[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to go from strangers to dating - Autism edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1806396.jpg (36KB, 638x425px) Image search: [Google]
1806396.jpg
36KB, 638x425px
So a little background information. I have a pretty mild case of Asperger's Syndrome/Autism Spectrum Disorder which, combined with Anxiety, means I lack some social skills.

The people I have told about my Asperger's have been surprised to hear it, because I don't really show any signs of being anything other than neurotypical. I can hold a conversation alright, and pick up on social cues fairly easily, but something that has always eluded me is romantic interactions. I've always struggled to understand how exactly I am expected to act to convey romantic interest.

Recently I've developed a crush on the cashier who works at my local EBGames. One of my proudest achievements recently is having been able to hold a conversation with her when I went last, so that gives a good indication of where my social skills/anxiety are at in this context.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is how I'm meant to act on a crush on someone I'm essentially a stranger to. Even if I was a friend of hers I would struggle to make any sort of 'move' so to speak.

Any sort of advice whatsoever is more than welcome, even if it's not specific to my situation.
>>
>*wave* her.. yeah hi
>hey listen, I thought you were very attractive, but I was reluctant to approach you
>I was wondering firstly, how old you are? (she tells you her age)
>oh, alright, that's a reasonable age.
>hmm, well, by any chance are you single? (she sais yes = awesome! well, would you like to talk sometime? because I'm definitely interested in getting to know you. -exchange numbers or contacts-) (she sais no = well hey, alright, no problem, have a good one, see ya.)
>>
>>17918282
I guess this is where I'm getting stuck. Is it really ok to just ask out a stranger like that? Does it have even a reasonable chance of working?
>>
>>17917965
i dont want to discourage your endeavor but i would be really careful about people who work at businesses that you frequent.

firstly because its hard to tell if they actually like you or are just being polite cause they are at their jobs.

secondly its just horribly awkward to get hit on at your job by customers and its probably happened to her before.

best advice is to try and talk about stuff you want to do in the future (check out a new movie or restaurant or similar) and see if she makes any remark about how she would like to do the same. i usually consider that an invitation to ask her out.
>>
>>17918486
That's how people ask for something as simple as a business card. Simply approaching, and after getting to know their availability, simply ask "would you like to exchange contacts? Just keep in mind, there is no guarantee she will be the right one for you, no matter how good she looks.
>>
>>17918282
don't do it like this

>>17917965
I don't know you, but if you're able to pick up on social clues and if people think you're well functioning socially, then you are. stop thinking about autism or anything. you are not autistic if you can pick up this kind of stuff. from what you posted, you are simply anxious of asking her out. many people have some form of social anxiety and it's not a mental disability or anything, it's just that: anxiety. you don't have a mental disability, you are anxious. so, don't be a loser, put yourself together and next time you're there, continue your conversation.
why do you like her? try to lead the conversation into a direction where the two of you might find something both of you enjoy. maybe a particular game or whatever. then propose that you could maybe hang out and play it together. something like that.

if you're not the type, and if you frequent this shop more often, like >>17918529 suggested - then don't try to act bold. and don't ever say "oh, alright, that's a reasonable age" lmao
>>
>>17918569
why are you laughing at that statement? it is a normal thing to say, as a response to the answer. Or simply saying "cool, cool..", but then he comes off as smooth and non spergy... which is unrealistic, though simple enough.

remember, he doesn't know her, he's just GETTING to know her.. so being agreeable is a good thing.
>>
>>17918282
And here we see in the wild as a wild autist appears to make its yearly mating call
>>
>>17918580
>>17918282
>asking a girl her age and if she has a boyfriend
unless you suspect she is under 18 or whatever is legal in your country that question is just spergy as fuck
>>
>>17918585
Not a sperg, just understand anxiety..
being agreeable helps people understand you are comfortable with them, and in so doing it becomes reassuring to YOU. Which in his case, is important.

>>17918589
No, it's simply two deal breaker questions that everyone should know.
>>
>>17918594
or you could just ask her out and not bother with those stupid ass questions since the boyfriend one is a dead giveaway
>>
>>17918600
they aren't stupid. and it shows a girl you're responsible, and not intrusive.

asking her out is probably what everyone else does when they approach her at the counter.
>>
>>17918607
>asking age and relationship status
>not intrusive

and thats pretty fucking awkward to boot.

>hey do you have BF?
>yes
>o-o-ok nvm
>>
>>17918630
intrusive in the sense that you don't wanna force yourself on her if she is taken.

you sound unsufferable.
>>
>>17918648
insufferable.
>>
>>17918648
>>I was wondering firstly, how old you are? (she tells you her age)
>>oh, alright, that's a reasonable age.
^and you call me insufferable?
>>
>>17918654
OP suffers from anxiety. That is the way to help him, to take it one step at a time.

take your trolling somewhere else.
>>
>>17918648
Yep, you definitely have autism alright.
>>
File: IMG_0881.jpg (28KB, 480x206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0881.jpg
28KB, 480x206px
>>17918669
>take your trolling somewhere else
Ironic, isn't it...
>>
>>17918669
How is a slew of awkward questions with obvious motives like that going to help?
>>
>>17918684
Just stop helping this dumb autist. If he's going to continue to act like a kid, just let him go. Let him ask these stupid questions so that he can get rejected immediately. This autist isn't worth out time.
>>
>>17918691
i dont think this autist is the OP but hes definitely
this guy: >>17918282
>>
File: IMG_2522.jpg (28KB, 214x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2522.jpg
28KB, 214x311px
>>17918704
Kek. You're probably right.
>hey, I thought you were pretty attractive
Holly fuck that shit alone has so much wrong with it kek
>>
>>17918282
Don't do this. It is honestly terrible.

First, as much as I appreciate people finding me attractive, when someone basically approaches you like that it feels like they have no interest in you as a person, but just want to fuck you. Unpleasant.
Second, the whole "How old are you? Oh that's reasonable. Do you have a boyfriend? Oh cool, date me" is a bit awkward. It sounds like your standard interaction, something you do to every girl you meet. Feels very impersonal.

>>17917965
Talk to her a few times. Try to understand what her interests are, see if you have something in common, and invite her to some event related to a common interest.
Don't hit on her while she's working, it's pretty annoying. Try to establish some level of personal connection before making a move.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.