[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1477821214260.png (62KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1477821214260.png
62KB, 645x773px
>be me
>learning to drive
>instructor says i'm doing alright
>i feel like i'm not since i constantly make stupid mistakes or forget to do something important
>tell how i feel to instructor
>"you'll get better, don't worry"
>had about 6 lessons so far
>dad wants me to show him what i learned
>tell him i'm not very good yet
>"let's go anyway, i'll help you"
>do stupid mistakes like i do with instructor
>dad screams at me for it
>get nervous, do even more stupid shit
>finally we go home
>basically, says i can't drive for shit
>he says i should drive way better than this
>pic related me but not fat

I felt like I wasn't learning anything and now after driving with dad I'm too afraid to drive at all. I feel like I'm going to keep making those mistakes and I don't know who should I trust my instructor or my dad. What should I do guys? Do you have any advice for me?
>>
>>17911795
dont worry man unless you are actually a race car driver everyone is a bad driver, after 1 year of driving alone you pretty much do everything they tell you not to do.
>>
>>17911795
also never let your parents teach you especially your dad.
>>
>>17911795
Go back to the instructor. You want professionalism, not your father's crazyness.

And trust the instructor. He has seen real disaster cases who should not be allowed on the road, so if he says you're doing OK for a nervous beginner, believe him.
>>
>>17911838
yeah pops was total turdball trying to teach me

at least he bought a go kart when i was a kid so i already knew how to drive, just a bigger & more dangerous version
>>
>>17911872
If you knew how to drive your dad wouldn't have yelled at you

But jokes aside, a lot of driving is just about muscle memory, what mistakes do you do anyway?
>>
>>17911878
He's not OP, I am.
I mess up on really simple shit like turns because I get too overwhelmed with how much stuff you have to do at once. Stupid shit like how much do I press brakes, changing to a required gear, looking to my left, right, etc.
I don't think I'll pass my driving exam because I can't stay calm and remember to do everything right.
>>
Driving takes time. Your dad is just an ass who doesn't remember what it was like driving for the first time. Keep doing lessons and try doing something that calms your nerves, like chewing gum.
>>
>>17911882
All the stuff you mentioned is, like I said, about muscle memory. I'd be more worried if you didn't know how to read the road
>>
>>17911886
What do you mean about reading the road?
>>
It's all just confidence anon.

You don't sound like an idiot, you just need muscle memory and confidence, so start small, just take a ride around the block till you feel fine doing that, then just keep going farther each day/session. If you're driving stick just practice shifting in a big parking lot. The secret with stick is to figure out how much gas you need to give the car when starting out in first without stalling,( you can definitely over rev if you are afraid of stalling) and really lock that amount of pressure in your head, and then slowly release the clutch. Practice over and over in a big parking lot or backstreet.

Ignore your dad, he's being an ass. You'll find that drivers on the road do all kinds of ridiculous shit and you need to develop a resistance to feeling like you're under scrutiny (ie people tailgating you, doing aggressive shit to you because you're doing the speed limit). I think theres a line in fight club that says something along the lines of "it takes more balls to do the speed limit than speed"
>>
>>17911890
Well I'm not native speaker so I don't know the right terms, but I mean understanding traffic signs, etc. and driving correctly on crossroads, stuff like that
>>
>>17911899
Thanks man, I'll use your advice.
>>17911902
I'm not a native speaker either, so I think I'm the one who doesn't know the correct terms.
I think I'm good at reading the road.
>>
>>17911795
Are you asian OP?
>>
Your dad was incredibly counterproductive by yelling at you. Unless you were doing something exceedingly dangerous, yelling while in a car is hugely problematic. it's distracting and dangerous to yell at the driver and make them freak out.

OP, don't drive with him if you can. Just drive with your instructor. You can do it, you just need practice and to be able to practice in a calm, controlled environment.

When driving alone, practice on a couple things at a time. Stick to parking lots and small, unpopulated roads. For example, start with turn signals and stop signs. Once you're comfortable with those, move up to a busier road with traffic lights. Once you're fine there, so onto a large road and practice yielding. Once that's all well and good, try the highway.

I would also like to comment on an earlier anon's post, it is safer to blend with the speed of traffic while driving. When you drive slower than everybody else, people get impatient. This causes more people to change lanes and drive erratically, which is more dangerous for everyone. If you're not comfortable going quite as fast, stay in the side, slow lane. But do try to match the speed of the surrounding vehicles. Particularly those in front and behind you.
>>
>>17911795
sounds like dad has low self-esteem. Why make a new driver feel like shit for sucking?

And most people suck at driving. Look at how many accidents there are. don't worry if u suck at it, youre probably better at other shit. 't's not that hard and you can at least get competent at it
>>
>>17911795
Your driving will never satisfy your father. That is not because of you or flaws in your character. This is a fundamental aspect of all father-children relationships. If you are male, it is intolerable for your father that you cannot meet his expectation. If you are female its OK cos you can just marry a man who can drive.

Dads need to back the fuck off when the kids are learning to drive
>>
>>17911795
your dad is a cunt, you'll be fine. There's mexicans that drive WAY worse. Plus I drive, and I'm and autistic faggot.
>>
Your dad should be more patient with you. It takes a lot of time behind the wheel to get the experience it takes to be confident and a good driver. There really is go getting around that fact.
>>
>>17911795
Don't listen to your dad. Dad's who drive have a thing where they thing their way of driving is superior so they scream. I passed my exam three years ago. Then I'd drive with my dad in car for three months and it became so unpleasant I haven't touched the wheel since.

Explain to him that you want the driving to remain between you and your instructor. He'll obviously get mad, hurt pride and all, but you risk hating driving forever.

When it comes to reading the road it helped me greatly to think a bit more on theory behind all signs and situations. Each sign was put in a given place for a reason. It may not sound clear but think more about what city planners wanted to achieve here. Once I thought a bit about it I started seeing that in many cases the signs I saw were the only /optimal configuration that could grant safety and mobility. Maybe it'll help you too.

When it comes to the car, as anons said, muscle memory. Soon you won't think "now I need to turn this handle", you'll just turn the indicator on when turning. Same goes for clutch. Gear shifting can result in a fuckup if you start doing it without thinking too soon, but don't worry. You'll get a hang of everything soon. Good luck anon!
>>
i hate driving dude and i dont think im good at it at all. I get scared driving around the city and especially shit like 6 lane highways
>>
>>17911795
dude everyone on the road is a fucking moron. dont be too hard on your self. just drive slow and ur good bro.
>>
Good, you should stay away from the road OP. Hopefully your dad scared you off cause we don't want more terrible drivers, and there's already too many.
>>
>>17911795
Your dad's a scumbag. Fuck him. #antinatalism
>>
>>17911795
I used to take Hapkido. My instructor was a 65 year old 10th degree black belt who used to beat the ever loving shit out of me. It took me about 8 months to master the basics. Some guys there did it in 3 weeks, okay. But I kept going and improving slowly. He used to tell me about when he was in korea and how shitty he was when he started too. But he said the only thing that mattered was he was the guy who kept doing it and kept trying to improve. Most people suck at the beginning. You have to get the practice to be good at something. Don't expect to be great at something when you start, but if you're not getting better each time you should practice. Even if that's sitting in a chair and running through a scenario in your mind.
>>
The only thing worse than an asshole driver is an unconfident driver to be honest
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.