[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here know about working for Amtrak? Should I try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: amtrak-train.jpg (134KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
amtrak-train.jpg
134KB, 1000x620px
Does anyone here know about working for Amtrak? Should I try getting a job with Amtrak? I don't know what I'd do but I have a relative that has been with Amtrak for like 30 years, and claims he could get me a job with them. I've heard Amtrak and the railroad in general has amazing benefits and pay(Since it's a union job), my relative in question claims I'd never find a better job but I think he said I'd have to move out of state and attend training in a different state as well.

Should I look into it? I'm not gonna lie but I'm a 24 year old college graduate with no white collar experience under my belt, I'm having a tough time looking for work and I had a B.A in Communications. Like I said, I'm not sure what I'd be doing for Amtrak but I figured it'd be full time and I'd make good pay with benefits. My dad told me he got offered a job by this same relative a long time ago before I was born and regrets not talking it, my dad told me if he had taken the job he'd be making a lot more than what he is making now and could have retired earlier. Probably the biggest regret of his life, at least that's what he tells me.

I'm kind of nervous but I think it'd be a good thing to experience something new in life, I always wanted to travel the country as well. My mom has been pretty negative about, claims I wouldn't like it and I should try to find some new office job in the big city but that isn't going so well for me and thanks to the power of nepotism I could probably get a good job with good benefits.

I'm just nervous about leaving my home state to go somewhere else for training and a job, it's intimidating because I've never really left my home state. The only time I lived on my own was at college, but that was in a dorm, and even then I only lived like 2 hours away from my family and the college kind of gave us amenities . I think it's a lot scarier when you have to purchase your own food, and kind of do things on your own but I guess that's part of being an adult.
>>
>>17874333
Hey desu if you have a shot and already seem to like it and have the senpai connection.

Be humble, it's a good career and sustains you for life. My family has worked in the freight and international privatized transportation industries for four generations. I am partially blind so obviously I can't work those jobs.

You make your own commitments. And yeah aging is pretty painful on the body even if you just sit on your ass till the day you die.

Traveling between states, working with a team, starting young and staying humble knowing what your senpai has earned and provided to you with their lifes work as a sobering backdrop to how you respect the job is a blessing.

You can also always just try, end up failing hard at it, and just going back to your communications focus, or have learned enough from this opportunity to contribute to your future.

Everything is experience, but sometimes you get lucky and land a decent job that makes sense and keeps you fed while meaning something too.

I'm 25 years old. I sound like an old ass man, but I'm not lucky or able bodied/minded enough to hold a working career. But god even I would love to be considered okay enough to have a simple realistic job that could last and make me feel human. More human that my online certificates and 4chan...
>>
>>17874333
I would recommend doing it, but keep in mind you would probably be throwing out your chances of getting a white collar job later on, but from the sound of it you aren't cut out from one of those anyways.

Do you have a job right now? What kinds of jobs are you looking for?
>>
>>17874424
What do you mean I don't sound like I'm cut out for a white collar job? I mean, I could probably do something in the white collar field. What's the point of having a college degree then? Figured if you had a college degree you had a better shot of getting a white collared job. I didn't think you could get a white-collared job without one, also I really don't know what kind of jobs I'm looking for.

That's the issue, I don't have a lot of motivation and don't know what I want to do. I'm not even entirely sure what I can do with my degree besides sales, and even then I'm not really interested in sales. I'm currently working part-time at an antique shop making like $8/hour, I looked up where most of the jobs at Amtrak pay at least $14/hour if not higher. A lot of them pay close to $20/hour even so I could be making at least double what I'm making now and working 40 hours a week while earning benefits.

I don't think that's bad money at all, I'd making probably at least $40,000 a year and that's a lot of money to me considering I don't have kids and I'd only have to support myself.
>>
File: 1480366717041.png (72KB, 512x497px) Image search: [Google]
1480366717041.png
72KB, 512x497px
>>17874420
>have the senpai connection
>staying humble knowing what your senpai has earned
Jesus Christ man, is typing the extra three letters really that much effort?
>>
>>17874956
Take the job. It seems like it's almost guaranteed. Since it's a union job the odds of ever having to find another job are very slim. Both of these things are hard to come by today for a decent job. Read those lines over again.

While the salary is only okay, even if you hit $20/hour, like you mentioned for someone your age that's pretty good money as a single 20 something guy plus benefits are good. Especially the retirement end of benefits which you'll be thankful you started early.

I'm older than you but I almost had to move across the country for my job and I would have done it. Building a career is an important aspect to growing. Sometimes it means making difficult choices and doing things you're unfamiliar with. So just do it. Worst case scenario you don't like it after awhile and you quit.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.