[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing a shrink?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1483558746823.jpg (160KB, 800x615px) Image search: [Google]
1483558746823.jpg
160KB, 800x615px
23 y/o male here. Are psychiatrists worth a damn? Anybody been to one and feel like they've really helped them feel a little less shitty in their everyday lives?

Not looking for anti-depressants, just somebody to talk to about how much of a loser I am and I don't really have anybody in my life I can talk about my problems with. Just seems like it would be kind of nice to be able to air my grievances to somebody for once rather than just wallow like a miserable worm in my bed all day.

Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>17925884
I see one every week, it is helping me
>>
Would you spare some oats, brother?
>>
>>17925884
As an honest response, a psychiatrist will NOT help you like that. A psychiatrist is simply there to prescribe medicine and that's it. In my experience (United States), they get REALLY bitchy when you try to discuss your problems at all. They tell me they don't want to hear it. They just want to hear symptoms because they have maybe 10 minutes at most allotted to you

You would rather see a psychologist or counselor for what you're looking for. They tend to be cheaper, especially if you go for a Master Clinician, which is someone who only has their Master's degree. Depends on whether you use insurance benefits too, but usually the cheapest option.

I would seriously recommend you consider your position after a few sessions: if you're not making progress after about seven sessions, it's probably time to consult psychiatry.
>>
If you can find a good one, absolutely

I've had nothing but bad luck with therapists and so now I just self-medicate and wait for my loved ones to die so I can an hero without ruining their lives
>>
>>17925884

yes definitely helped me

3 kinds of them

1 therapists
2 psychologists
3 psychiatrists

1 cheapest 2 more $ 3 even more $

if you just want to whine & get some feedback pick a therapist - do internet search for your city - pick male female old young pretty hag whatever
>>
>>17925884
If you just want to talk, just hit up a bar at 2am and talk to the guy who most reminds you of yourself lel.
If you want a professional, like >>17926059 said, a therapist/counselor should be enough, and stay away from psychiatrists since they are pretty much only there to prescribe you meds. (which do help btw)
>>
>>17925884
Gib oats.
>>
Anons are right, psychiatrists are the wrong professionals for you because they're about meds. What you are looking for are psychologists.

I went to one for about an year and it helped me a lot. But you have to be aware that there are all sorts of professionals and methodologies out there, so if you don't think the first you see is working, don't stop there and give up treatment.

They usually work as an unbiased and bluntly honest person to talk to who will opinionate on what's troubling you, based on their professional knowledge. You have to first be open to be completly honest to them (might need a few sessions until you feel safe to do so), and second be open to critiscism.

I don't know the definition for "therapists", but before going to the shrink I tried a guy who wasn't one but offered a similar "service". Although he was good talk, his methods were kinda screwed up. Like let's say, talking about religion with a cientilogist. His beliefs had flimsy theorical bases. So I'd recommend jumping those and aiming straight for a psychologist with a degree who'll actually know his shit, instead or rolling the dice with therapists.
>>
>>17925884
you want a therapist, not a psychiatrist. If you wind up needing meds the therapist will get you in touch with a psychiatrist to assess you and prescribe them.
>>
>>17925884

mine did not help me. but mine seemed particularly shitty.

psychiatrists are like people and though there are treatment options for various disorders, each psychiatrist takes their own approach outside of the drugs.

all this being said, you really want a therapist, someone who is meant to help normal people, not diagnose a brain problem.
>>
>>17926032
This.

Theapists are great.
Psychiatrists are simply doctors who write prescriptions for mental health issues, they are NOT there to listen to you talk, just the therapist.

If your therapist DOES diagnose you with a mental health disorder then they'll recommend you to a psychiatrist that can write the scripts and narrow down the physical medication needed.

Plenty of people who aren't mentally ill benefit from therapy, too
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.