[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a fine art degree useless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: paint brushes.png (429KB, 581x397px) Image search: [Google]
paint brushes.png
429KB, 581x397px
Is a fine art degree useless?
>>
>>17917176

more or less. the thing about most art fields is that they dont actually require a degree. an art degree can help you hone your craft if you're sloppy.

but its a lot like playing a lottery, but instead of a 2 dollar ticket you're paying a 120 thousand dollar ticket, and isntead of waiting a week, you cwait your entire lifetime.

my advice is if you're able to go to college get a real major, and just fill up your extra curriculars with all the art stuff you find particularly interesting.
>>
It's like every other degree. Usually you should go into it knowing quite a bit of your craft to get the most out of it. Otherwise you'll be lost. In a field like graphic design and the likes what matters is your portfolio and your marketing ability.
>>
>>17917189
>more or less. the thing about most art fields is that they dont actually require a degree. an art degree can help you hone your craft if you're sloppy.
This. If your art is going to sell, it's going to sell without that degree. You're better off building up a portfolio. In that sense, it's kind of like programming, really.
>>
A large number of degrees are useless. Most employers just want to see you have a degree and only in specialized fields will it matter what your degree is. Isn't likely you'll get a job doing art but you might. Use it as self development, first and foremost. If you wanna get good at art then go ahead and get good at art.
>>
>>17917176
>fine arts degree on it's own
pretty much. all the decent paying gigs that would benefit from a fine arts degree are filled, and when one opens up there are hundreds of applicants. freelancing as a session musician or painter isn't really viable for most either
>fine arts degree in combo with another degree
this is your best option. the most stable gig you can have with a fine arts degree is to have a teaching credential for K12 schooling or a PhD for uni. you can sometimes use a fine arts degree to go into law school or med school
>>
My father has an art degree. He designs products now.
>>
>>17917268

and thats great. but the degree itself is useless considering the number of people in his field without an art degree or any degree at all.
>>
it's like getting a degree in olympic swimming

if you have a gold medal, nobody cares if you have a degree
if you don't have a medal, your degree isn't worth anything

fine arts takes more than being serious about it, it takes talent
too many people who study art do it without the necessary commitment
and universities are too willing to take people who don't have the talent just for their revenue
>>
It is useless if you don't have talent drive and passion for it.
There are different doors open to you if you have a degree, that aren't open to someone who doesn't. I don't think anyone who works at studio ghibli doesn't have a degree in animation. How many people have worked with orchestras who didn't have years of music theory under their belt?
So fine arts really has to be something you're passionate about to go anywhere. all of my fine arts friends are supplementing their income with regular jobs and doing what they love on the side
>>
>>17917332
how do i get into this field without an arts degree?
>>
>>17917604
Draw a fuckload and shill your art.
>>
Probably better to minor in fine arts fo' sho. A degree by itself isn't worth dick for fine arts, but can be helpful on a resume and just for knowledge and learning. A business degree or whatever can be a big check box filled in the future.

Fine arts degrees are basically finishing school for rich girls whose parents make bad choices.
>>
>>17917736
but when will the drawing be enough?
>>
>>17917784
Never.
>>
>>17917784
you build a portfolio and do freelance work until you have enough decent artwork of your own that you can get a job doing graphic design or some shit

Why do you want to do this specifically? Because if you aren't constantly doing art in your freetime because you love it for its own sake then that is definitely not a good career path for you. Don't go into it because your dad did and has a good gig. Art schools are adult kindergarten
>>
>>17917176
>Is a fine art degree useless?
Not necessarily. But we cannot tell you what to do with it -that answer has to come from you and you alone- and if you do not already have an idea going in, you are going to have a lot of difficulty finding one later.
>>
It's only really good if you can get into a big name art school and go out of your way to make connections and build a portfolio while there. A lot of fine arts programs will give you opportunities to get involved with the local art scene, and a lot of chances to whore yourself out to people in the industry. You can definitely be a successful artist without ever taking a formal art class but it's a hell of a lot easier to get your foot in the door if you do.
>>
>>17917176
The degree itself is absolutely worthless, no meme. If you really love art, and you live in a country with no tuition fees then go for it.

If you live in a county with expensive education don't even think about it. You can learn everything you need to online these days, and not cripple yourself financially
>>
Yes pretty much

All you need to do to "succeed" as a modern artist is to either know a lot of Jews who will sell your garbage or have a big portfolio.
>>
>>17917176
No op but would a degree in cinematography also be useless?
>>
>>17918123
if you currently do not own a camera and are not shooting short films and editing them together every month then yeah

a lot of people go to school for something in the film business because they like watching movies. That's important but unless you already have the bug to actually produce them or approach it from an academic perspective it's a waste of time and money

I went to college with a ton of film majors and only one of them ever gets work doing it, and he primarily works on small projects still and he's 30, but he was definitely the most motivated of the bunch
>>
>>17918153
Thanks , that's interesting. I don't have a camera but I do edit for my buddies youtube channel and I edit together trailers for fun
>>
>>17918168
The thing is that you will learn a lot in film school but if you aren't aware of why you are learning the things you are learning about lenses, lighting, and camera movement it's not going to stick with you. If you actually get out there and shoot films (and it doesn't have to have a plot or speaking roles and certainly not on an expensive camera) you will become more aware of the problems with filmmaking so you will have "ah ha" moments while you actually go to school for it and joe professor is lecturing you about aperture and why a wide angle lens is better in certain situations

but if you like editing for fun you could consider that as an avenue to take instead of actually creating shots. Editors are in higher demand because the guy shooting a car commercial doesn't care about composition he just needs someone to slap it together for him so he can sell shit

and if you get editing down you can do things like shoot weddings on the weekends and get your beak wet with actually shooting

idk creative degrees really require a lot of motivation to be useful
>>
I just dropped out of college studying music
like 80% of the students in the music courses were not music majors, but just took it for a minor or electives.
>>
File: muslim.jpg (79KB, 680x960px) Image search: [Google]
muslim.jpg
79KB, 680x960px
No, it's fine, unless you plan on making a living by using it, which won' happen.

Lesbian Basket Weaving Collectives might exist, but they're not hiring.
>>
hint: if you even think to ask if a degree is useless it probably is
>>
>>17917210
>tfw cs major
>didn't have the opportunity beforehand to learn programming
>doing really well , learning rapidly, often one of the top kids in classes
>but

My degree is worth the same as a fine arts degree? Should I even be in college
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.