[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are STEM People Assholes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

Can someone tell me what the deal is with STEM majors?

Why do students in these fields, especially engineering kids, feel the burning desire to bully anybody who dares to pick a career path that isn't related to science, math or medicine? Yeah, we get that those fields have high-paying jobs, and you happen to work in a field based on a subject you enjoy. Good for you.

But unlike other people, they need to tell everyone and their monkey's uncle that their major and career is so much more superior to literally any other job. Does is occur to these people that not everybody enjoys math or science?
>>
>>17920100

because going to college in anything that isnt STEM related nowadays is a waste of time and money. Civil Engineering master race
>>
They need validation that what they're studying is worth it, even though they're going to be miserable and/or bored
>>
>>17920108
>even though they're going to be miserable and/or bored
I thought that all STEM kids picked those fields because they were all science and math nerds in high school. Why would they hate it?
>>
>>17920109
Many of them do it because STEM meme. They think they're going to have a greater chance at landing a good job after school and see it as a way to get rich quick. There's a reason some fields of STEM are becoming oversaturated
>>
>>17920100
they want things to be in absolutes
>>
Fuck, I started in stem for the money even though I hate math. Now I'm a business major but I really just want to be a psychologist. I'm only doing business because I'm sick of the stress my parents kept giving me about psychology's job prospects.
>>
>>17920109
I study EE and as far as i see it everyone sane admits he or she dislikes math.
You really need it in almost every subject.

As a student i found that anyone with a degree seems to build up a superior complex or atleast tries to seem above people who are not there yet, probably because you can never really tell if someone is actually a scientist or a student unless this person acts all high and mighty or can show off skills.

On the other hand the people who have been working in that field for a long time all seem pretty laid back and actually friendly especially if you go drink with them.
>>
Well they actually have to learn things and do hard work unlike a psychology or English or music major. The only non stem courses I took that weren't piss easy were for classics majors.
>>
>>17920100
What are you majoring in anon?
>>
>especially engineers

Yeah heres the thing OP. Engineering kids are always middle class white kids who have their tuition paid for them by mommy and daddy and just want a high paying job. They usually have no passion for it and like the other anon said they need validation.

If you take a look at compsci, physics, or mathematics majors you'll notice they are usually not dicks (if not a bit autisy). Most people in those fields do it because they have a passion for it, and don't care as much about money.

I'm a math major and I'm hoping to minor in philosophy. I do think getting a degree in humanities is a joke only if your reasoning is lame (like the communications because you just want a job and not have to try at all). If you do what you do because you love it, I'm never a dick about it.

Oh and if it makes you feel better engineering kids are usually considered the dumb kids in the STEM field so I shit on them all the time.
>>
>>17920100
Because you're stupid and leech off everything science has created and you're not trying to pay it back.
>>
>>17920135
I work full time as a security guard. It's low pay, but I like it for my current situation.
>>
>>17920136
>Engineering kids are always middle class white kids who have their tuition paid for them by mommy and daddy and just want a high paying job

Most of my engineering classes are full of Asian women.
>>
>>17920100
The stereotypes are usually
>douchebag engineer
>flamboyant humanities
>tfw no gf computer science
>tumblrina meme major
>fedora social science major
>the psychology major

Lol most stem grads are broke/unemployed. They just have a cooler sounding degree. Why the fuck are you so upset?
>>
File: 1357399959147.png (386KB, 782x504px) Image search: [Google]
1357399959147.png
386KB, 782x504px
Studying stem right now, not very good at it but I do my best, from all the people I've met, the really smart dudes(or ladies but those are far and few inbetween) are generally very down to earth, always willing to help out and very cool to talk to. Even lots of professors are like this here, they are million times smarter than any of us, yet they go out for beers with students and talk about random normal shit like the latest hockey match, cars etc. (of course sometimes we talk about math or other nerdy shit too but it's not like they obsess about proving their nerd cred)

The assholes who need to 'stroke their ego by flaunting their education and throwing buzzwords around and looking down on people aren't usually as smart as they say and I've seen quite a few of them fail school because of overconfidence.
>>
>>17920265
>from all the people I've met, the really smart dudes(or ladies but those are far and few inbetween) are generally very down to earth, always willing to help out and very cool to talk to. Even lots of professors are like this here, they are million times smarter than any of us, yet they go out for beers with students and talk about random normal shit like the latest hockey match, cars etc.
You have described people in every subject ever. I'm not sure why you're surprised that people act perfectly normally
>>
>>17920130
Because you were an undergraduate student. Any class you took was likely a joke.
>>
>>17920271
Well the general perception (a lot of it is thanks to shit like tbbt imho) is that most of the really smart physicists/mathematicians/engineers are autistic nerds.
>>
I'm a female stem graduate (nuclear scientist getting PhD in nuclear physics right now) and what I see are a lot of people that are bitter. We start college with this idea that we're going to make so much money and live this great life and then graduate and realize "holy shit this blows". I dont regret my major one bit and really love it but my classmates who did it for the prestige are really bitter.

But who knows, maybe that was just my universities dynamic.
>>
>>17920100
Are you talking about STEM majors before or after graduation? I'm in the after group and can confirm the jobs blow for chemists in America without nepotism. I'm heading out to teach English in Thailand in a few days. Wish me luck.
>>
File: 1477166029229.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477166029229.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>17920100

>Why are STEM People Assholes?

Because, for whatever reason, people who relate well to numbers and equations don't relate so well with people. Numbers make sense to them, people do not, therefore, more often than not, they just rub people the wrong way due to their inability to understand the nuances of human interaction.

It goes the opposite way as well. There are a lot of people out there who can't do simple math in their heads but can talk and charm their way through any social situation.

There are of course outliers and exceptions but history has shown that a combination of book smarts and social cunning is the rarest yet most successful traits a human can have. Unfortunately, most of us have to make do with one or the other.
>>
>>17920100
For one, only a noisy minority of them are like that, and the ones who are assholes are for the same reason most people are assholes, they try to raise their shitty self worth and validate their own choices by putting others down.

Also autism.

>>17920130
>hard work
>university
Everybody who doesn't have double digits IQ or some kind of mental deficiency slash shittier work ethic could get to bachelors without too much trouble at every fucking major.

>>17920144
Most advances in society go back to philosophy and would be impossible without it. Art is also a great contributor. Why the fuck do you think most renowned scientists had broad interests and weren't single-subject autists?
>>
>>17920136
>Engineering kids have no passion for it

I scored 96th percentile English but only 81st for math on my SAT and I chose to do Mech E because I'm passionate about it. I'd excel academically if I switched majors but I want to do what I love.
>>
>>17920100
A lot of people are assholes. It doesn't matter what field they're in. If you've had been around 4chan long enough, you should've noticed that everyone thinks their own field is the better, is "real work" and "redpilled". It's just a fucking coping mechanism for their insecurity.
>>
>>17920100
>>17920395

Here's the pretty simple real answer; being in STEM, especially engineering as an undergraduate, sucks. We see our friends in every other major having fun in college and it makes us bitter because our major is difficult as shit.

We talk up the positives to compensate for our shitty undergraduate lives. That is why engineers working in the real world don't do this; they're actually happy.

Non-stem people are often already self conscious about their shaky major which can sometimes make them take our circlejerking too seriously.

Its the perfect storm of multiple conditions.
>>
>>17920100
I agree. Can't stand my friend who is always gloating that she is a female in a STEM field.

I know she's doing it for feminist reasons, but if she was fighting for equality in the field, why would she make a big deal about it when no one is shaming her for being a female in a STEM field???
>>
>>17920395
Isn't that the truth? My best friend is a STEM major but she's also a major social retard. It's as if any conversational and general socializing skills she had have gone down the drain.
>>
>>17920136
As a computer science student, I agree. It's a shame I find them so intolerably spergy most of my friends do law, politics or history
>>
>>17920448
>Everybody who doesn't have double digits IQ or some kind of mental deficiency slash shittier work ethic could get to bachelors without too much trouble at every fucking major.

When I was in college I convinced my gf to take CS 1 and she bombed out of it. I would sit and tutor her for hours but she could barely wrap her mind around variables and boolean algebra, let alone functions or looping.

Maybe she had a double digit IQ, but I doubt it.
>>
>>17920100
Because it's not a big fucking deal to anyone in the real world.

Bragging that you're smart or academic is like bragging about a bronze medal. Everyone today wants to be attractive, at the top of the social hierarchy, and rich. Nobody gives a single fuck about my STEM degree or anything I've learned in the process. The only thing a STEM degree provides that people care about is a stable, linear path to making good money.

We brag about it because we know the work is inherently important, yet it's a obviously safe joke to make.
>>
>>17920777
Then either your teaching methods weren't the right ones for her (most likely and not really your fault, finding the method that works is the hardest part and her duty), her mind wasn't really with it/she lacked the passion for it or possible outside factors like stress. Well, or maybe the double digit IQ thing. What was she doing afterwards?
>>
>>17920778
>The only thing a STEM degree provides that people care about is a stable, linear path to making good money.
Not necessarily. Like any other degree, it's only as good as you make it.
>>
>>17920793
Honestly you're probably right. She was stressed with other courses and I may not be the best teacher. I'm not sure what you mean by afterwards, but she studied sociology.

I guess what I mean more to point out is that not everyone could do any major because, like you say, the topics just aren't interesting enough or the people don't have enough passion for it.
>>
>>17920818
>the topics just aren't interesting enough or the people don't have enough passion for it
Point being that stuff like that isn't due the topics being "too hard", if the person is stressed, doesn't know the optimal learning method for them and has no interest for the topic, even relatively easy majors will be a pain.
>>
Most people don't really give a shit. Or at least, they don't care until others force their shit onto us.

When I can't use the library because they're letting some anthropology students wail some Indian song, respect goes out the window. When gender studies try to dedicate resources to "women in stem" when they're not even 1 in 10 students, respect goes out the window. There's been lots of other nonsense to that efffect. I don't care what soft sciences do in their own corner, just stay in your own damn lane.
>>
Try studying a "fake" engineer degree, 4 years of Industrial Engineering, like 93 grade average in one of the best schools in my country and those fuckers will still look down on you, worst thing is, you end up believing that shit yourself, like how your degree isnt worth as much as theirs, gotta give it to them though, their classes are by far harder, I guess they just need to vent out from all the stress.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480606019694.jpg (18KB, 540x403px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480606019694.jpg
18KB, 540x403px
In the UK at least, stem and other degrees that end with actual well paying job prospects are the ones subsidising bs degrees that will never be able to pay back their loans and are the reason loans are inflated af.
>>
Think about it OP, STEM is the only field where you have to actually do work in university. not only that, but you have humanities majors and basket weaving masters claiming college is so hard despite never studying for more then 30 minutes a week.
>>
Did you ever consider that you are projecting, insecure, bitter, and coping?

But it was true at least for me, I had to focus so much on school that all social development ground to a halt so I was constantly pissed about never getting laid in college and it never improved.
>>
>>17920100
My dad told me that in the 1980s all high school kids and their parents were convinced that they had to be business majors to get a job, and by the 1990s America was knee-deep in unemployed business majors because there were so many of them.

The same thing is already beginning to happen with STEM majors, and so current STEM students, coming in near the end of the wave, are haunted by the fear that the window is closing. To avoid facing that fear they double their conviction that they're right and everyone else is wrong.
>>
>>17920100
it's so complicated to survive in today's society
>>
>>17920106
Ah! A fellow brother in arms! How is the concrete today?
>>
>>17920108
I'd rather be bored than suckle Uncle Sam's saggy, drooping tits.
>>
>>17920124
Psychology is the most over saturated fields with some of the highest unemployment numbers. Listen to your parents and stop being an idealist.
>>
File: 1472514395055.jpg (138KB, 300x433px) Image search: [Google]
1472514395055.jpg
138KB, 300x433px
>>17921913
>civil
>engineering
>>
>>17920106
>literally the easiest one
Fuck off, call me back when you go to chemistry or electrical.
>>
>be an artist
>you know, those guys that make the most important parts of the enjoyable aspects of your stupid fucking nerd lives.
>>
>>17920100

Computer engineering student here

A lot of STEM kids, especially undergrads, feel the need to brag about how good their degree is because they really, really don't want to be there. 90% of STEM undergrads are in it because they think it's a path to a steady job, not necessarily because they're good at the material. But the reality is they're going to be miserable in their jobs, too. If they don't get to lord their degree over anyone, they'll not have much

Graduate students tend to be better about this
>>
>>17920100
False sense of superiority over their majors. They think they're going to make it big in a massive company.

I actually attended an engineering magnet program in high school. There was a mix of well rounded, well-adjust social people and uh, the abrasive "nerd" types. Lots of them didn't end up going on to be engineers including myself, but others did and for the most part I'm happy for them. Out of all of them, I can think of maybe one or two who thought they were inherently better than everyone because of what they studied. Sometimes I run into them and they ask how I'm doing - i'm honest and say that I work a decent job while enjoying photography as a side-hobby and they are actually happy for me and even comment on the photos they've seen on social media because they think they're pretty good. Likewise, I'm happy for those of them that stuck to engineering and worked hard to earn a degree and a job.
>>
>>17920106
I was mechanical engineering in college.

Civil and Industrial was where all the kids who couldn't handle mechE, EE, chemE, you know, the fields that have real math, ran to when they couldn't hack it.

Fuck off.
>>
>>17922218
>my engineering degree is better than yours

You see that guys? Even within their disciplines the nerds have to get their dick off by acting superior to one another.
>>
File: IMG_2979.gif (2MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2979.gif
2MB, 290x260px
>>17920116
Best answer

People who blindy make fun of anything that isn't a STEM degree genuinely believe there are no career paths for other majors, so they have to double back on this belief by treating college in absolutes (If I get X degree, I get a job, if I do Y degree, I'll die homeless)

Then when their cognitive dissonance is triggered by seeing someone happy in another field, they have to defend their way of thinking by going autistic about STEM superiority.

>t. Econ and Finance honors major who shares honor core classes with STEM faggots
>>
>>17922218
You're going to have to explain to me why most of the subjects in my Industrial Engineering course are math-based. I can assure you, they constitute "real" math.
>>
>>17920116
This is true of all people. People who go to college look down on people who don't, and people who work hard jobs for a living look down on people who don't. In essence we're all the fucking same though.
>>
When you're doing something significant, these kinds of arguments are mentally draining.

I feel superior to other people who are lazier than I am, my roommate is taking a master's in gender studies and I'm a mechanical engineering undergraduate and I talk to her more than some people in my pure math classes.

The only resentment I really hold is against people who are doing degrees in english/history/psychology which are paid for by ther parents. I would rather outright lie to my parents and use that money to buy a car or go on holiday to extravagant places if I could, I am racking up huge amounts of debt and therefore getting a degee that is much less likely to reward me financially was never a good decision.
>>
>>17921782

The wise son of a wise father
>>
>>17922241
I've taken IE courses. The math is a joke. No offense, but you simply don't have to live and breath diff eq and mulitvariable calculus the way other fields do.
>>
>>17922502

>I have taken a course in this field thus I know the syllabus for all courses in all schools in the world about it
>>
>>17921782
The stem window won't close, stem allows you to create means of production whereas business degrees just let you manage means of production.
>>
>>17922581
Read. "Courses." Plural.

And you can stop trying with this "IE is hard too" bullshit. It's common knowledge to anyone in engineering that it's far and away the easiest discipline. Enjoy all those tough Six Sigma courses.
>>
>>17922581
ME, EE and ChemE are generally more math intensive, especially when it comes to differential equations. As an IE you obviously do have to be better at math than most of the population but it's still a hair easier math wise than those 3. Thats pretty generally accepted.
>>
>>17922684

It depends entirely on the school, the spread and quality of engineering degrees changes dramatically depending on what country or quality of school you are attendng.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.