[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PhD or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: h4sXjA.jpg (16KB, 600x591px) Image search: [Google]
h4sXjA.jpg
16KB, 600x591px
Need career advice, as a 23 yo guy who has recently finished his Msc in environmental engineering.
I was offered a research position in a project for the next ~2 years, in order to start with the PhD or should I start job hunting and scratch the Phd? Any advice is welcome
>>
>>17933982
I work for a huge enviormental company, even though I'm biochemistry. Anyways people without their pHDs only make it into management where they make like 120k+ annually. But we have a lot of people who come to our company to do research and get their pHDs, they usually get inserted at a decent place in the company afterwards and have job security but get less than management.

My suggestion is scan big companies that are willing to pay for your pHD while you work for them and make sure you like the company and college. Not sure though.
>>
>>17934052
What this guy said. And if you can't find a job yet have a research gig lined up at the uni then take it for the time being (as long as you're getting a stipend and you're not paying out of pocket)
>>
>>17934052
>>17934067
I have been sending my CV here and there, but I can't find reasonable companies for my field, much less ones willing to pay for my PhD (I am from Portugal).
Like you suggested, I intend to take up the research position (includes stipend) during the next 2 years, but won't this make it harder to get a job after, if I decide to not pursue the Phd path?
>>
>>17934052
this to be honest
>>
>>17933982
Personal question: Did you enjoyed what you studied?
>>
>>17934106
You're 23, get your phd done and you'll be good to go. You don't have much going on for a purposeful job so take that spot. If something better comes up, then resign or take a break (whatever it's called there) from the program and take the job/position
>>
>>17934106
What about applying to a US state university? You'll get stipend as well and get to network if you want to work there too when you're finished
>>
>>17934142
Yes, I guess so.

>>17934153
Makes sense, anyways I forgot to mention that the research position is like a stepping stone (in my CV) in order to be able to apply for scholarship/stipend during the pHd, which would be a great financial help during those ~3 year.

>>17934161
Quite interesting, but not really fond of going to the States.
>>
>>17934161
>>17934161
This, guy from the enviornmental company here, a lot of our pHD students /workers are from foreign countries we are located in the U.S.
>>
>>17934200
From now until you start/finish the phd you'll be making connections (hopefully beneficial ones, at least you'll get some recommendations) that will help you later on
>>
OP here, thanks for helping me out, guys.
I have a new perspective on this matter now. Hopefully it goes well..
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.