[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a deaf person anything.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

File: Dead_Silence_perk_MW3.png (28KB, 178x169px) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Silence_perk_MW3.png
28KB, 178x169px
Ask a deaf person anything.
>>
Was there a point when you weren't deaf?

If not, can you grasp the concept of hearing?
>>
>>17891924
Do you still pay for minutes with your phone plan?
>>
Do you dream with sounds?
Are you aware that farts make noises, and if you are, how do you manage the risk of letting go a noisy one?
>>
>>17891924
Would you want your hearing back(or receive it in the first place) if you could? Or do you think being deaf has become too large a part of who you are to change?
>>
What!?
>>
What's your favorite song?
>>
>>17891924
you're cool af
>>
Can you read peoples lips
>>
>>17891973
Lmao
>>
I know that a lot of people who are deaf take offence at the idea of cochlear implants because they dislike the idea that they're 'broken' and in need of 'fixing'.
But my question is: in a world that is geared so heavily toward the use of hearing, isn't that a little self-destructive?
I'm not meaning to cause any arguments or anything.
I just know that if scientists had a way that I could see microwaves with an implant, I'd be tempted to get it, just for the extra experience.
tl;dr
why would someone NOT want to get an 'extra' sense if they could?
>>
I'd love to go on a date with a deaf woman because I think it'd be intimate as fuck to talk with no one able to hear us
>>
>>17892008
I've heard about this

Deaffags are evidently very hierarchical.
Like if you weren't born deaf, you're a second hand deaf person

And they resist "hearing" people learning signage because it's like encroaching on their territory

That's what I've heard (but they haven't)
>>
I don't think op is listening to our questions
>>
How the fuck are you reading this
>>
>>17892020
That sounds pretty dumb
>>
>>17892008
We blind and low vision people mistrust deaf people and the cochlear deniers are the worst of the elitist bunch. Look, we've got our elitists too. We've got the NFB who demands you be blind and if you're not, they'll blindfold you to teach you "just in case." Even those prideful fuckstains would refuse to use medical devices/implants that would give them eyesight.

So fuck those deaf surgery deniers. As for other deafos like the OP, don't be a dick and thank god you're not blind in this eye-focused world.
>>
>>17892023
Yeah I don't know why we're voicing our questions if op is not hearing us out
>>
>>17892030
You got shit eyes, mate?

How's that?
Fuck OP
>>
>>17891924
Are your dreams silent? Also, is it true deaf people hate hearing people?
>>
>>17892039
I was born 3 months early back in 83. One of the last cases of retinopathy of prematurity according to my doctors. I have always had 20/400 in my right eye and total blindness in my left.

Ask what you want and I'll get to it tomorrow morning.
>>
OP is deaf so he/she obviously can't write back answers to your questions, you silly fucks.
>>
>>17892030
I have a really horrible lazy left eye that can't stand light and a a little less horrible right eye. It's the first I've ever heard (no pun intended on OP) of this prejudice of blinds against deafs.
>>
>>17892030
If you can't see, how did you wind up in this thread?
>>
>>17891924
how did you post that?
>>
aw man i'd have liked op to answer
there's a deaf girl in my class at uni and she seems nice, but no one knows sign language (there were a couple people who did last year but they all moved).
i'm wondering if i should try talking to her, like writing on a piece of paper, or if that would seem out of place
i'd learn sign language but it seems really hard, and i don't know anyone else who knows it so it wouldn't be very useful
>>
>>17892273
i should add that we've been in the same classes for two and a half years now, and we are still going to be for at least a year more it seems
>>
>>17892273
I'm the near blind girl who posted earlier, and not OP, but definitely try to approach. Having a disability is very lonely sometimes, specially for the deaf. Written communication sounds like a great start, but sign language isn't very hard at and a generally interesting skill to have (I had to learn it because I went to a special school). Just start simple. I believe she'll be very grateful, as I am when people make an effort towards me.
>>
>>17892008
Maybe if someone spoke with them, they would change their opinion
>>
>>17892280
>Having a disability is very lonely sometimes, specially for the deaf.
yeah that's what i was thinking. the only people i see her talking to are the interpreters that are sometimes there for classes, but most of the time she's alone/on her phone when we're talking with classmates.
i'll try to talk to her when i have the chance. thank you anon
>>
>>17891924
Can you tell what this dude's saying at the end of the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2cENLKE_o
He muted it for the last 6 seconds or so, but he's still clearly talking.

I'd really appreciate it!
>>
>>17892353
Timed link if you want it
https://youtu.be/Mq2cENLKE_o?t=489
>>
How did you learn to read and write as a deaf person.

What is the biggest obstacle (s) you face.

What is your favorite thing(s) to do.
>>
>>17892020
> listening
>>
>>17891924
Do you feel like you are missing a lot with most media having audio ?
>>
>>17892095
It's a fundamental difference of philosophy. The blind community, such as we are, has no culture. We seek to integrate into the wider culture. As such, we tend to be more outgoing and gregarious on the whole. Deaf people have Deaf Culture which encourages exclusivity, elitism, and insular thinking. It's not so much us against them as it is them against the world. It's not their fault really. It may be a sighted world but deafness removes a lot of the depth from the world at large and annihilates communication from and to it.

Autism has a similar elitism. Some starving autists take their disability with a point of pride and refuse to have it treated. Thos people are abject morons.

Disabilities are hurdles to jump over, not to take home and have sex with.

>>17892137
I'm legally blind. See my other post. Large fonts and a plugin called Dark Reader.

>>17892280
Did you go to the Freemont school that was right next to the deaf school? Or another one in another state? Also, did you get all that "explanation training" shit when you were a kid too? They would take us to fucking Target to Christmas shop so randos would ask us about our disabilities so we could practice explaining them.

Nobody except 4chan is ever curious. Skills, wasted. You're very right about it being lonely too. I met my wife on WoW and she was the only woman I've ever had sex with... and I had to wait until I was 26. Normal women don't see us cripples (of any stripe) as actual date material, just an invalid to pity. THAT is what makes it fucking lonely. We don't even register to a lot of people.

Remember, ables, we have training. We'll fuck your world right, left, up, and down. I've proven that to my wife and any of us cripples can prove it to you too if you're not a dick and they care enough.
>>
>>17891924

http://vocaroo.com/i/s07C34o81FSi
>>
CAN YOU HEAR ME IF I SPEAK VERY LOUD?!
>>
>>17892769
http://vocaroo.com/
>>
>>17892769
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0UC4oWzubLY
>>
>>17892763
I'm from another country, and went to a school that attended to all kinds of disabilities. Not all classes were shared, but some were, so at least there, I don't think this elitism had the chance to develop. After graduation, I met very few deafs, or really, very few disabled folk in general. Save for my best friend since then, who's a mute, I can't say I've had regular contact with them. We were always very encouraged to seek technology and medical treatment, though they made us very aware of intrusive procedures and frequently counseled families who seeking those to help them made up their minds in a fair way. I thought I was pretty lucky to attend, after graduating. They didn't take us to Target or taught us to "explain" ourselves. In fact, since not everyone is born disabled and many children had traumatic events associated with their impairment, they encouraged us to keep it private, and having that taught to you sounds genuinely horrifyng.

Unlike us blinds, mutes, wheelchair folks, etc, I always noticed deafs had a much harder time blending in though. I think they're the lonelies of the bunch. So much of our communication is spoken or dependant on sound, it doesn't surprise me, of course.

>You're very right about it being lonely too. I met my wife on WoW and she was the only woman I've ever had sex with... and I had to wait until I was 26. Normal women don't see us cripples (of any stripe) as actual date material, just an invalid to pity. THAT is what makes it fucking lonely. We don't even register to a lot of people.
As a women, unsurprisingly, I find it very troublesome how often I'm fetishized. Men pursue me simply because they think I'm some frail damsel that needs assistance at every move. I've never had problems having men interested in me, but I've had plenty of problems finding decent men interested. Creeps are all I get.
>>
>>17893072
It's the same kind of pitying patronization in a different, creepier skin.

Having what? The explaining bit? The way they explained it is normies don't understand us. We're different from them. The explanation helps show them that we're not so different and allows us to better integrate with them. Once your disabilities stop being a "thing" that alienates you from people, it's a lot easier (in theory) to live a "normal" life instead of being stuck on disability.

Nobody thought of how bad my lungs were so I got stuck on cripple-checks and homebound but the idea is still a good one I think. We shouldn't want to be apart from people on the whole. I mean sure have a meetup or a guild in WoW or something for when you want to shoot the shit with like-minded folks but we should be in the real world doing things, not at home away from it like my lungs force me to do.

Damn perfumes and colognes and damn every motherfucker who bathes in them... and damn the ADA too.
>>
>>17892763
>Remember, ables, we have training. We'll fuck your world right, left, up, and down.
all right internet tough guy, see you later.
>>
>>17893123
I really never had that much of a problem fitting in. If I'm wearing glasses, very few people notice my disability unless I'm walking, and even then, some people either don't notice the cane, or pretend not to. I've never had to explain anything, except the "Were you born like that or did something happen?" tradional question. Thankfully, I was born blind, so nothing too horrible to mention there either. I'm sorry to hear about your lungs though, anon. Is there anything you do to improve that? Wearing a mask or undergoing treatment? Is there any kind of treatment available for what you have?
>>
>>17893072
what exactly do you mean by "creeps"
it is a pretty uniform for men to want to coddle women they like in one way or another.
you are likely just more defensive about it because of your condition
it's not a deaf person thing, it's just a woman thing.
>>
>>17893817
I think I know the answer. What is, sex?
>>
>>17893846
I was born with it and there's nothing I can do about it except take a fuckload of inhalers and stay away from lung truggers. Thank god I've got my wife. All she's missing is her thyroid.
>>17893861
There's a difference between wanting to spoil your girl/man and legitimately thinking that they're lower than you. Normie white-knights do that to normie chicks. They're terrible with cripples. I've seen it happen to a couple of friends I used to go to school with.

It's the difference between "excuse me, would you care for some assistance" and "AWW! Do you need help?"
>>
>>17893919
i can see that with a blind person but why with a deaf person?
they would have a harder time trying to communicate the desire to help than the deaf person would doing whatever they are
of course, there is always virtue signaling
can you give an example where someone was acting as though you couldn't preform a basic task that didn't involve speaking with people?
>>
>>17894217
I can't because I'm not deaf. You should ask the OP who hasn't answered a single reply. It's like I said above, deaf people have to deal with the world minus the depth (and ability to easily communicate) that sound provides. I'm merely legally blind, partially deaf (I can't filter a lot of sounds like a crowd or outdoors and it gives me migraines,) severely asthmatic, and a sufferer of fibromyalgia since I was born.

What YOU need to answer that is one of those from-birth deaf folks.
>>
>>17892022
Are you retarded?
>>
WTF!? How are blind people posting on the internet!
>>
>>17894613
You should google that. The short version is there are smart blind people too.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.