[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fake versus Real coins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1787 Brasher Half-Doubloon.jpg (1MB, 3448x1376px) Image search: [Google]
1787 Brasher Half-Doubloon.jpg
1MB, 3448x1376px
So, I inherited a jar of coins from my grandmother, who died ten years ago. The inheritance was a jar of old coins, with a list of prices for them when they were categorized a few years later by my dad. It had been missing/forgotten on a shelf until tonight, and when opened up the jar, pic related was what I found at the top in a little sandwich baggy.

First google results indicate SWEET BABY JESUS, I'M RICH!

First thoughts: "Find out if this is fake, right the fuck now."

So, how do I tell if a coin is fake or a re-print, and barring that, is this coin a fake and how can you tell?
>>
>>17916267
Go to a coin collector and pay the small amount to have them checked out. It's a worthy investment if they do give you money. Otherwise it's a sunk cost.

Remember to do an inventory of the coins before you go--just in case they try to jew you (which I doubt they will)
>>
>>17916367

either this or take digital photos closeups of all the coins and email the file somewhere

do internet search for - coin appraisals

this is the internet age, no need to drive all over town etc
>>
>>17916267
Brasher half doubloons are gold coins. For one, gold doesn't tarnish, whereas this looks like old brass; and two, you can clearly see that this coin is was plated, with a different metal showing in spots where it's been nicked and dinged.
>>
It's a poor replica m8, sorry
>>
that coin looks fake. its definitely not gold but dubloons are gold
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.