[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it normal to get so cynical as you age?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1258484305412.png (792KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1258484305412.png
792KB, 1366x768px
I've always been kind of idealistic. Someone who learns from their mistakes and tries to be a good person. I would listen to other people a lot, think of how they feel, and care about them. Not exactly a saint, of course, but a nice person in the end.

But now, I'm much more cynical. It feels like I've got too many problems myself and bothering with anything else is a waste of energy and time. All I want is to be left alone, and leave others alone.

The weirdest part's nothing big really happened in between. Although I've got some serious personal issues (which I won't talk about), the change was sudden and had no apparent reason. It's like I just got tired. And I'm in my early 20s, so it's not like I'm a "get of my damn lawn" old man who spends the day thinking about the old times... I guess.

My main concern is I don't want to be even more cynical. I already feel I'm too distant from my old friends right now, and deep down I still want to be a good person.

Is this normal, or at least common? Did this happen to anyone else?

This worries me a lot, so I'm open to any advice.

tl;dr: From chaotic good to chaotic neutral in adulthood - is it normal?
>>
>>17913082
I felt it creeping in around 21-22. 24 now, and doing my best to stay open.
It's hard, especially considering the degree and frequency people have fucked me over. But, I don't allow the bad to taint the good. I know that there are genuinely awesome people out there, and I don't want to let myself lose out on the potential of something great just because of my personal bullshit.

I still let my cynicism come out a bit in humor, but you know what? Even if the world is fucked, even if people are shit heads: I'm not going to let them break me. As far as I know, this is the only life that I've got, so I'm going to do my best to be happy and love my family and (few) friends that are in my life with all that I've got.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>17913082
yes

otherwise you are some pollyanna dweeb
>>
>>17913325
OP here. I see. That's a nice perspective. My main concern, though, isn't losing the love for living, but turning into a fucking selfish prick.
>>
>>17913082
>Is it normal to get so cynical as you age?

Yes. You have an optimistic and naive view of the world as a child because you don't have much "worldly" experience. As you grow older and get more experience, you'll discover how reality works.

I've the unfortunate experience of knowing a very bad friend, but that experience wasn't enough to make me hate everyone. I know there are good people out there and I've encountered them before, but that friend I had was one of them. He was a fucked-up person since the beginning. To date, I haven't encountered anyone with a more fucked-up personality that him.
>>
>>17913325
>>17914211
Does this apply to political views too? I used to be really progressive, but I'm getting more and more conservative in some ways.
>>
>>17914253
Yes, except that I was mostly apolitical when I was younger. When I got older and more experienced, I became increasingly conservative. Nothing's going to change it.
>>
>>17914308
>Nothing's going to change it.
What makes you think that?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.