[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interested in getting a welding certificate in Seattle, so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_26106-1482827412210776434286.jpg (357KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26106-1482827412210776434286.jpg
357KB, 1280x854px
Interested in getting a welding certificate in Seattle, so I can make better money than serving ramen while I study to become a vet.

Where should I go to school?
Are there welding jobs in Seattle?
Is this a good idea?
>>
>>17900515
>Where should I go to school? Are there welding jobs in Seattle?
These aren't /adv/ questions, these are Google questions. Good luck though
>>
>>17900520
I have been googling it, but I would like someone with a little more know how to help.
>>
There are welding jobs everywhere. A lot of my fellow welders travel around the world doing work. One friend just got a full time gig in Japan. he's a huge weeb, so good for him.

Go for TIG welding. It is more precise than MIG or Stick welding, but the pay is better and it's much more rewarding. It's also fun when you get good at it. It's so satisfying to do a perfect bead that looks aesthetically pleasing.

When I was looking for schools I checked out Lincoln, one of the huge trade schools. The TIG welding program was 100+ students per class, so very little hands on instruction, 20,000$ tuition, and 900 hours of class time.

I can't believe I almost went for it.

I kept looking and found a local community college offered a TIG welding program. Basic course 3 months, advanced course 3 months. Two nights a week, 6-9 PM. Tuition? 3,000$. Same certificate that I would have gotten at Lincoln. Sept-Feb 2 nights a week..

There was only 12 kids in my class, so whenever I needed help the instructor would have me join him at his table and guide me through the process. I'm so fucking glad I didn't go to Lincoln.

There are trade job agencies that exist who can literally get you a job in seconds. Immediately after I got my certificate, I went to an agency called Randstad. Not recommended, but I needed a job right away. Luckily they hooked me up with a good job. 40 hours a week. I went in to the agency with my resume, filled out some paper work, took a piss test (I used synthetic urine because I enjoy weed), and they said "okay you start here on Monday. Bring steel toe boots."

I was amazed how simple it was. Now I have great pay, 401k, vacation time, paid holidays, all the perks. Great medical and dental.

I sometimes have to do MIG welding, which isn't that bad. The fumes are annoying, but we have good ventilation. You get burned once in a while but it builds character, and you won't get burned nearly as often if you wear gear.
>>
>>17900552
Thank you so much for your help anon.
Ive always read about people recommending welding on here, and I've been interested for a long time.

Do you think it would be possible to get a job in welding and also go to school?
As cool as welding is I don't think I want to do it 5ever.
Again thank you for your help.
>>
>>17900569

I wouldn't recommend getting into welding if you don't want it to be your career. It requires ambition and dedication to become a decent TIG welder. It's extremely precise, requires lots of muscle memory.

What do you want to go to school for? College is a meme. Get a welding job, make money, have easy days at work, and pursue your passion with your spare time.
>>
>>17900593
I've heard this too
I don't really get the whole go for your passion while you work if you are too busy with a career.

I want to try to become a vet I think, but overall I just want to go to school and better myself, but make real money and have a career if things don't pan out/work on my passion
>>
>>17900634

>too busy with a career

Bro I work five days a week. mon-fri 7-330 PM. I have a five minute commute.

My job takes zero effort. I repair welds that our robot welder does using TIG. I sit on my ass and look up shit on my phone most of the day. While I'm at work I'm still working on my passion, which is music. I'm thinking of ideas for songs to make when I get home, researching, reading about artists, looking up new music. My job is so easy and it's pretty fun, plus I love my co-workers.

The "follow your dream and you'll never work a day in your life" is a dangerous fucking idea. So many artists didn't take that route. I would say the majority of successful artists took the safe route of getting a steady job that didn't crush their souls and focused on their passion in the mean time.

I get out at 330 PM every weekday. That's basically my whole day to myself. I got to bed around 11-midnight. Also with all my welding money, I bought a 2x12 tube amp, tons of pedals, a nice Fender, and I'm saving up for a house and a new car right now.

"follow your dream" doesn't mean "Don't do something for money unless it's your passion." A lot of my favorite musicians were construction workers even while they had their band forming. Once it took off they obviously quit construction, but their jobs and income allowed their dreams to become reality. Depending on your art for your income can also tarnish your work through desperation.

MC Ride of Death Grips was a fucking pizza boy when Death Grips recorded their first album. He wanted to be a painter. Not until a few months ago did he start selling his paintings. It's almost like he had to use one of his passions to fuel his true passion. Deliver pizzas in order to make music in order to sell his paintings.

I don't know, man. Life is weird. I never imagined I'd be a TIG welder, but my life is going really well right now.
>>
>>17900662
Life is weird.
Where do you live anon? How much do you make?
>>
>>17900699

I live in Connecticut.

My first TIG welding job started at 15$ an hour. Next job 27 an hour.

Hopefully be making six figures within a decade or so. The head welder at the shop I work at has over 1.5 million in his 401k, and has a nice fucking house and is constantly buying gadgets and going on vacations.

The money is definitely there. It seems slow at first, but once you get 1-2 years of experience on your resume you can apply and easily acquire a much higher paying position.

Now that TIG welding has become second nature, my job basically boils down to pushing a foot pedal, moving my hand a few inches, poking a metal rod into hot metal puddle, brush clean, repeat. What's crazy is I never thought I could do TIG welding because I used to have a problem with shaky hands. It turns out I was slightly anemic and not breathing in enough oxygen. An iron supplement and deep breathing practice fixed that right up.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.