[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friends as an adult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: friends.jpg (93KB, 1160x500px) Image search: [Google]
friends.jpg
93KB, 1160x500px
I've been leaving friendships to die left and right.
I move every 2-3 years and plan on doing so for the next decade, but I only retain 1 or 2 actual friends from every place I've been.

I'm perfectly content now because I'm 21 and still studying, but will my life be an emotional wasteland when I eventually settle down somewhere?
Can you build significant/non-work friendships as a 30+?

Do you regret letting lukewarm friendships go or is it hypocrisy to sustain those unwillingly just so you don't die alone
>>
>Can you build significant/non-work friendships as a 30+?
Looking at my parents' friendships and friendships of people I know who are over 30, apart from your kids' friend's parents, most of your friends will be friends you made when you were younger.
>>
>>17923367
This frightens me so much. I'm 29 and the list of friends who I consider really good friends and keep in touch regularly has been shrinking exponentially since I finished college at 22.

It's hard to make new good friends when you're not "forced" into being social situations like seeing people in a classroom every day
>>
>>17923412
I'm not saying you can't make friends past 30, but it's definitely much harder to one you're out of school. Once you've had kids, I imagine it gets easier because, like I said, your kids' friends have parents.

I've also read most adults have only one or two close friends anyway
>>
>>17923431
that sounds pretty fucking sad

I have a friend whose parents are very outgoing and social, host parties, know a lot of people and go on trips with them, but they're rich anyway so that kind of shit happens

If that means hanging out with my highschool group friends with whom I don't have much in common anymore for the rest of my life, I think I'd rather be a loner
>>
>>17923361
OP I am 26 and in the Army. I move around a lot. I don't get out much at all any more. My colleagues annoy me and I spend every waking hour with them during the week so just want to get away from them at the weekends (we all live together, eat dinner together etc, every fucking day. The Army is like that)

The only people I see outside work are random girls from online dating (and this is a very rare occurrence).

Hold on to your friendships. Make the effort to maintain them. I am so...fucking...lonely...
>>
>>17923448
You don't have to force yourself to be friends with people. There's nothing stopping you from going out and doing things to make friends either.
>>
>>17923431
Yeah I know. Most my new friends are more like acquaintances that I met casually in work, but that's very rare.

When you're yonger you have much more opportunities to make new friends, because you have much more free time to keep in touch with them. As you get older, responsability starts catching up, and even if you have free time to hang up with friends, they might have different schedules that won't allow them.

Like you said, it's not impossible, but it's just so much harder that I think we're bound lose friends faster than we can make at that age. So the best option if you can is build a big buffer when you're young to burn through your life.
>>
>>17923474
>Like you said, it's not impossible, but it's just so much harder that I think we're bound lose friends faster than we can make at that age. So the best option if you can is build a big buffer when you're young to burn through your life.
The thing is, the older you get, the more you understand that people are busy and the less you need constant attention from your friends. If you've sustained a good friend base until about your mid 20s, unless you completely ignore them, you're likely to stay friends. Just hitting them up every few months can be enough in some cases, you don't need to be seeing every single one of your friends every week in order to maintain a friendship. Heck, sometimes years go by between when my dad sees some of his friends since they live in another country and they're still friends.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.