[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

Finished Bachelor in Engineering in May 2015, couldn't find a job, because I have no co-op experience, or overall an underachiever. It'll be 2 years from when I obtained my degree in a few months, and I am getting stressed out more and more on what I will do with my life. All I have been doing during this time is Part-time, and nothing else. Someone please give me some insight on what choices I have at this point.
>>
>>17896379
Couldn't? Or cant? The way you word it it sounds like you stopped applying.

Start applying again silly.
>>
>>17896379
I couldn't find anything in my area and slowly learned it's like the fourth worst city in the us for college grads.

So, instead of busting my ass off trying to get a shitty minimum wage job I'm busting my ass off back in school (community college) learning programming because the job opportunities for that are everywhere.

Not ideal but then again neither was coming of age during the economic crisis.
>>
>>17896379
My buddy is a chemical engineering graduate and reports the same thing.
>>
>>17896634

So try and find something that's out of your area.
>>
>>17896666
Quads speak truth.

My only problem is I need a car to get a job and need a job to get a car.

I'm in Cali so shit ain't exactly close.
>>
>>17896634
Well you gotta look everywhere for the first job. Then when you have a few years under your belt you can find something closer to where you want to live.
>>
>>17896634
Where are you?
>>
>>17897316
Socal. Not near LA, or Irvine or any other city with good employment, but I still have that California cost of living.

Kill me.
>>
>>17897595
Sounds like you fucked up. If where you live was so important to you, why didn't you scop out the job market four years ago? You would have found that there's nothing out there for engineers and went into programming in the first place. Retrain yourself or move.
>>
Military Sealift Command. They need engineers.

MSC is the government agency that carries cargo for the US military. It's not a military job. You'd have to go in as entry level, unless your degree is in marine engineering, but I don't know anyone who makes less than 100k in their first year.
I've got an MS and publications in a STEM field. I went in as an Ordinary Seaman, strictly entry level. I'm captain of an oil tanker now. It's a good gig. I make more money than a anyone I graduated with as an undergrad except for my buddy who became a plastic surgeon.
>>
>>17897610
Well this wasn't my first choice. It's just where my parents live and I took their advice because hey why would my parents lie?

I'm in the process of retraining myself but it's easy to lose hope when you're 22 and live with your parents.
>>
>>17897926
Just move for the job.
>>
>>17898638
I have bad 0 luck looking outside of my county. Believe me if it were that easy I would have done this long ago.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.