[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failed Class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 876543456789.jpg (353KB, 2048x1447px) Image search: [Google]
876543456789.jpg
353KB, 2048x1447px
I failed my first year of calculus at college. I understand it rather well and did good on the final exam, but my lazy habits throughout the semester ruined me. Would it be better for me to just fuck off and take other courses or just jump straight into calculus again next semester so I can eventually move up?
>>
>I was too lazy to do the busy work in my first year of college
You're not ready for college.

I was in your position. Each year I kept saying "ok, this time I'm going to take it seriously," and each year I slacked too much and got fucked over by attendance and homework policies.

I'm going to assume you're in college right now because it's "what you're supposed to do" and not because you have a specific goal in mind. Take a year off, look at what work is available around you, figure out what you'd actually be ok doing 8 hours a day for the rest of your life, and THEN go back to college with a goal to work towards in mind.
>>
>>17900583
(not op)
yup, i did just that
im 30, i have zero social life and i'm barely getting by working at a restaurant for a living. all the while trying to figure out what the hell i wanna do with my life.
>>
retake it right away op, idk how can you fail first year calc, i literally studied 2 days before the exam without attending any classes and got like 80.
get used to studying from week one though, otherwise those bad habits will follow you during the whole run and the "study before exams" will get harder with each year cause some courses build up on previous ones and you need to know the material fairly well

>>17900622
i dropped out during my last year of college cause i refused to take a break or rethink what realistically i can handle with. been depressed since then and did basically nothing except working part time to pay the rent.
29 now, starting to get out of depression finally and do something with my life, it's so sad to face reality. idk if i can lift myself up, kinda lost faith in what i'm able to do because of past experiences
>>
>>17900583
OP here, thank you. This is what I want to do. This whole semester I threw myself in and I learned that I was not ready. However I feel I might be comfortable taking calculus again given I finished strong, I should be able to perform well in the class while it's fresh in my head.

If you can give me your second opinion on JUST taking calculus (taking only two days of my week) and just working and finding some stability until next year, I'd be grateful.
>>
>>17900683
Must be a different grading system, I guess it might be worth it to mention that I'm just in community college. I studied last minute and did really well on the final but I was still a few points shy of passing because past tests and homework held me back.
>>
>I understood it rather well

So why did you not pass everything? If you want to start to prove you better be more honest about your capabilities.
>>
>>17900698
>homework counts in final grade
sucks man :/
anyways, i'd retake it as soon as possible, it will be easier to pick up when you still have stuff you remember
>>
>>17900711
That understanding came after multiple test grades where I didn't know what I was doing cause I hardly showed up.
>>
>>17900691
If you can afford to take the class, you're sure the credit will apply, and you know you can be motivated enough to actually go to every class no matter how well you already know the material and do every scrap of homework, then I don't see a reason not to take just the one course while you figure out what you'd actually be ok doing.

Just don't be indolent just because you don't have school obligations. You need to really examine what you like or can stand enough to make an everyday annoyance because that's what work is.

-What are your hobbies
-What are your skills and talents
-What actions or activities are you very experienced at performing
-What actions or activities are difficult to deal with or be motivated to do and should be avoided as much as reasonably possible
>>
>>17900751
In terms of work, I've got a pretty comfy gig for a college student that makes decent money. Not something I'll dread showing up to. Hobbies and skills and any other character building kind of thing is what I'd like to build up while I'm not stressing myself out like last semester. Thank you for the input.
>>
It took me 3 tries to pass Calculus and poor study habits almost made it 4. You know why you failed so get it together and pass it next time. This is costing you money.
>>
>>17900551

>its another 'im smart just lazy' episode

spoiler alert: the protag realizes hes actually dumb and just convinced himself hes smart to feel better.
>>
>>17900731
>I didn't know what I was doing cause I hardly showed up
I've been there
Best thing to do would be to immediately take it over.
Just know that you WILL fail if you continue to not show up. If college isn't for you, then you'll know pretty soon because they will kick you out.
>>
>>17900691
>>17900583
Have you taken out any loans though? Because if you did, they will try to collect after 6 months being out of college not including summer break.
>>
>>17900551
Everyone is different so it's kind of hard to give you a good answer without inserting my experience and what worked for me.
I had a shitty semester in college once too. I didn't fail any classes, but I did some painfully bad that I was borderline academic probation.
It's all about being honest with yourself. I transferred and took on too many credits and spent too much time worrying about things other than my demanding classes.
I really try not to make the same mistakes twice, so I learned and took classes I knew I'd do well in and took on the amount of credits I knew I could easily handle. If you know your limitations and you're ready to address it appropriately, then you'll make the right decision to retake the class either the upcoming or future semester.
People fail classes, it happens. Just make sure you learn and make up for it.
>>
>>17900551
i failed physics for the second time this semester cause i waited to long to retake it after the first time i failed and forgot everything i sort of knew.

also i was a lazy fuck that thought i could get by after the prof said he would drop the first exam grade if you did better on the final which i banked everything on and ended up doing bad on that too

such a waste of money cause I'm a lazy piece of shit

don't be like me op

retake that class asap
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.