/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PRO GAMER ALERT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (709KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
709KB, 2048x1365px
I'm 20 years old and I work at papa johns

I'm diamond 1 in League of Legends and I'm gonna try to go pro for 1 year, if it doesn't work I'll do something else. Im 95% sure I'll make it

TRY TO CONVINCE ME WHY I SHOULDNT DO THIS, YOU CANT

Maybe relevant: I played cod competitively for a minor team a few years ago
>>
>>17893637

>be 20 years old
>be 95% sure I'll make it
>95% of 20 year olds end up being wrong
>>
why don't you try college?
>>
>>17893637
that games a joke, thinks its hard to be any good at that basic no skill pos game. just dont do it you will be 100% wasting ur time even if you make it.
>>
>>17893667
Tried it for 2 years, not for me

Rather live off min wage

>>17893645
I'm willing to bet a year on 5% if the prize is everything I've ever wanted

I just thought about it and I don't see how my dream is any different from people trying to be an actor or musician so I'm just gonna go for it, thanks for the encouragement
>>
Most pro gamers make about normal salary ~60k.
You will probably ruin the thing you love.
Pretty high stress.

But ye, if you're really good, like to compete, aren't effected by stress, then go for it.
Looks and charisma are a plus if you also want to stream or make it in the esport business side.
>>
>>17893710

i never said you SHOULDNT bet the year, nor that its any different from actor or musician. im in los angele strying to make it as a writer.

im just saying that a 20 year old has literally no idea how to tell if he has what it takes to make it with something like this.

go ahead and do it if you want, if ur already settled for low paying jobs the rest of your life, enjoy.
>>
>>17893637
Because it's unlikely you'll be successful and when you have to explain what you did, you'll have to tell your grand kids that you failed trying to win cash playing with children's toys in your twenties until you finally went back to your burger job.
>>
>>17893792
>implying op is ever gonna have kids
>lol
>>
>>17893637
What are you going to do with your life after the game fades away from popularity?
>>
>>17893637
>TRY TO CONVINCE ME WHY I SHOULDNT DO THIS, YOU CANT
You absolutley should try to do this, if for no other reason than to make sure that when you're laid on your death bed at 80 years old you're not thinking "if only I'd...".

>I played cod competitively for a minor team a few years ago
You're probably more aware of the pitfalls than most then. I played CSGO professionally for two years, and although I made a fair bit of money over that period, but if you add up the time it takes - 100 hours a week practicing, traveling all over the country for tournaments, that kind of stuff - I didn't make much more than I would have spending the same amount of time working in a supermarket at minimum wage.
>>
>>17893803
He'll just have to move onto a different game or most likely realize he fucked himself by not learning a useful skill that could earn him money long term, but most likely attempt the former and really just fuck his life up.

I can't believe people still play CS competitively though. I remember playing in a couple tournaments almost 15 years ago in CAL.
>>
File: IMG_5540.gif (2MB, 460x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5540.gif
2MB, 460x313px
>>17893637
>want to go pro league
>diamond 1
>not challenger or master
>don't know anyone in the competitive scene
>>
>>17893637
Since you are just trolling because you are not asking for advice, go for it. Tell us were you will hang out as a homeless so we can go laugh at you when it doesn't pan out and you become homeless
>>
>>17894639
Pretty much this
Being diamond means literally nothing. Sure you're "good" at the game, but you really don't have much raw talent for it or you'd already be master/challenger.

Why would a team take some random shit from the thousands of diamond players and train him to a competitive level over the people with talent or who have already put in the work?

Basically I'm saying you're left with two options. Either put in the work to get yourself to a competitive level (you work at papa johns, you certainly have time), or become less of a nobody.
>>
Well i dont know a lot about LoL but i played CS:GO for 3 years and in ny opinion it was a waste of time.
>>
>>17893637
Even if you become a pro at LoL, the players are not well treated. You can get fined by not using a specific op hero or being "toxic"
>>
>>17895216
There isn't a players union?
>>
The plan when I do make it

Stream (IM VERY ENTERTAINING TO TEENAGERS) -> Use money and popularity to sell shit (I WANT TO BE AN ENTREPRENEUR) -> make connections with higher ups to secure a position at a video gaming related company

Sounds good right

and only 1 year who the fuck cares I'm not "acquiring" skills for 1 year
>>
File: 1347445323479.png (33KB, 504x432px) Image search: [Google]
1347445323479.png
33KB, 504x432px
>>17895409
Streaming is over saturated and lets face it if you are posting on 4chan you are likely not entertaining in the slightest. Good luck getting big on twitch that shits nigh impossible these days. Why would a games company ever employ somebody with no art, programming or social skills?
>>
>>17893637
Why can't you do both? I think its smarter to do still have your job and do that as a side gig and see how far you can go
>>
>>17893792
>Videogames
>Childrens toy

Is this the 90's? You do know its a huge entertainment industry, right? Are you middle aged?
>>
>>17893637
If you're Diamond 1 in LoL you need to know people to get anywhere, and even then you should be advanced past D1.
>>
>>17893637
>TRY TO CONVINCE ME WHY I SHOULDNT DO THIS

it's your life but be aware of the issues

1. spending another year of your life on essentially a crap shoot which may or may not pay off

2. risking your hand & wrist health by pounding a keyboard practicing what 70-80 hrs/week ? are you willing to wear wrist braces the rest of your life ? not being to grab a steering wheel ? pickup your pants ? yes this crap happens when you fuckup your hands

3. if you win #1 slot then what ? can you get a job with that ? next year some other geek will win and nobody will remember or care who you are

4, can you get a job even if you place in top 10 ? maybe some game companies want you for promotion but you need real people skills and some smarts for this work, much different skill set than winning at games

5. maybe some company wants you for designing games but again this is a much different skill set than winning

competitive video gaming is a growth industry sometimes offering reasonable $$

but like car racing, there are literally zillions of peeps at the bottom and it is a huge pyramid to get to the top

sadly most of those dweebs are captive & driven by their own demons, ie. that's all they think about & do

if that's your life go for it

but try to think ahead

wtf are you going to be doing when you're 30 ? who will pay the bills ?

yada yada yada
>>
>>17895808
I'm still going to be working

>>17895946
>1.
This is true but I wanna risk it

>2.
They have exercises to prevent this and I'm only going to be playing for a couple years

>3.&4

I do have people skills and investment skills. My plan is seen in this post
>>17895409

>5.
I don't plan on designing but most of the smarter pros have found a way to transition to a full time job beyond gaming
>>
>>17893637
if youre going to go for it, now is the time. you are still young, if you fail there is plenty of time to figure something else out.
>>
OP, I'm in same boat as you but a little bit older.

I've played in small tournaments for various games, and even played in a few leagues for Counter-Strike.

But, since those days I've been working full time, and haven't had the time to dedicate to being a highly skilled gamer.

I'm currently waiting for my job to fire me so that I can get unemployment, and during that time, I plan to pursue my pro gaming career.
>>
You're young enough that you can do a complete 180 with your life abd goals if it doesn't work out and you'll be fine. If it's your dream, go for it, just be realistic and self aware about it.

On a side note, I've got a good friend who went for his dream and is now a professional twitch streamer making good money. He found his niche and was able to milk it, and also got a bit lucky.
>>
Just FYI you guys are delusional children. I've watched friends try to go this route and fail. And keep in mind you're pretty much not fit to do any esports past the age of 28/29. Your reflexes deteriorate, whether you want to accept that or not. If you want to get into esports and actually make money you need to get into it in your late teens/early 20s.
>>
>>17896297
So he tries and fails. What's so bad about that? He's 20, I'm pretty sure he can survive it.

I understand being risk-adverse, but in this situation, going after his dream seems fine. He just has to be aware of the very real chance of failure and have a plan in case money gets tight.
>>
> tfw former Fighting Game "Pro"

Though obviously the money and career chances that are or were involved with that are not compareable with MOBAs.

But I guess I can at least give you some input on things.

First of all don't lose your mind if you are offered sponsorship or a place on a team. You always want to think about an offer for at least some days and ideally have somebody that you can consult who will help you figure out if its a bad deal or not. Do not sign contracts lasting over one year.

Furthermore if you want to do gaming your job then you need to view it as a job. You will need strict training schedules - not just "train for 9-5" but instead plan out what you will be working on when. It gives your day structure and improves your performance while training.

Also work on your online presence from day one. Your twitter might only have a dozen of follower for the first few weeks, but having some kind of presence online will make you a lot more attractive for any sponsors.

also keep asking away
>>
Go for it OP.

It's great to have a passion, just make sure you have a backup plan if it goes sour.
>>
>>17895810
its still a childrens toy, or manchildren in this case.

i havent met a single person that has a regular job that cares about videgoames besides having a console to fuck around sometimes
>>
>>17896714
You should get out more.

I and many of my friends are gamers and we all have good jobs and families.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.