[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aut/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 157.jpg (44KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
44KB, 680x583px
Am I autistic or does it just seem that way from how I act?
>>
>>17893486

you aren't autistic. have you ever met actual autists? ive met many. i volunteered with special needs children and teenagers, and as an adult ive worked with / educated a few autistic adults. one my ex's was even legitimately autistic. even high funcitoning autists are not capable of stringing alon the sentence and thought process you typed in your OP.

not becuase they're too dumb, but becuase its too social, its too aware. no autist woudl be able to realize they are autistic.

the whole 'IM AN AUTIST' 4chan meme is just that, a meme. its something people have begun to try and convince themselves so they can lose responsibility for thier actions. its like tumblr with their 'thyroids'.

people just want an excuse so when things dont go well they can say 'NOT MY FAULT I HAZ DISABILITY :D'

trust me. go to an autistic meetup and you'll realize just how socially aware you are.

autists literally cannot read yuor fancial expressions and it kills them.

i was talking to an autistic man at the bar last night and despite me being extremely friendly, they literally cannot tell. he sat there the hwole night staring intently at my face trying to find something he could understand. he kept asking, unsurei f i was being friendly or bored or annoyed. he sat there the whole night just trying to understand, just wanting to 'know' what a normal average expression meant.
>>
>>17893525
Are you dyslexic mate?
>>
>>17893532

no, i just have an old keyboard, and i type at over 100 words per minute, so certain buttons don't register as fast as others, and i tend not to bother using spell check on a Micronesian boy pussy trading pictograph forum
>>
>>17893525
No I have never met an autist. i am 28 years old. the concept of self awareness is a relatively new one for me. I don't think it is a good thing but desu it would actually explain a few things about my life. Like I try really hard but it takes a lot of effort for me to read non verbal cues and even eye contact. I have heard about these things that is why I make an effort. I have always had social problems etc and like always wonder wtf is wrong with me and can never figure it out but is this something else?
>>
>>17893565

we dont know you, but its almost definitely just you not being a strong socializer. the way you talk about it simply isn't simplistic enough to be autistic. and based on you over analyzing this situation, thats what i imagine you do.

an autist simply can['t read the facial expressions.

you read them and then interpret them dramatically.
>shes smiling, but its not a real smile, she is laughing at me, and secretly hates me

type of logic.
>>
>>17893525
liek from what i have seen i meet most of the diagnostic criteria. I have taken the online tests and always score borderline range, half on each side just about. Also I think my answers may be swayed by like how I want myself to be or how I think I should be... I may not have an accurate assessment of myself. And I think that if my assessment is inaccurate, it is probably would make my answers LESS autistic if anything because I do not want anything to be wrong with me and I see the value of social interaction and like to be around other people and want friends
>>
>>17893586

>i do not want anything to be wrong with me

you say that, but so does everyone in your position. you DO want something wrong with you, because it excuses it. you already see your problems as a permanent fixturei n your life, not just some stuff that happened before. ergo, being autistic would mean its not your fault, that you're special and people are just wrong for not understanding that.

you're nto autistic mate. you would not be able to self diagnose such a thing. hell, you wouldn't have been able to make it to adulthood without being diagnosed.
>>
>>17893584
ya i hope so. I guess it does not really matter either way what type of label a psychologist would put on me anyways. I know a number of areas I am weak in and would like to improve, and whatever type of diagnosis i might have might be useful in informing my decisions on what I do to improve myself. I do have confidence that I can improve a number of these issues so honestly I think a diagnosis would probably only discourage me. I have gone through this thought process a number of times and talked myself out of it. I just wonder, if I would be put into that group, would that help me in deciding mental health treatment options and strategies for myself? so I am tempted to want to know "for sure"...
>>
>>17893596
excuse me I did mean asperger's as well
>>
>>17893609

being autistic would mean /not/ being able to improve. its not a stunt in growth, a slow down, or a delay. you would be taught how to live life without reading facial cues. not how to do it.

trust me ur not an autist. i know a lot fthem

>>17893609

this paragraph is proof that you're just not retarded. if you were id be a lot more attracted to you right now.
>>
>>17893619
hhahahahaha fuck off you seem like you make a lot of assumptions and quite frankly i am not very attracted to you either.
>>
>>17893649

>you seem like you make a lot of assumptions

you literally asked for assumptions. your opening post was:
>Am I autistic or does it just seem that way from how I act?

there is no way to answer that without assumptions anon. its like i said in an earlier post 'i dont know you BUT'.

>quite frankly im not very attracted to you either

forgive me, what i meant to imply is that im very 'parental'. the reason im drawn to autists in work, volunteering, socializing, and even dating is that they tug on my heart strings. i feel the need to wrap my arms around them and tell them they'll be okay and that im here for them.

wehreas in your case i want to just point you in the right direction give you a smack on the ass and tell you you're on your way.
>>
>>17893663
alright then thanks for your opinion. What I really was trying to communicate was that your assumptions about me so far have been wrong so I don't really value your opinion. It throws into question your judgement in general. but even that I only said because you felt the need to tell me you are not attracted to me lmao my mama loves me what the fuck would i need you for anyways
>>
>>17893663
http://autismdigest.com/learning-to-read-facial-expressions/
haha ya see? not like that is a great source but the amount of material a quick google search generated seems like you may need a refresher
>>
>>17893663
maybe you are more attracted to helplessness than autism... you should think about that because you aren't really helping anybody if your pre conceived ideas about their abilities limit their chances to gain skills they need
>>
>>17893696

>your assumptions are wrong

so are yours. you're not autistic.

>>17893701

did you read it? cuz it doesn't teach you how to read facial expressions, but rather how to survive without having to read them directly.

its like asking a blind person to look at something and tell you you what it is. its impossible.

isntead they teach you how to live without seeing (or in this case, reading) by using round about methods that still dont achieve the same goal. for instance, feeling something instead of looking at it as with the blind analogy.

>>17893709

anon, you think you're autistic and you're not, and you're so obsessed with the idea t5hat you'd be autistic that you're arguing against someones entire life as a volunteer in order to comfort yourself into having it.

i cant tell you the number of studies I've been a part of. i literally spent christmas with autists at a bar, yesterday.

etiher ay, ill stop responding if that makes you feel more comfortable.
>>
File: SBDKL.png (113KB, 590x442px) Image search: [Google]
SBDKL.png
113KB, 590x442px
>>17893486
hehe
>>
>>17893741
I don't assume that it is a logical possibility based on experience and information available to me so I am trying to explore it. An assumption is when you hold something to be true without proper evidence backing up your belief.
NO REALLY DID YOU READ IT? yeah that is exactly what they are talking about. READING THEM. YOU LOOK AT SOMETHING AND GATheR ITS MEANING BASED ON EXPERIENCE. it's not like some special sense that people either have or don't have, it's a skill that can be learned. the information in that article, if you read it... well I can't find a quote that proves I am right but if you bother to read it i don't see how they are talking about doing anything but interpretting facial expressions. you look at face, you gather what face means, you act accordingly. what are you talking about? how is it like blindness at all? whether it comes naturally or not, this is a skill that can be taught to some extent. nobody is born with it?
na, i don't THINK that, and i'm not obsessed with it you offended me hahah so i feel the need to point out your faults because that is all i can do from this type of distance is try and get you to think about yourself and maybe get a little uncomfortable because you are wrong although relaly in the end this would really help you but i would probably suspect your ideas do not line up with reality and you know it so you just get uncomfortable without thinking hard enough to change your view...
I don't want any type of mental disorder. i just don't really feel like you have the skills to objectively evaluate if I did or didn't. despite your claimed experience you come off as incompetent even in an area you claim is a passion of yours. and I am concerned that your unwillingness to re evaluate some of your beliefs and attitudes will have a detrimental effect on the good work you are trying to do.
>>
>>17893741
i mean seriously
"you aren't retarded. if you were i would be more attracted to you."
that statement is just kind of concerning coming from somebody that says they are an advocate of a group of people with disabilities.
>>
>>17893741
>etiher ay, ill stop responding if that makes you feel more comfortable.
no don't stop
>>
>>17893741
>i cant tell you the number of studies I've been a part of. i literally spent christmas with autists at a bar, yesterday.
you literally spent christmas with autists at a bar huh? what, did you think somebody would mistake that for a figure of speech?
in what way were you involved with these studies ?
>>
>>17893525
>the whole 'IM AN AUTIST' 4chan meme is just that, a meme. its something people have begun to try and convince themselves so they can lose responsibility for thier actions. its like tumblr with their 'thyroids'.

This. I know a guy who excused his shitty behavior with, "I know I'm an asshole, but I am like this!"
>>
>>17893525
Autism is a broad definition.
I'm socially flamboyant but was still clinically diagnosed.

Fuck off.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.