[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong to Gaslight my own girlfriend if it's for her sake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 303217.jpg (181KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
303217.jpg
181KB, 800x450px
Moral dilemma /adv/

My girlfriend has serious alcohol issues. As in, the kind where she tries to quit and gets withdrawal so bad I have to take her to the hospital.

I've tried to help her a few times, but recently I've started getting into a method that might be working but at the cost of making her lose her mind. I'm basically using various gaslight techniques to convince her that her memories and awareness of time/reality cannot be trusted, and that it's a direct result of too much drinking. For instance, I know her well enough to know what she may ask me to get next time I go to the store. Just this weekend, I got her items ahead of time and then when she got drunk and asked me if I could go to the store for her I asked her to hand me her credit card. I then walked out to where I was hiding her purchases, came back, and convinced her that I was gone for a full hour and her mind must have blanked out. She looked seriously distressed, holding her head saying "Oh god Oh god no I need to quit please No".

To make a long story short, I then repeated various other techniques to further convince her that she can no longer trust her own mind while drunk. She is checking into rehab now.

Am I doing the right thing here? She's finally getting outside help other than me, but at the same time she is seriously emotionally distressed and basically was crying all night long because she doesn't know what's real anymore. She even asked me if I was real, and was dead serious about it.

Should I admit to her that I've been fucking with her head whenever she gets drunk or is this really the only way?
>>
dude lol wat
>>
>>17924320
Don't admit it. She trusts you right now and all you're trying to do is get your relationship back to a sustainable state. That's not something you ever have to tell her except maybe when she swears off the drink for good. You're a good person, anon, even if your ways are a bit meticulous.
>>
>>17924326

Problem is I think I went too far. She doesn't trust herself to be alone anymore and even wants to ride with me while I am working ( Delivery driver ).
>>
You need to stop.

There are two reasons for this. One is that this is some seriously evil shit you're doing: your heart is in the right place, but this is Seriously Not Cool. Cut it the fuck out.

But from a standpoint of ruthless pragmatism, you're done anyway. She has checked into rehab. She has to see that the rehab is working, and your "incidents" have to stop in order for that to happen.
>>
>>17924320
Your ways are unorthodox, even painful, but she'll end up better in the end. Remember, all of the distress that you are producing in her mind will attach itself to the source of the problem: alcohol. This should create a strong negative association with it, and help her. It's a lot of pressure on her, however. Be there for her. Good luck, anon.
>>
The end does not justify the means.
>>
File: bullythechunni.jpg (216KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
bullythechunni.jpg
216KB, 600x840px
Why is Gaslighting considered universally evil?

Using it on a druggie seems like a good technique.
>>
>>17924420
Yeah, scratch that, I'm replying to my own post. Disregard everything I said. I just read up on it. Gaslighting is seriously damaging. She'll be ok, just stop now.
>>
>>17924442
In the case of someone with alcoholism or a drug habit?

They most certainly fucking do.

I wish someone had done this to me, when I was still having issues with alcohol.
>>
I too wish someone had done to me what you did. OP it sounds like you're saving her life. I don't know if she would have gone if you hadnt done this. And anyway her losing her menory was gonna happen whether you made her think so or if she kept drinking.
But maybe lessen the gaslighting now that she's in rehab and support her the best you can . Never tell her you did this or she might relapse.
>>
It's probably not so bad as long as the gaslighting only targets her in a drunken state, and not a normal state.

Can't trust own reality while drunk = scared shitless to drink.

Can't trust own realit period = serious emotional abuse.
>>
>>17924320
Sauce
>>
>>17924320

>Is it wrong to Gaslight my own girlfriend if it's for her sake?

For the first time in my years on /adv/ I'm going to say in all honesty that I don't know. I really don't know, man.

I want to say that helping her get better is super important but not betraying her trust is also super important.

I dunno dude. I can't really decide.
>>
>>17924320
as a woman who loves drinking I have to admit your technique is quite impressive. I don´t think you are doing anything wrong, at this point you just have to do thing like that.

I remember when I first got withdrawal symptoms, this is the most horrible thing that can happen to you body but after a while it´s gone. That first day without alcohol is the worst but it bets better with time. If she is so stupid that she can´t even get through that first day then she really is mentally a child and you should treat her as such.

The stuff you did to make her think she´s gone crazy sound really cool, to be honest if I was too retarded to quit drinking after the first withdrawal night I would love having a person like you.

She is harming herself with her behavior but also the others around her, so to save her and your relationship you need to save her firstly from herself. Don´t tell her anything if you want to help her better herself.
>>
>>17924485
true
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.