[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADHD - Should I try medication or get some other help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: adhd.jpg (42KB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
adhd.jpg
42KB, 300x229px
I have had an ADHD diagnose since I was a kid but never gotten any help or taken any medication for it.

I could glide through all my school years basically not studying and I still got good grades. However, now I'm in university (Europe) and I realize I can't study. I get way too easily distracted and my thoughts constantly drift away, even when I'm in an empty room with just my textbooks. This makes me dread studying because of how much of a pain it is to constantly fight myself to not get distracted, so I end up studying even less. Now I'm about to fail out of uni.

Should I try medication? I've heard really bad things about the stimulants but I've also heard some great things. I just want to be able to focus without becoming a zombie or permanently destroying my brain or change personality.

Does some other form of help work?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>
I find it easier to focus on something if I actually have a little tiny bit of distraction. if I have absolutely nothing going on I will get incredibly unfocused because I just need more stimulus. I'll find absolutely -anything- that will fill the space and won't actually get any work done.

You need to cut out things that you know you will get sucked into, like internet and TV (programs like FocalFilter are helpful for this), but you also need to adapt to how your brain needs more stimulus than normal.

For me, the solution is music. Music keeps me engaged and interested enough to work. It's a distraction, but it's not a bad enough distraction that I can't pull myself out of it and get back to the task I need to do.

It also, for me, helps if I make myself accountable. For example, streaming work whenever I can, or making a bargain with a friend that we're both going to do X thing. My bringing other people into the equation and making it so I'll disappoint them or fail my end of the bargain if I don't do something, I make myself more inclined to work.

Keeping a schedule also helps. It takes time to get used to it, but once you've made work a habit, it's easier for your brain to switch gears. It's like the concept of sleep hygeine, only for work.

There are ways to work around it. You need to figure out how your brain works. However, if things like this aren't enough, then you should definitely consider medication. If it's bad enough that you can't treat it through non-medicated means, that means it's bad enough that it's severely affecting your life. The right medication won't change who you are, just give you the ability to function as you should.

Also, if you take medication, ask other people to help you monitor yourself. With a good medication, you oftentimes won't even notice the effect, because it's so subtle that you feel like nothing has changed. But it will have made a difference, and other people will notice.
>>
>>17879620
This is nice. This is what I was looking for. I've tried most of those things in some way, though. Music helps me not get bored as easily, but I have to re-read sentences much more frequently and things like that. Group projevts just make me stressed because I let the others down but I don't actually work better.

My main thing that I get sucked into is internet and phone, but even without those I get stuck in certain thoughts and I start reading things I shouldn't in the book or sometimes just get stuck and can't focus on doing what I should for no reason.

I think a schedule is the best thing, but I haven't really done that properly.

I also have trouble getting to bed on time. I procrastinate really bad.

Thanks so much for your reply!
>>
>>17880078
Try listening to instrumental music if it messes with your ability to read sentences. It's usually the words in songs that do that, since your brain is trying to process language from two sources at once.

When doing stuff that doesn't involve words, music with lyrics is just fine.

Any sort of routine will help you get into the work mode, once your brain start to realize that's what signifies work mode. The same time, the same location, the same snack, the same drink, the same stupid hat, all of these things, when done only when you work, will help your brain switch to work mode once it begins to associate the stimulus with "time to work. it's classical conditioning.

You don't need all of them, but creating and using a consistent habit before and during work time will make your brain eventually learn to switch gears because it uses the signs to recognize it's work time now.
>>
>>17880168
I will definitely try this out. I heard a tip that I shpuld create another user on my PC for work too.

And yeah, when I listen to music and work I usually listen to game or movie soundtracks. Those work fine.

Thanks.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.