[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm addicting to gaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1483471257519.png (700KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1483471257519.png
700KB, 500x500px
To put it simply I have an addiction for gaming. I think I have potential to be a good person but it's all wasted on fucking League of Legends - and half the time I don't even enjoy the game. After coming home from lectures I would log in and just immediately enter matchmaking or take a 3 hour nap. I would describe myself as a NEET I guess but I definitely don't enjoy being one. I'm a first year at University of Toronto in life sciences, hoping to enter pharmacy, but I've also taken interest in programming (learnt python over the summer) and finance (just recently started reading about the stock market and investing). I just finished 1st semester of my 1st year with a fucking 2.8 GPA.

As soon as I feel like I'm doing something productive this gay fucking game lures me back in. As a result I feel like I'm/I've wasting/wasted my life and I think I have mild depression; though nothing serious since I'm pretty conscious of it and it's on and off. Any advice /adv/? Anything helps.
>>
Addictions exist for two reasons.
1. You are trying to fill a hole in yourself. You found something that numbs the pain of whatever you feel you lack so you of course lead to number two.
2. Habitually doing something until it's how you think and how you view yourself.

If you want to cure your addiction you need to both meditate on the fact that you will never be able to fill that hole and you WILL fill that hole with some other addiction. Perhaps it's one that more productive or that you can manage better. I find it helps that when you get a craving to just sit and try to be aware of all the ways your brain is trying to trick you to engage in a behavior that you are unhappy with.
The second thing you'll need to do is start building up a different habit. Which is easier said than done, I know. But the best way I've found is to find something new to obsess about and then GET INTO A COMMUNITY WHERE OTHER PEOPLE CAN RELATE TO THAT THING. I will tell you right now that you will NEVER break your addiction unless you involve yourself in a activity that has other people to support you.

But most of all you have to want it. You have to make a lifelong dedication to yourself. You're going
to have to change and there is no easy way to do that.
>>
>>17935116
Thanks anon, I almost cried like a little bitch. I'm going to start planning this as soon as I wake up tomorrow. Just a couple questions

Do you have any tips on how I can motivate my self? I know I sound a bit over-confident but I've already set a goal post-vg addiction but I lack any motivation AT ALL.
>>
>>17935172
Well I'll say this, motivation is a beggar. Discipline is what you seek. Motivation says "you FEEL like it, so do it", Discipline says "Do it, until you feel like it".

That said motivation is important in the early stages. I'd say get into a community or group asap (nothing will motivate you as much as a feeling of belonging" but for those times when that's not possible you can do self visualization meditation. Imagine where you could be imagine who you WILL be. if all else fails go outside for a walk. 10 minutes minimum. If it's too late at night or something then go the fuck to sleep! Never underestimate a good nights rest
>>
>>17935188
I fucking love you bro. I've tried to get back into meditation but I always felt like it never accomplished what I thought it would - relaxation and clear state of mind. That being said I still 100% believe in it. Any tips on how I can 'click' with it.

I attended a Taekwondo academy for 8 years (2nd dan black belt) until I left just before grade 12 and meditation was a requirement but I never felt like it actually relaxed me or altered my state of mind, I enjoyed sparring and practicing kicks nonetheless. Your reply kind of reminds me that the academy is the "community" that I've been in and left. The art also requires that all students abide by tenets for example the discipline you spoke of - courtesy, self-control, and indomitable spirit being the rest. Unfortunately, I think I - even the whole class - were too young, stupid or outright oblivious to these concepts albeit having to repeat them every class.
>>
>>17935248
I love you too man, you can make it if you really want to.

As far as "clicking" with meditation just start slow. 10 minutes a day is fine. Work up to an hour.

My big advice, don't make temporary changes to solve your problem. Change in a way that you are going to embody for the rest of your life.

It's like a diet, you can go on a crash diet, lose twenty pounds but because it's unsustainable it'll come right back. If you make reasonable changes you will see true long term results. Patience and diligence.

They made you repeat those concepts to beat them into your head so you remember when you're an adult. I'm glad it worked
>>
>>17935269
How about tips for getting out of bed? Recently I've been getting up as soon as my alarm rings but I usually stay in bed for another 20min or go back to sleep just to miss lecture and have to watch it online. As a kid I was the exact opposite. The only way I could explain it was that I was practically programmed (Never attributed it to anything since I never really thought about it) to wake up at 7:30 every morning; no alarm, no mother to wake me, and loaded with energy.
>>
>>17935289
Don't use your phone in bed. Put your alarm clock across the room. Give yourself a reason to get up. (Early classes, or early meet up groups perhaps). It's hardest to get up when you feel you don't have a reason to
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.