with each other. You don't really know what you're talking about.
>>
File: winning.jpg (50KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
winning.jpg
50KB, 1024x575px
>>17936721
yeah and the chemicals in the water are TURNING THE FRIKKIN FROGS GAY amirite
>>
I had 3-5 sessions with two psychologists until I ended up with a psychiatrist. If it's a possibility formyou I can highly recommend finding one (a new one). These people are my studied and 4 out of 5 times they simply seem to be smarter and more open-minded because of it.

You also seem to be very well spoken, and I've noticed psychs can be very put off by that. They either seem to think you have your shit together and that your concerns about your well being are tainted by what you concluded yourself, or that you're a snob. Find one who's smart who can poke through this. I needed my psychiatrist to dismantle every well and defense I had put up since my childhood for months until she could really get started.

As for meds, I fell into a depression after these first two failed therapists. SSRI's (low dosage) helped me tackle that with little side effects. Getting off them was a real pain though, despite the good medical guidance I got. I'm not sure if I could have done it without them at the time, but I will prevent getting on them if needed in the future.

Also, will lurk
>>
>>17936698
>read website
>promoting meditation as a treatment

Yeah how about no.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.