[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I deal with a hoarder family member

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: The-kitchen.jpg (1MB, 2896x1944px) Image search: [Google]
The-kitchen.jpg
1MB, 2896x1944px
My mother is a hoarder, not very extreme, as the tv shows depict it, but it's pretty messed up. The garage is literally full and no car can enter it, one room is completly full of stuff and there is clutter everywhere. I have helped her before to cleap up the mess, but it's a lot. Sometimes when I try to help, she gets defensive, and wants things done by her way. Seriously, it's a pretty bad situation. How can I solve this problem, or should I just move out of the house and let her deal with it herself?
>>
>>17873577
Bump
>>
>>17873577
>or should I just move out of the house and let her deal with it herself?
Got it in one.
>>
>>17873616
I was thinking about it, and I will, I'm tired of it.
>>
Did you try watching an episode of hoarders with her?
>>
File: IMG-20161219-WA0005.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161219-WA0005.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>17873577
Part of the garage as proof it's not a shitpost
>>
>>17873636
holy fuck

I recommend throwing all that shit out dude, maybe hire a trailer or something and get some your bros to help you out.

Make her go see a movie or something to get her out of the house
>>
>>17873636
what the fuck is in that shit?
>>
Are clean hoarders a thing though? You know wanting to keep a bunch of stuff but actually keeping it not dirty?
>>
My dad is the same. Not disgusting like mould and shit, but a whole lot of old garage sale shit.
Does she want to make money off the stuff she has, or does she just want to keep it?
Honestly, I think the best bet is some sort of ultimatum.
>>
>>17873755
This will create a huge amount of anger and hostility. She is probably using her hoarding as a type of coping mechanism. I would recommend against this
>>
>>17873809
recommend something else then.

Some people need to be put in their place for them to be able to finally make a change
>>
>>17873848
People don't have "places", they only have a place in relation to your life, which is why I suggested the ultimatum (>>17873802). If she cares more about op than here mass collection, then you should be able to come to an agreement about what to get rid of. You can't just remove someone's coping method and expect everything to be dandy. Then again, OP can always just distance themselves from their mother. If that is the only way she wants to be living, then thats her prerogative.
>>
>>17873577
you should be sending this exact word for word post in an email to Hoarders or Oprah channel...

dead serious. They need new episodes, and they actually help if they choose you.

Your welcome
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.