[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long story short, I've been surviving off frozen foods and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Long story short, I've been surviving off frozen foods and instant ramen for a while because I'm on my own now.

I've recently come into some money (scratch ticket) and I can afford to buy decent, healthy foods to prepare nice meals for a while (but not forever) so I want to make it last.. The problem is, my parent's never really valued healthy eating so I only know how to buy frozen shit. This is why I had to teach myself how to get /fit/ and eat healthy. So I need to learn how to properly buy groceries BUT I still need to save money.

TL;DR: How do I buy groceries without breaking the bank?
>>
Its impossivle to break the bank buying groceries unless you buy a whole bunch of food that expires before you eat it. You need to make a judgement call on how much you think you can get through and then freeze anything you cant
>>
Start with some recipes and use them to make food in bulk, and then freeze those. You'll end up buying a lot more than you need at first (e.g. a whole bag of salt when the recipe only calls for a spoon) and it'll cost you a lot more at first, but eventually you'll build up a pantry.
>>
Imgur.com/gallery/it5T9
>>
Rice and beans with veggies. Ancient Mexican secret! Easiest shit to make, cheap and tastes mad good. Get the big bags of both, not the 10 minute rice. Frozen veggies can be alright, tho.
>>
with veggies and fruit it's more complicated because they have a shorter shelf life. fruit lasts longer and is generally cheaper when you buy frozen.
if youre looking to eat healthy, i'd prob get fruit and veg for healthy green smoothies and stew. stuff like dark greens (spinach, kale), carrots, celery, potatoes, yams, stewed tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, ginger(for smoothie), bananas, blueberries, mango, oranges and apples. i usually have lots of left overs of both. fish and chicken are also healthy choices.
>>
Cans of corned beef hash are usually less than $1, and pack 20gs of protein a piece.

Get some salt, pepper, shredded cheese for fats and more protein, some hot dog rolls and frozen veggies for carbs. Whole milk will also keep you full.

I need somewhere around 2000 calories a day to keep my weight, and $40 will afford me enough food (more than this) for a week. >>>/fit/ would probably have some pretty decent ideas, >>>/ck/ too
>>
>>17876414

>go to groccery store
>look at their raw ingredients
>compare prices
>go with whats cheapest.

as a general rule chicken is the cheapest. about a dollar per pound if you buy at the right stores. smart and final ha a 40 pounds for 40 bucks kinda deal. that'll last you well over a month.

pork is the second cheapest. about 1.19 per pound depending on the part of the pig.

carrots are generally the cheapest vegetable, like 5 pounds for 2 bucks cheap, its ridiculous.

just go to the s tore see wahts cheap and buy one of everything. taste test them (i grew up similar to you so had literally not tried most fruits) and then go back for what you like.

btw canned fruit is PERFECTLY HEALTHY if you get the kind with NO SYRUP. ive done tests on canned peaches soaked in just juice and its like 5 more calories per serving but all the nutrients are still the same. so if you ever like canned peaches and the like, check that out.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.