[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stuck in the 2000s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 44.jpg (153KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
153KB, 500x500px
Everything, including but not limited to, clothing, music, movies, culture, lingo, and even food is controlled by my desire to hold onto a period in time I consider to be "cooler" both pragmatically and aesthetically. Problem is that I think I may have jaded myself out of ever enjoying anything new again. I've maybe seen 3 new movies that have come out withing the past four or five years, and of course I never give new music/artists the time of day, even if it's by an artist who's previous works I enjoy. When it comes to clothing I really like to scour eBay and look for skate/suburban punky styles that were popular back when frosted tips were in, mostly to emulate a look I enjoy and associate with the music I like. I also shun technology to a degree, I never cared to have automated home appliances or 10million phone applications, since I really don't need any of those things to do what I enjoy.

So my question is, is this healthy? Am I pigeon holding myself to a fault? The time this all started was back after I graduated highschool and this girl I was involved with dropped me because she "changed". I don't know if that has anything to do with it though. Pic semi-semi related
>>
>>17912921
>is this healthy?
No.

>Am I pigeon holding myself to a fault?
Yes.
>>
>>17912921

I'm 26. I straightened my hair the other day and posted a picture on snapchat that said "emo throwback <3" This 19 year old replies and said I look weird, but I still look hot. This 19 year old doesn't know what emo is. She doesn't know boys in girls jeans and tight hoodies was cool at one point.

Anyways, I feel the same as you. I still listen to mid-2000's FOB and P!ATD. Don't really like their new stuff. PIc related is a guy from the band Mystery Skulls. He has a modern look. This is what is cool now. He used to be in a band called The Secret Handshake in 2007. Back then he had swishy hair and stretched lobes. I miss that time. I don't like the hitler youth cut, but my own hair style is a variation of that.

But I feel like you're more intense with your obsession than I am. Like I'm completely contemporary. I think that is a result of realizing, even back on myspace, that trends change. For example Pete Wentz sings, "We're only good for the latest trends." You should try to be up to date with things.

This can come by creating your own style that references your old style. For example I moved from listening to emo to metalcore to pop punk. It is all in the same vein, the same people, the same style.

If you like +44, why not check out the new Blink 182 album?
>>
File: 0007443045_10.jpg (150KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
0007443045_10.jpg
150KB, 1200x801px
>>17912984

This is the pic I was trying to show.

But you have the problem that some of our parents have. They existed so much in their time that they're stuck in that time. I have an ex girlfriend who has three kids now. She buys her two daughters etnies for God's sake. I didn't even know they still made etnies.
>>
>>17912984
>mid-2000's FOB and P!ATD
Ah, back before Pete was making cameos in Cobra Starship and Tyga music videos and writing crunkcore songs for the Millionaires and Panic! still had the ! in their name and four members as opposed to The Brendan And His Blazers Show.

>trends change
No kidding. And I thought I made it clear that I have a strong distaste for most of modern culture.

>the new Blink 182 album
I've checked it out. My rule of thumb is if it doesn't stick in my head after one or two listens I give it up since I clearly won't be enjoying it. I'm not like the "hmmm, I'll have to listen to it a few more times to decide whether or not I like it" types. Besides pop punk is supposed to be hook-laced and catchy, not take itself seriously or try to "push the envelope". Also +44 wasn't the best image for this thread.
>>
>>17913010
>No kidding. And I thought I made it clear that I have a strong distaste for most of modern culture.

Oh, so you're a pretentious shit that thinks 10+ year old pop-punk is Vivaldi.

Grow up. The world changes. People change. Artists change. Limiting yourself to this tiny little pigeonhole just denies yourself personal growth.
>>
>>17913024
>Grow up
Just as I thought, no true pop punk listener would ever utter those words. You just want to make like you're one of those older types who's better days are behind him but in reality you love the current day and age.
>>
>>17913066
>no true pop punk fan
I'm cringing so hard right now.
>>
>>17913078
>cringing
Yep, there's the millenial buzzword.
>>
kys
>>
>>17913120
STOP TELLING ME TO KILL MYSELF YOU FUKKEN
>>
>>17913066
>>17913089
>stuck in the past
>blames everything on millennials
Why don't you just move into a nursing home already? The 2000's were shit. How can anyone look back at early internet, emo kids and the fucking Bush administration and feel nostalgic?

I know this board is for giving advice, but damn. Get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>17913126
No I mean the early 2000s. And the bush administration had a good effect on the whole suburban teenage rebel attitude, look what it did for bands like Sum 41 and Blink. As for the early internet yeah, god forbid we be without the latest viral challenge or tweets or fajitas and pizza.
>>
>>17913134
You know, I was going to retort, but either you're an elaborate troll or you're too far beyond saving. Good day.
>>
>>17913151
Saving? You act like i'm in danger or something. I just wanted to see if anyone feels the way I do or if there may be some negative repurcussions to the way I live later down the line. I'm not a mentally unstable basket case.
>>
>>17913162
>not a mentally unstable basket case

>unable to recognize the obvious harm of chosen lifestyle

>seeking confirmation from strangers

Yeah nah.
>>
>>17913173
Okay fine, I'll let you get back to whatever hip current stuff you do here.
>>
Well, I for one support you, OP. Can't think of anything else to say.. but yeah.
>>
>>17913260
I've actually had some time to reflect on this and come to realize that allowing myself to experience things with an open mind will give me opportunity to discover new things I like and make me a more well rounded person overall. Just assuming I won't like something because it's not circa my ideal time period is pretty unfair.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.