[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Productive Hobbies/pastimes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Swiss_Jungfrau_mountains.jpg (4MB, 5000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Swiss_Jungfrau_mountains.jpg
4MB, 5000x2500px
Hey /adv/
Just finished first year uni, need something to fill up the days. Due to some family commitments, can't get a full time job these holidays, but I don't need/spend much anyway.
I already lift 6 times/wk, read an hour or two a day, do an hour of study a day for next year's stuff - but there's still so much time in the day.

What other hobbies can I have that are productive or teach me a skill?
>>
>>17874440
Damn, also forgot to mention I'm volunteering 3 times a week at a local elderly home (good for resume and conscience)
>>
>>17874440
Damn, you're too wholesome for 4chan. Although, if you want actual advice, pick up an instrument or drawing or photography or something? Seems like you have a good balance of everything but an artistic endeavour.
>>
>>17874440
I agree with the anon above. The artistic side is lacking. Drawing is affordable and you can pretty much do it everywhere but, as time passes, you'll get discourage because your capacity to see mistakes will surpass your hand skill and you'll soon find yourself unmotivated.

An instrument is the best bet. A cheap guitar or a keyboard is the best choice sinche are the "easiest" to learn. You can find cheap guitars for 100 bucks and there are plenty of tutorials on yt
>>
>>17874545
But if you haven't played music as a kid it's hard to pick up as intuitively. I would go with photography. You can grab a decent camera for not very much and you learn on the go. It also gets you out of the house more.
>>
>>17874551
That's not true. I started playing guitar at 24 and now, 2 years later, I can play fairly decently even if I practiced maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Right now I'm playing in the church band where most of the songs rely on 4 or 5 chords.
It's all about passion and discipline.
>>
>>17874644
Guitar maybe. But if you want to be in a band or something you have to be above decent. Guitarists and singers are a dime a dozen.
>>
>>17874440
Decide to educate yourself in some topic or area you vaguely feel a college graduate ought to know something about.

Art - go to museums, and read up on the artists or paintings you like.

Music - classical, opera, classic rock, pre-rock pop, whatever

Politics and world affairs - just what is going on out there?

Your city or area - become a tourist in your own home town and learn its history and attractions.
>>
>>17874666
OP here - I always liked Impressionism, so I might start reading into that more. Thanks a tonne
>>17874545
I've done a bit of drawing in the past, so I may try getting back into that. Otherwise, always wanted to learn the violin so may just try giving that a go. Thanks again
>>
>>17874658
He asked for an hobby or something to fill the time. Guitar is the best choice. You don't need to be in a band or become a rockstar, you can learn 4 chords and sing love songs on the beach.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.