[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1454556164637.jpg (55KB, 502x550px) Image search: [Google]
1454556164637.jpg
55KB, 502x550px
Help me pick between one of these two jobs. I'm a mid-level professional, meaning 5-6 years of experience in my industry. I'm coming from a Fortune 500 company.

Job 1:
>Smaller, less name-brand company
>Still works with larger, notable brands
>Pays slightly more than the other company
>Title the same as I currently have
>Lets me work from home or wherever I'd like, so more flexible and likely less stressful
>Only offers one week of PTO, and two "floating holidays" (whatever that means), but may move to unlimited PTO

Job 2:
>Huge, immediately recognizable brand name, biggest competitor to my current gig
>Step up in job title
>Pays slightly less than other company
>Would have to work in an office, not the best environment (shared open room workspace for all employees), pressure will be on to constantly perform
>Offers an "unlimited bank of PTO," which is subject to supervisor and department approval

Flexibility is a big deal to me, which draws me to the first job, and more pay plus the ability to sit at home and watch ESPN while I work is nice. But I feel like they're trying to sell me too hard to get there, and that someone inevitably is going to look down at my resume and question why I made a lateral move to a smaller company.

Job 2 might be just as stressful and painful as the job I'm leaving, but strokes my ego more, and will probably be more eye catching on a resume years down the road. But taking a pay cut is frustrating, being stuck in a rigid office sounds annoying, and I could quickly find myself "not approved" for holidays and other trips I'd like to take. But it would make my parents happy, and the first one would make them mad, if that counts for anything.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17898211
>that someone inevitably is going to look down at my resume and question why I made a lateral move to a smaller company.
You answered it yourself. Flexibility sounds like a pretty good fucking reason.

Also the reason why I'd go for Job 1, bigger pay is only a bonus. (Although there is obviously the risk of you slacking off when working at home) Sure 2 might be better for the long run and your ego (and your parents ego) but it's hardly worth the stress, worse environment and risk of HR buttfucking your trips. Would your parents really be that mad over a job that pays better and gives you more freedoms?
>>
>>17898227

Sadly, yeah, my mom is an absolute nutjob about how I look to her family and the rest of the world. I have a fair amount of my own drive, and I care too, but she's the kind of person who would threaten something like divorcing my dad because she didn't "like" my choice.

She just doesn't want me to leave my current company, but it's a shitshow, and I must go.
>>
>>17898256
>she's the kind of person who would threaten something like divorcing my dad because she didn't "like" my choice
The better pay definitely should go for her psychologist, unless she was making a 8/10 joke. Why is your dad even still with a person like that?

Either way, you probably realize that it's your life and other opinions shouldn't matter too much, specially if the opinions come from such irrational people. It's not like your quitting your job to become a cult leader of a new religion or some shit.
>>
>>17898273

Yeah, it's just tough when the reality of the situation is that she's divorced my dad once before, she's stolen my car (that I paid for), she's just really vindictive if things aren't going her way.
>>
>>17898276
>she's stolen my car
Quite the weird action for someone who cares about how her son is viewed by others. Though given the divorce thing I guess this makes some sense from her POV.

If he chooses to remarry her, he's part of the problem though. I'd try to minimize contact to someone like her. Appeasing someone like that is just a lose-lose.
>>
>>17898211
>t someone inevitably is going to look down at my resume and question why I made a lateral move to a smaller company.

yep

you're too young to pull this kind of move

do that when you're older & have a missed a few promotions

slack off now & you're toast
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.