[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Degrees and shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (3KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 194x259px
I have a degree in English language and literature.What do I do next for a well paying job that isn't McDonalds
>Suicide
>>
>>17875066
maybe you should have asked this question before spending years & $10,000s getting that degree eh ?

otherwise if you can write try writing stuff, maybe editing ?

or get a degree in computers something you can actually make $$ with

redpill sorry
>>
>>17875066
Meme in China or somewhere else
High school teacher
Work for a relative
Work up from some shit job
Law school maybe
>>
With a degree like that, if you don't have a PhD, then you've wasted your time.
Go back to school and work for a PhD or change your degree.

A BA is 5 credits less than a BSc. Putting BA on your resume is like saying "I was too lazy to work for half a year"
>>
>>17875066
Join the Peace Corps. Africa always needs English teachers. As a bonus, you are helping to change the world for the better!
>>
>>17875066

Ignore previous ignorant comments.

I work in HR for a Fortune 500 company. We hire lots of English majors.

There is of course a catch. No one is going to hire you for your knowledge of Chaucer and Shakespeare. You are going to get hired (1) for the skills you picked up while studying Chaucer and Shakespeare, and (2) for being the kind of person who chose to study Chaucer and Shakespeare.

(1) You can do these things better than 95% of the population: read and absorb new material, draw the significant elements out of your reading, analyse them, combine things read separately into an original and coherent thesis, write effectively and grammatically, work in small groups and independently, etc.

All the things you did in classes and on your own are transferable skills. Just for a start, consider how they apply to market analysis, paralegal work, advertising, technical writing, editing, etc.

(2) The motto of my HR department is "We hire the person, not the resume." A good resume will catch our eye, but the WHOLE point of an interview is to find whether this is the sort of person we (the company and staff) are going to be able to work alongside day after day. And experience gives the edge to liberal arts types over technical or business wonks in all but the most technical jobs.

One other point. The best interview answer I ever got:

Q: What do you know about [our business]?
A: Nothing. Four months ago I knew nothing about Geoffrey Chaucer and I just got an A in the course. I can learn.

We hired him on the spot and he's a star.
>>
>>17875066
The opportunities are endless really. I'm an English major too and work full time as a writer pulling about $70k.

Look for editing and proofreading positions to get your foot in the door. Don't be afraid to cast a wide net and apply for positions you never thought of before. Despite what people say, businesses still need writers of all kinds. No job I ever had after college was something I ever imagined I would be doing, nor was I really qualified for any of them.
>>
>>17875146
Having an English PhD is even more useless than a BA. Good academic jobs are really tough to get, you're overqualified for other things, and you wasted 6 to 10 years of time you could have been building professional experience.
>>
>>17875296
>Hiring people based on meme answers

That really sounds dodgy to be honest.
>>
OP i dont recommend this as a long term career choice, but if you wanna get a TEFL and teach English abroad I hear it's pretty fun.
>>
>>17875296
You lit up my world.
>>
>>17875296
why dont you keep your false hope and positivity to yourself next time
>>
>>17875066
Copywriting buddy
I did journalism and throught I was doomed then I got a job as a freelance copywriter now I'm drowning in work while stemlords get cucked by pajeet
Can't offshore native english speaking ability, friend
>>
>>17876070
Does it pay well-enough to sustain yourself?
>>
>>17876084
Yeah, I got 4k one month. Being a freelancing job, the pay is variable however. There are permanent copywriting positions available for big companies though if you want something more permanent. I just don't like going outside and dealing with co-workers, hence why I stay at home and freelance. I have a recliner in front of my working PC. Who else is that comfy?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.