[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I stop expressing my ideas to sound morally superior?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Marcus-Aurelius.jpg (234KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Marcus-Aurelius.jpg
234KB, 1600x1143px
How can I stop expressing my ideas to sound morally superior? I'm often around people who complain about aspects of their lives or imply that most of life is bound to be unsatisfying. I tend to respond by asking people to open themselves up to other perspectives through things such as books and finding interests to dedicate themselves to. However it never comes out well, as I just end up telling them that they're wrong and these philosophers they've never heard of from thousands of years ago know better than them.
>>
Word it better. Instead of saying "Do this", say "You might find this useful". It's all about how you come across, don't sound so condescending and you'll be fine
>>
Lol if you're right then don't stop. Otherwise how do you think thongs like degeneracy takes hold? People will hate you, but who cares?
>>
Well if an idea is morally superior to the idea i'm using my immediate reaction is to understand the greater worth of your idea over mine. And to feel grateful that you shared that with me and to respect you more for having moral values that exceed what i'm experiencing and living by in my life.

I don't really see how somebody could be given advice with great moral character in it and be upset about it.
>>
>>17935962
Things*

They should make a thong named degeneracy.
>>
Stop hanging out with stupid hoes.
>>
>>17935962
>>17935959

Not OP but I'm in a similar spot and I'm condescending as fuck. I used to be easy going and kindly suggest the right way/more efficient way of doing things. Friends never took it seriously, did it their own way, fucked up and once again would ask me to unfuck them. Now I just don't give a shit. Anon, my diet isn't working and I want to lose weight, what should I do? Well you're still fat and not seeing any progress because you never fucking do what I suggest, in fact, you're fatter because of it. You don't really want this enough. Anon, what new car should I get? With what money? Buy a used car and save that money for that house in your long term plans. Buys new car, has no money because of high interest payments.

I'm burning through friends but fuck it
>>
>>17935953
Are you worried about sounding morally superior or are you really worried about them not taking your advice? Or are you worried that because they don't accept your advice as valid that they don't respect you?
>>
>>17935953
>How can I stop expressing my ideas to sound morally superior?

Just stop. Not everything anyone says requires your judgment or advice, and not everyone who complains about life is asking for your judgment or advice.

Most of the time all you have to say is "Gee, that's tough."
>>
>>17935959
Thank you. This is simple but helpful!
>>17935965
I think it's to do with not being aware of other perspectives in life. The people I'm talking about who disagree are all retail workers and students with little free time. The only people I know who relate to the ideas I share are either artists or self employed. So I think it has to do with not dedicating time for one's own development
>>17935978
I can relate. What keeps my friends close is that I remind myself that we appreciate/love each other after a disagreement. I end up recreating
the good vibe we had going on beforehand. My friends actually end up getting emotional as a result and we end up talking about how much we appreciate each other
>>17935985
I would say I am worried about sounding morally superior. At the end of the day it's their decision to make. I would not normally bring up these topics or even advise them, but often I find that many conversations I have steer towards this. It might just be because these aren't the right people to give advice to.
Since I can't express myself properly in a matter that I care deeply about, it makes me question how much of my expression is actually genuine, and if the relationships I have are actually genuine.
>>
>>17936054
I understand. Maybe you should evaluate your beliefs and your values as well as the friendships you have. If they're not congruent, you'll be dissatisfied and upset. What do you think?
>>
>>17935953
>How can I stop expressing my ideas to sound morally superior?

stop spending so much time with dullards and find your peers so you can spout this nonsense to each other

or better find your superiors so they can tell you what an idjit you are
>>
>>17936034
This is true and what I will likely do. Thank you.
>>17936191
Yeah this sounds like what I should do. It's worth mentioning I will be going to college soon so this is a great time to really define who I am and what my direction in life will be. Thank you very much for your advice!
>>
>>17936281
Hey I'm glad I could offer up something valuable to you op. Best of luck to you on your endeavors :)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.