[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm starting my second quarter of uni tomorrow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Motivation.png (799KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Motivation.png
799KB, 2560x1440px
Hey guys, I'm starting my second quarter of uni tomorrow and I really want things to be different from the first.

I don't have any friends or people to do things with.

I just spent first quarter doing homework, reading, and playing PC games.

I have a girlfriend back home but I don't feel super emotionally attached to her.

I think I'm depressed and I'm going to be working on food/sleep/exercise/less drugs, but I really just want people to do things with so I can stop living in my sad little head.

Does anyone have any concrete advice?

Thank you guys.
>>
I'm in the same position as you, I'll be starting my second term of university soon.
I've pledged to basically shoe-horn myself into social circles (making me nervous just thinking about it).
Join some societies and start talking to people in your year/your course. Ask them if you can join when they're doing things. Ask them over to watch TV/movies if you want. Literally just be as desperate as possible and you'll soon be part of a friendship circle.

At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen.
>>
>>17916095
This is correct. The first few times will be awkward. Most take that as a sign that the people they're trying to hang out with don't like them. But people just have to get comfortable with each other's presence. Just be persistent.
>>
>>17916095
>>17916110

Can you give me some examples of situations I could put myself in that would make this a little easier?
>>
File: meatball.jpg (70KB, 780x748px) Image search: [Google]
meatball.jpg
70KB, 780x748px
Had a similar experience my freshman year of undergrad.

Look, being a university student is your job. You need to focus on your job. Being good at it will attract like-minded people. As you advance in your chosen field, provided it's not a sucking vacuum full of losers like chick lit, communications or such, you'll start to meet people with similar interests. This is where clubs related to your chosen study area are good.

Outside of that, I'll tell you what I did, once I was old enough to drink. I was never as social outside of my little network of college friends as I wanted. So I'd grab a book sometimes, something good to read, mind, not a fucking comic book (excuse me, graphic novel. My ass. It's a fucking coloring book), and take it to a bar. Afternoon drinking at a good bar, having a shot and a beer or two, you rarely get more than a few pages in before the bartender or a fellow patron come over, and boom, you meet people.
That's how I got into deer hunting and water gardening. People I met in bars in my early 20's. I read Hemingway's entire collection at bars. It seemed appropriate. Anyhow, my bar friends ended up being better friends than the dingleberries I met in college, and when I did bring them to bars, the fact that I knew a lot of people there got me laid more than my stunning lack of game at the time.

Worth a shot. Your life doesn't have to revolve around your school community, OP. They can enhance it, of course, though.
>>
>>17916121
Join some societies.
Does your university have a bar/social area? Hang out there.
Usually your course/uni will have a group which advertises events and things. Join the group and go to some events.
Do you live on campus? If so, friendly chats with the people in the staircase.
Does your university have food halls? Literally just walk up to and sit with a group of people who are in your year.
>>
>>17916144

So, I'm only 18 but do have a fake - I don't think it's a good idea to hang around bars, given that any relationships made would be based on a false premise that I'm 21+, although it is something I'd like to do later in my academic career.

You're right about school - it is a job, thank you for reminding me of this.

>>17916145

Fuck it really is this easy, isn't it. Guess I just need to go out and do it.
>>
>>17916144
>setting foot in a bar
No.
>>
Bumping for any more advice/ideas.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.